Confused... Looking for a portable amp (for Beyerdynamic DT1350 and others)
May 24, 2011 at 5:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

CarefulDogg

New Head-Fier
I just ordered the Beyerdynamic DT1350. Since these headphones seem to react well to amplification, I'd like to get my first and only portable headphone amp to use with them. The amp should serve me as a long-term investment, so it should not only work well with the DT1350, but all my future portable headphones.

First I looked for small, rechargeable amps like the RSA Shadow and P-51 Mustang, but reading about them, made me confused whether these are made for full-sized headphones or IEMs, and therefore wonder if these are the right amps for me. I'm even more relunctant since I'm also planning to use the amp for all my future phones.

So my head turns to amps like RSA SR-71A and Corda Stepdance. From what I've read here, these seem to do the trick for most headphones, but the fact that it uses 9V batteries is kind of a turn-off. I'd rather not change the battery every 30 hours.

So I'm confused. What should I pick? Any suggestions?

May 24, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #2 of 9
For an intersting overview of some of the more popular portable amps try this link
http://www.headfonia.com/the-usual-suspects-12-portable-amps-compared/

I've got the DT1350s and the TTVJ portable, goes together well, but I think you probably need to identify what "voicing" you like and choose your amp accordingly. The above article and some research here on Head-fi should help in that sense.

regards,

Giles

May 24, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #3 of 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarefulDogg /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So my head turns to amps like RSA SR-71A and Corda Stepdance. From what I've read here, these seem to do the trick for most headphones, but the fact that it uses 9V batteries is kind of a turn-off. I'd rather not change the battery every 30 hours.

Bingo - that was one of my criteria when I went amp shopping, having spent two years with the D4. Many of the amps currently on offer have good power output and rechargeable battery packs - even some of the older amps like the iBasso T3 and D10/D12 have this feature, afaik.

IMO, the best combination is a rechargeable battery pack charged via a USB connection, even if it means carrying a USB hub - I have enough wallwarts in my life. From there, you just need to shortlist your candidates then start looking for impressions re sound.

May 25, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
How do the iBasso P4, D12 and D6 compare to the SR-71A?

Who knows - thats roughly $1400 worth of portable amps right there. Mike at Headfonia would be one of the few who have heard them all - I suggest you ask that question on his site.

Jul 8, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #6 of 9
I've got the same issue but I was looking in the sub $100 range. My main concern is portability as I will be using them with portable headphones on a portable source. DT1350 with iPhone. I'd like to know how the Fiio E11 and the JDS Labs CCMOY compare through the DT1350 currently I have not listened to enough headphones to have a preference in sound signature but I listen mostly to classic rock and the most tasking musical reproduction would probably be in Journey and Queen. I read the the E11 wasn't smooth and had good bass and the JDS Labs CCMOY does not have as good of bass. Now I much prefer the style of the E11 and the portability but if it won't mix well with my DT then I'm not interested. I've never owned an amp before so I won't be so picky but I still like to know I'm getting a good deal.

Jul 8, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
I've got the same issue but I was looking in the sub $100 range. My main concern is portability as I will be using them with portable headphones on a portable source. DT1350 with iPhone. I'd like to know how the Fiio E11 and the JDS Labs CCMOY compare through the DT1350 currently I have not listened to enough headphones to have a preference in sound signature but I listen mostly to classic rock and the most tasking musical reproduction would probably be in Journey and Queen. I read the the E11 wasn't smooth and had good bass and the JDS Labs CCMOY does not have as good of bass. Now I much prefer the style of the E11 and the portability but if it won't mix well with my DT then I'm not interested. I've never owned an amp before so I won't be so picky but I still like to know I'm getting a good deal.

http://www.headfonia.com/music-on-a-budget-sub-100-portable-amps-shootout/
just saw that..

Jul 8, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #8 of 9

Users who are viewing this thread

Back