Confused in choosing a Amp/DAC
Feb 21, 2010 at 4:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Metalspree

Head-Fier
I am confused in choosing Amp/DAC.I have a laptop and a creative X-fi USB sound card .I have a Philips SHP9000 which is been lying unused from the day i got ( purchased it in India for a steal deal) .I tried using it with the sound card but feel that the sound card is not doing justice so looking for an Amp/DAC.I want it to be portable so that i can use it with my Cowon D2 as well.I have RE1 which i pair with cMoy as of now but i am not liking the sound signature that much .

I tired pairing the sound card -->cMoy-->RE 1 it sounds brilliant.I want same kind of sound on the GO and same out of the SHP 9000.Spoke to Indian Head-fier and cornered to get the D4 Mamba as it has DAC and AMP .I am confused here again because the D4 can last only upto a 9hours usage on a 9V battery,purchasing a 9V every time is going to be expensive here in New Zealand and looking at the images i feel its big to carry around,so i thought of the below setup.

Get a uDAC and a T3 or T4 .I wanna know which is a better setup and which sounds good enough( I am a bass head) .I might upgrade to the Triple Fi's in some time and get a decent headphone as well.I will be using the headphones with the laptop only and not on the GO.

Can some one post images of comparing it with any player like the cowon or ipod .I wanna make a good investment and my total budget is limited to $250 USD (Including shipping to NZ,might stretch $10 or 20 MAX ).

Please help me out in choosing the right product .

Feb 23, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #2 of 10
Bump.... 85 views and not a single reply
frown.gif

Feb 23, 2010 at 5:18 AM Post #3 of 10
Sounds like you could use a usb dac/amp. Typically you can use them powered from USB or from a battery. You can also use them as a usb dac/amp or amplifying an analog source like your Cowon.

Some examples are the Meier audio Corda Move, ibasso d10 and d2, pico dac/amp, RSA predaor, etc. There are many more.

I believe the uDac alone would suit your needs. It's a usb dac and can also amplify the signal to your headphones. Though it's not battery powered so you can't use it with just your Cowon.

Feb 23, 2010 at 6:07 AM Post #4 of 10
How is the T4 as a portable amp for IEM's(RE1) i saw one of the replies of ClieOS that E5 is 70% of T4 .I already have a E5 but want a better portable amp

Feb 23, 2010 at 7:52 AM Post #5 of 10
I personally feel you shouldn't go for a T3/T4. I don't feel it would be worth the upgrade from your cmoy.
But however, uDAC + T4 would still be a great option if you are mainly looking to improve sound quality on your headphones.

If you want a DAC/Amp then, the Corda 3move or the ibasso d10 would be good.

You'll have to choose if you want a separate DAC or a combined DAC/amp.

Feb 23, 2010 at 7:55 AM Post #6 of 10
Thanks for that reply viralbug.I am not against a combined DAC/AMP , i just feel that its too heavy to carry around that all.If some one here tell me how much does the D4 Mamba weigh that will be great.How big is it when compared to the cMoy( JDS Labs v2)??

Feb 23, 2010 at 7:59 AM Post #7 of 10
From their website for D4
Quote:

Measures 55*21*92mm, and weighs 130g

It isn't that big or heavy in my opinion. As for the battery, you can buy rechargeable 9v batteries. That would be better than having to buy new ones every now and then.

Feb 23, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #8 of 10
The uDac is designed to drive headphones as well. No need to use another amp with it, especially on the go.

Amps these days are fairly small, some just a little more hefty than an ipod.

Feb 23, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #9 of 10
Punnisher is right. unless you need something for your portable rig (i.e. ipod), then the udac should be just fine. however, good luck finding one right now as it seems everyday there is another WTB: udac thread on this forum because it's sold out everywhere else right now (afaik).

Feb 23, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #10 of 10
Just wanted to add that the only dac/amp I've heard is my corda 2move. I'm not recommending any of the others based on sound because I've not heard them. I am just throwing out some options so you can narrow down your selection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back