Computer Power?
Jul 26, 2006 at 3:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

KevC

100+ Head-Fier
"Stick it at the source, it all flows downwards".

I'm talking about power supplies/cords. I'm using a computer as a source. I never thought of upgrading my computer's power cord (though I have an "ok" power supply cos I used to overclock).

Do people bother upgrading computer's power source to improve sound quality? Since the signal is digital anyway (if I'm using an external DAC) then it shouldn't matter right? They're just 1s and 0s. Stick the nice power supply/cable to the DAC?

Jul 26, 2006 at 3:49 AM Post #2 of 37
I thought along the same line as you. But no, it needs power filtering too. Im just wondering if using a power conditioner is enough or do i have to go through the extra step of buying a ups battery.

Jul 26, 2006 at 4:30 AM Post #3 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevC
Do people bother upgrading computer's power source to improve sound quality?

Most people do not do this but I do. Does it make a difference? Yes but unless you go extreme, it may not make a difference because the computer is a noise generator in itself. There are many power issues along the way. A power cord on the computer is just the beginning. I believe I have one of the more extreme computer setups. But let me fast forward a little. If you get an external wireless transport/source like a squeezebox you are basically outside the computer and are thus independant of it so don't have to worry about the computer's power issues. It's a shortcut to better quality. Since I do a lot of computer stuff, I also need a "standard" good setup with a soundcard so I worry about it.

I use balanced power for my computer system. Every device is on a separate power filter. My switches, routers, and hubs are all modded. All power cords have been upgraded. All external perhipheral wires like my usb, firewire cables, have ferrites. The computer systems are on separate power lines. My PSU, motherboard, and soundcard are all modded. Fans are run off external power. I have more tweaks but my point is that there are many thing inside a complicated computer device which can be tweaked to gain more quality here and there. For most people, they are better off spending on actual audio components rather than tweaking. I need my computer for a living so I need maximum pretty much everything.

Jul 26, 2006 at 9:02 AM Post #4 of 37
How then would you explain the use of 'standard copper wires' (PSU internal wirings, PSU-to-mainboard auxilary & 12V cables, etc)? Even if you upgrade your power cord, don't these become severely limiting factors as well?
wink.gif

Jul 26, 2006 at 9:09 AM Post #5 of 37
I use optical out on the Mac Mini I have connected to my DAC. I think that's sufficient to overcome any problems with the computer power supply. It sounds great, and I don't hear any problems with it.

Jul 26, 2006 at 8:10 PM Post #6 of 37
Unless you have really bad power, line conditioners and power cords will not make much of a difference. A UPS will increase reliability and is thus recommended. (Even the most determined overclockers usually just use normal power cords and pay only a little attention to power conditioning.) The power supply itself, however, is very important as far as power quality goes. PC Power & Cooling is said to be the absolute best (although Fortron, Zippy, and OCZ are also very good).

Jul 26, 2006 at 9:47 PM Post #7 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik
I use optical out on the Mac Mini I have connected to my DAC. I think that's sufficient to overcome any problems with the computer power supply. It sounds great, and I don't hear any problems with it.

Yes, nothing in your audio chain is electrically connected to your computer when using a fiber-optic cable.

Jul 27, 2006 at 12:53 AM Post #9 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Serge44
I am using PS Audio Extreme Plus power cord for computer and it makes huge difference in my rig. No way stock power cords anymore.

I'm really curious how this changes things. Isn't the signal that is sent digital anyway?

Jul 27, 2006 at 1:47 AM Post #10 of 37
If you want to build good computer-as-a-source rig, key word is power.
Power cord itself working as a power filter.
Any of power cords I tried was better than stock one.
PS Audio power cord was the best choice for matching with M-audio Audiophile 192 sound card. Lacking of bass is one of M-audio traits. You know, PS Audio is a bass monster in a cable realm, it has tight, deep and precise bass (sometimes too much upper bass) and a bit highs roll-off. Plus very nice black background. It
deeeeply increased soundstage in my system and added weight to mp3 files. Even some my pourly recorded low bitrate files won from such combination. Moreover, nasty harsh "digital" highs disappeared.

Jul 27, 2006 at 2:28 AM Post #11 of 37
Are you serious??? What power supply do you use?

Jul 27, 2006 at 3:12 AM Post #13 of 37
Quote:

DIY.

You use a DIY ATX psu? If so I'd be really, really interested in seeing pics and specs and stuff. That's just awesome, I've only ever known of one other person who has done that.

Jul 27, 2006 at 6:46 AM Post #14 of 37
Quote:

If you want to build good computer-as-a-source rig, key word is power.
Power cord itself working as a power filter.
Any of power cords I tried was better than stock one.
PS Audio power cord was the best choice for matching with M-audio Audiophile 192 sound card. Lacking of bass is one of M-audio traits. You know, PS Audio is a bass monster in a cable realm, it has tight, deep and precise bass (sometimes too much upper bass) and a bit highs roll-off. Plus very nice black background. It
deeeeply increased soundstage in my system and added weight to mp3 files. Even some my pourly recorded low bitrate files won from such combination. Moreover, nasty harsh "digital" highs disappeared.

Same as my first impressions with 1 meter PS Audio xStream Statement. The difference was obvious even with 192 kbps mp3. I use Antec Phantom power supply.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
I use balanced power for my computer system. Every device is on a separate power filter...

You have pics? How big is the improvement when connecting computer into PS Audio Power Plant?

Jul 27, 2006 at 11:54 AM Post #15 of 37
The differences talked about with using various cables are at audiophile levels, also known as very miniscule.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back