Computer Power?
Aug 6, 2006 at 3:29 PM Post #31 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82
I need the Power Plant to demagnetize the computer's power supply to get more clarity.

I changed my mind again and decided to get Nordost Thor instead of keep using the Power Plant. Because I could just unplug the computer from Thor and plug it into the Power Plant to demagnetize it.

I expected I would need to do it once a week, but NO! After 19 hours without demagnetizing it sounded HORRIBLE
frown.gif
. Everything was masked with brightness, I couldn't hear transients, highs were like a big block of brightness and mid-range sounded muddy, every album was like this. It didn't sound like real life.

But then I did the 60 second Clean Sweep for the computer...

OH MY GOD!
eek.gif
Everything sounds SHARP with subtle transients everywhere, they are not masked with brightness anymore! Each album is very sharp and transparent. There's more blackness in between transients.
I can't be without this.

This is sad. Now I need to have loud 40cm fan running on max speed. I could of course buy the Slim Devices Transporter, but then I don't get good sound from movies... Unless I switch around the system every time. I will do it!

Aug 7, 2006 at 2:20 AM Post #32 of 37
I recently started using a PS Audio Plus power cord with my computer. I'm not sure whether or not it really helps the USB output (which is how I get sound data out of my computer), but it certainly has a very significant effect that I can reproduce very clearly for anyone:

The AM clock radio next to my computer actually works now. With my generic PC power cable, I could hardly get an AM signal at all when the computer was on.

Which makes me wonder if other external components, such as my DAC, amplifiers, USB sound device, speakers, and monitor are having a positive effect as well.

Aug 18, 2006 at 7:38 PM Post #33 of 37
Quote:

Cary 303/300 as transport used to be superior to computer because of more clarity. But then I connected computer to P300 Power Plant and the muddiness was gone, $500 computer is at least as good as $4000 Cary now!

There was a problem with heat but I fixed it with a huge table fan. Check the 10 MB video.

I'm back at using Cary 303/300 as transport, after I fixed some problems it's better than computer again.

1) I found out that DAC1 had more clarity when Cary was unplugged from the wall. DAC1 used to be on top of Cary.
2) Valhalla power cord is too thick when using Cary as transport. I modded it into 2 red + 2 black + 1 ground. See pics. Computer had the correct power cord size because it draws 100+ watts. Cary takes about 5-10 watts after I unplugged all the unnecessary stuff inside.

Computer has more detail but less body, I think it's because of jitter. It sounded like real life because it was colored with emphasized detail which appeared more transparent.
After I upgraded my system with tweaks it didn't sound like real life anymore because it was more neutral and showed warmth problems in the system, the problems were Valhalla power cords that were too thick. It all makes sense now, it used to sound too bright and I liked thicker cables better because I thought it was more neutral because soundstage was bigger, but it wasn't, the huge soundstage is still there if there isn't any brightness that masks it.

I need to try 1 conductor for Cary. I will also use Valkyrja internal wiring.

Quote:

Being afraid of the unknown doesn't lead you anywhere.

After heavy tweaking one of my Power Plants blew up, but it didn't stop me from tweaking more. I did multiple tweaks and didn't know which made it blow. I didn't want to remove all tweaks so I removed one tweak and took a gamble and was lucky.
I'm using a new setup now. See pics here.

Using Cary as transport instead of computer saves me more money in 4 months than new Power Plant costs, it was a sign!

Aug 19, 2006 at 3:27 AM Post #35 of 37
I use my computer as (mainly) a digital source via glass optical digital cable in the Computer Rig in my sig, and I get an awful lot of bang for the buck with the Monster PC1000 Clean Power unit ($50 new on ebay), and a Volex 17604 power cord ($8 with shipping from Carlton Bates). Hope you find what will make your ears happy.

Aug 21, 2006 at 2:02 AM Post #37 of 37
Quote:

I need to try 1 conductor for Cary. I will also use Valkyrja internal wiring.

I tried Valkyrja internal wiring. See pics.

I also tried 1 conductor Valhalla for the Cary and I got surprised. It sounded dry, compressed, thin, lifeless, poor dynamics, veiled, empty, no deep bass, less body, narrow soundstage, slightly more brightness. After a day there wasn't any improvement so I went back to 2 conductors.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma
One thing about using a p300 with computers: what happens if the computer's peak power usage exceeds 300watts?

Then Power Plant shuts down. But the display showed a wrong wattage reading so I don't think it shuts off, for my 150 watts computer it showed about 40 watts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back