Computer Power?
Jul 27, 2006 at 10:50 PM Post #16 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerpro3
You use a DIY ATX psu?

Not completely satisified with result right now. I would say, this project in the middle of the process. I like this hobby and hate it.
Changing power supply for Apogee Mini-DAC of my primary concern today.

Jul 28, 2006 at 9:32 PM Post #17 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by star882
PC Power & Cooling is said to be the absolute best (although Fortron, Zippy, and OCZ are also very good).

Yes, my PC Power & Cooling power supply (I think it was a Turbo 510?) was great for overclocking, but it was incredibly noisy. I switched to a Seasonic 500W supply and have been very happy ever since (and my overclocking didn't suffer with the switch either).

Silent PC Review has great information about making your computer quiet, which I consider the single most important thing you can do for your PC if you're using it as your source.

Jul 28, 2006 at 10:40 PM Post #18 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82
You have pics? How big is the improvement when connecting computer into PS Audio Power Plant?

I do not use Power Plant for my computer. That's only used for the clock. I use another balanced power unit for my computer.

Aug 2, 2006 at 8:05 AM Post #19 of 37
Quote:

How big is the improvement when connecting computer into PS Audio Power Plant?

Cary 303/300 as transport used to be superior to computer because of more clarity. But then I connected computer to P300 Power Plant and the muddiness was gone, $500 computer is at least as good as $4000 Cary now!

There was a problem with heat but I fixed it with a huge table fan. Check the 10 MB video.

Aug 2, 2006 at 12:35 PM Post #20 of 37
How many devices are on your P300?

I'd use only 1 or 2 max (1 per outlet). Any more degrades the sound for me. Not because of high load but I believe because of interference.

Aug 2, 2006 at 12:43 PM Post #21 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
How many devices are on your P300?

I'd use only 1 or 2 max (1 per outlet). Any more degrades the sound for me. Not because of high load but I believe because of interference.

Power Plant 1 = Computer
Power Plant 2 = GCC-100 and DAC1

I don't use outlets for my 2nd Power Plant, I soldered power cords to internal wiring instead, it's still easy to unplug them from inside the Power Plant.

Aug 2, 2006 at 1:08 PM Post #22 of 37
Ah. i didn't know you have two P300s. It's wild to spend/use that much on a P300 for a computer.

Why not one for the amp and the other for the DAC?

Aug 2, 2006 at 6:59 PM Post #23 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Ah. i didn't know you have two P300s. It's wild to spend/use that much on a P300 for a computer.

Why not one for the amp and the other for the DAC?

For a year I used Cary 303/300 and amp on separate Power Plants.
Now I use DAC-1 and amp on same Power Plant and still get better sound, so the improvement can't be that big.

I think I'm getting Nordost Thor for my computer to save electricity, if it works good I can use DAC-1 and amp on separate Power Plants. I will re-wire internals of Power Plants with Vishnu, it's temporary until I get more Valhalla
tongue.gif
. Crazy cables, worth much more to me than they cost.
I can also connect my cheap projector into Thor for free. I'm selling my Cary so I can buy Thor...

Aug 3, 2006 at 8:55 PM Post #24 of 37
Quote:

I can also connect my cheap projector into Thor for free. I'm selling my Cary so I can buy Thor...

Uh, I had it planned good but forgot the most important part. I need the Power Plant to demagnetize the computer's power supply to get more clarity.
I already put the Cary for auction with low reserve price.
frown.gif

Now I need to find another "rack weight" that weighs 17 kg so rack is suspended correctly...
I could of course put my computer there but I'm worried of interference reaching my sensitive DAC-1. Maybe I can wrap it in some ERS paper.

Aug 3, 2006 at 10:05 PM Post #25 of 37
I know everyone is free to spend their money however they like, but thinking that your computer's power cable affects sound quality is completely rediculous.

Aug 3, 2006 at 10:15 PM Post #26 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptSnuffy
I know everyone is free to spend their money however they like, but thinking that your computer's power cable affects sound quality is completely rediculous.

It's only ridiculous if you haven't heard it, just like "Valhalla sucks" if you don't have it.

People need to be open-minded and try stuff, how else can you improve? Being afraid of the unknown doesn't lead you anywhere.

Digital cables matter also, it's like a bridge and both sides need to be stable... It's not only the DAC that needs power conditioning. The transport (soundcard) needs to function properly too.

Aug 3, 2006 at 10:22 PM Post #27 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptSnuffy

Thinking is one thing but experiencing is another
wink.gif

I do think it makes a difference but using the Power Plant isn't the best idea. Modding the power supply, motherboard, and soundcard makes more sense.

Aug 3, 2006 at 11:44 PM Post #28 of 37
If the power cable affected digital components inside of a computer and stock cable was used, I have a strong feeling that it would cause bizarre anomalies in it's functionality, and critical government organizations would spend as much as audiophiles do on cables.

Of course I don't know for sure whether or not it affects the sq, since I haven't experimented with it. But based on everything I know, I can't say I believe it.

Aug 3, 2006 at 11:51 PM Post #29 of 37
Sound reproduction and general computer use are different.

Imagine reading a sentence (audio reproduction) vs. having it written in a book (general computer use). If you emphasis different words, the meaning can change. To audio, timing is everything and power is related.

Aug 4, 2006 at 12:20 AM Post #30 of 37
So should we all be using super expensive audiophile grade silver braids for power wiring inside of our computers? Maybe we could open a new branch in the hi-fi industry producing audiophile quality computer parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back