Computer optimisation! (For a newbie)
Jun 5, 2012 at 11:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

kjf123

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

So I'm still a newbie on this here forum and as a result my knowledge is rather, er...well almost non-existent. 

I'm running my AT ATH-Pro 700mk2 ANV straight from my Dell XPS 14z (not a very good purchase I must say... but that's beside the point!). 

I'm just wondering how I can get the most out of my computer before I invest in an entry level dac/amp combo. I'm thinking the Yulong U100 or the Matrix Cube. 

All of my music is in iTunes
20% of it is apple lossless. I am in the process of 'acquiring' more. 
The rest is 320 (except for one album that is 256, but that's only until I can get a physical copy). 
When listening I use the only headphone jack on the computer
I have the volume on full in iTunes and alter the listening volume by changing the actual "computer volume". 

Using the above I have noticed a slight hiss in some (not all) of the 320k and 256k songs. I have not thoroughly listened to the lossless files at this stage so I cannot comment. The hiss I hear is not blatantly obvious, but it is definitely there. It's like when you hear it you can never un-hear it and you'll notice it for every future listen. 

Note: I had suspected it might be due to the way I have my volume. Playing around with it there was no difference. However, my ears are still new to this so perhaps there was a difference and I was unable to pick up on it. 

And that's far too much rambling from me. So, getting to the point: Is there any way for me to optimise my current listening experience (taking into account I am trying to source lossless to replace the 320kbs songs I have ATM) while I wait to order an amp/dac combo? Programs, settings, drivers? 

Any help is greatly appreciated 
dt880smile.png

Karl

P.S. I hope this is in the right sub-forum. If not, could a mod please move it for me? Cheers!

Jun 6, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #2 of 16
First of all you need to ensure where's the hiss coming from. Try to listen to both the compressed and lossless versions. My guess is that its the recording itself. If your PC adds noise it'll do so on all tracks, not some.

Jun 6, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #3 of 16
I'm interested in the same thing.

If you haven't already done so, you can tweak some options in iTunes, Quicktime and the system sounds. This includes matching all bitrates and turning of all sound enhancements.

Jun 20, 2012 at 5:52 AM Post #4 of 16
Sorry to bump this thread but......

I'm still hearing the hiss. I have just spent $60AUD on CDs (albums of which I only had 320 or ~256). Ripped them (apple lossless....) but it's still quite noticeable. 

Now, I've started enjoying classical (noob here) so I got some FLAC of Vivaldi. Particularly Four Seaons... No hiss (to my ears?) through VLC media player. Could be the cans? Check my profile. 

Note: I do have Foobar (if that changes anyting) but I just cannot STAND the controls. I'll have to learn, I guess. Can't say I've spent enough time with the program to determine if the hiss is is from iTunes (apple lossless) or the file itself....

Note: Finished my exams so currently a few beers deep. I hope the above is coherent..

Jun 20, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #5 of 16
I don't know that I can help you much here, but I have one thing to add. Apple lossless has never sounded good to me. Several months ago, I re-ripped my entire cd collection to Apple lossless in itunes to have higher quality on my ipod. I didn't like it all. I sounded wonky to me from ipod to hp's and from ipod to car stereo. I didn't really listen for hiss is particular but the sound was not right. 

I ended up doing a rockbox on my ipod and transferred all my music to it in flac and now it sounds great!!

Jun 20, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #6 of 16
Sorry, but what is a rockbox?

I appreciate the feedback MattTCG. 

Trouble is, I just cannot understand why the same track has hissing from iTunes yet when I play it from VLC there is no hiss????

Jun 20, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:
Sorry, but what is a rockbox?

I appreciate the feedback MattTCG. 

Trouble is, I just cannot understand why the same track has hissing from iTunes yet when I play it from VLC there is no hiss????

Maybe try updating your codecs and ensure you're using WASAPI for the primary sound device

Jun 28, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Per previous posts: I apologize for knowing pretty much nowt..

Could you elaborate please, brunk?

Cheers, 

Karl. 

P.S MattTCG - PM your way. 

1) Update iTunes/QuickTime as per usual.
2) Open QuickTime
3) Go to Edit>Preferences>QuickTime Preferences...
4) Click on Audio Tab
5) "Play Audio Using" Enable "Windows Audio Session"
6) Press "Apply" Press "OK"
7) Test your media playback

Hope that helps :)

Jun 29, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Per previous posts: I apologize for knowing pretty much nowt..

Could you elaborate please, brunk?

Cheers, 

Karl. 

P.S MattTCG - PM your way. 

Give J. river a try - it has a free 30 day trial and I find it one of the best out there for audiophiles:

http://www.jriver.com/index.html

And the support site is great as well:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=23.0

Jun 29, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Give J. river a try - it has a free 30 day trial and I find it one of the best out there for audiophiles:

http://www.jriver.com/index.html

And the support site is great as well:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=23.0

+1 on the JRiver. Only if it had a more robust server like Plex, that would be all I use.

Jun 30, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

For video right?  It still knocks the socks of Plex.  I'm a former Plex user.  It can't come close to Red October (MadVR)

Oh yea, video quality, JRiver hands down (Red October HD rules!). There may still be a way to manually setup MadVR and have Plex benefit though. It's the multi-platform and internet/3G streaming and transcoding (across internet --no bitrate control) it's lacking. Watching John Carter streaming through your iPhone to your In-Dash screen will boggle people
eek.gif
Same with all my ALAC access... tasty for the  15" in the trunk
biggrin.gif

Jun 30, 2012 at 4:39 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:
Oh yea, video quality, JRiver hands down (Red October HD rules!). There may still be a way to manually setup MadVR and have Plex benefit though. It's the multi-platform and internet/3G streaming and transcoding (across internet --no bitrate control) it's lacking. Watching John Carter streaming through your iPhone to your In-Dash screen will boggle people
eek.gif
Same with all my ALAC access... tasty for the  15" in the trunk
biggrin.gif

Yeah, I know - They're working on it though.  Visit the site and read some threads to get a feel for the way they're going.

Jun 30, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Yeah, I know - They're working on it though.  Visit the site and read some threads to get a feel for the way they're going.

Will do, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back