Comply Whoomp! "enhancers" for ear buds, A review: Yeecch!
Jan 11, 2008 at 10:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

tstarn06

Banned
Okay, just because I am an idiot, I spent $22 on these ear bud enhancers, figuring I would try them with my PKs (1s and 3s). I guess I never learned my lesson from the cheesy/ridiculous SlicSound bud enhancers I bought a year ago.

But since it was Comply (I'm a major fan of the Comply short foamies for use with the AL 716s), I figured this was worth a try. But this idea??? Who tested these things? They are sold as iBud enhancers, so I should have known better.

I first tried them with the PK3s/Zune80. All of a sudden, I wondered if my love the PK3s was misplaced. I put the foamies back on and boom, the love had returned. The Whoomp! add-ons decimated the bass.

Even a bigger disaster with the PK1s and the Minibox (also with the Zune). Gave a listen to a couple of artists with high production values, and felt something was seriously missing, mainly the bass, highs and mids. Put the donuts back on, and boom, the missing link - i.e. sound quality - was back with a vengeance. And these are billed as "bass enhancers."

Will I ever learn? I should have just given $20 to a homeless person for food.

Of course, they are un-returnable once you open the package. Duh.

Comply Foam - Whoomp! Earbud Enhancers

Jan 11, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #2 of 17
And I tought you privileged the Atrio, lol
biggrin.gif

regards,

Jan 11, 2008 at 11:52 PM Post #3 of 17
I remember them having holes. Maybe some tape over the holes to seal them up might help; one more shot before you give up.

At least your guinea pig actions are not in vain. You have saved others money.

I also tried the SlicSounds. They make good cat toys!
biggrin.gif

Jan 12, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caribou679 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And I tought you privileged the Atrio, lol
biggrin.gif

regards,

Definitely not a monogomist when it comes to portable phones. Just curious. The Atrios remain the best non-amped IEMs I have experienced, in my limited audio world.

Jan 12, 2008 at 12:10 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remember them having holes. Maybe some tape over the holes to seal them up might help; one more shot before you give up.

At least your guinea pig actions are not in vain. You have saved others money.

I also tried the SlicSounds. They make good cat toys!
biggrin.gif

I'll try the tape. Now it's come down to modding mods. But it is nice to be a guinea pig at only $22.

Yeah, I only have a dog, so the Slicsounds could be a choking hazard, so they went directly to the trash.

Jan 12, 2008 at 2:43 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

I put the foamies back on and boom, the love had returned. The Whoomp! add-ons decimated the bass.

What foamies are these that you use with the PK3?

Oct 14, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #7 of 17
Bump!
I'm very interested by these earbud enhancers as i've tried a few IEMs from Sony and Creative and broke all of them. Now i've come back to ear buds but of course they don't isolate at all in the subway. So will the earbud enhancers help for isolation?
I also found this cheap product
Earbud Buddies(TM) Flexible Vinyl Tips for Standard Ear Buds (2 Pairs) - Earbud Buddies(TM) Flexible Vinyl Tips for Standard Ear Buds
I don't really care about SQ, i'd rather like hearing something bad than nothing at all.

Feb 13, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #8 of 17
.. so I got a pair of these...

yeah, I know... Why spend money improving iBuds when I've got HP-2s and Omega IIs (with a maestrobator and blue hawaii respectively).

I only use my iPod for one purpose: podcasts/audiobooks.

Using my HP-2s walking around listening to RadioLab is just plain silly. (If you've never heard of RadioLab, check it out, it's awesome!)

I also don't really feel like spending the cash on Etys only for noise isolation.

Enter the Whoomp!

It does exactly what I wanted. I can actually hear the damn iBuds w/o maxing out the volume while walking down the sidewalk. The stupid little iBuds also don't keep falling out of my ears.

A job well done. I paid $22, and got exactly what I paid for.

thanks comply

-f

Feb 13, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by fliz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EDIT: after further listening, I've actually concluded that these things do indeed suck, and as it turns out you were right all along. I might edit this part out again later though, because I hate going back on my statements.

I knew you'd come around.

Feb 13, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #10 of 17
mrdeadfolx: that's libel.

I appreciate that you're a part of "team hater", but this forum is for the dissemination of educated options on all things headphone related.

Maybe I put you on the defensive by clowning on the use of an iPod as a legitimate source. If I actually want SQ while walking around, I'll lug my HP-2s and my d777 (I like it more than the d555).

If i want to listen to spoken words like podcasts and audiobooks, SQ is not nearly as big a factor.

I made a statement about my expectations towards the product, and my conclusions on how the product satisfied my expectations.

If you buy these, and put them on a pair of buds that cost a even dollar more than whoomp themselves, expecting them to actually improve SQ, you're an idiot (no offense tstarn06.. but you said it yourself, "They are sold as iBud enhancers, so I should have known better.").

If you buy these, because you don't like how your iBuds fall out when walking or you hate maxing the volume just so you can hear something over the sound of cars driving past, you'll be satisfied, because you'll get exactly what you expected.

really mrdeadfolx, I expect better etiquette from a "headphoneus supremus", but maybe I can't expect much from somebody who finds the time to make 2,192 posts in under two years. I'm from the old school. A time when we thought that this forum was a place for helping the uninformed masses by posting informative reviews, instead of just being a venue for a smart-ass with a high post count.

Feb 13, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #11 of 17
Headphoneus Supremus' are the worst of all...
But its against forum policy to 'quote' someone with any altered text.

May 19, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #12 of 17
i think tstarn06 meant for the ibud enchancers to increase bass quantity and isolation of yuin pk3. So how did it go with tapping the holes? does it improve?

Jun 17, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #14 of 17
Never fall for any "Gimmicks" you should know that by now! Regardless I am very interested in some Comply tips for my in ears.

Jun 18, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #15 of 17
Oh I remember the time I suddenly lost my mind and dropped $12 on the griffin version of these, boy was I sorely disappointed. (Don't ever go shopping after many days of writing exams!) Thankfully my brother loved them, so it wasn't a total writeoff.

The main thing was that without a bassline, it's really hard to follow what you're listening to in noisy external environments, and the music itself becomes noise. The only solution is an IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back