Comply Heat-Activated Foam Vs Shure Black Foam (UPDATE: COMPLY TX)
Jul 6, 2009 at 11:10 AM Post #61 of 75
Eek, it looks like a spider made its home inside the Tx Comply.
eek.gif

I have the normal T-100 for my SE530, and although it sure is comfortable, I can't help but wonder if it's the reason for the weird sound signature I'm hearing. I guess I should stop being lazy and try some other tips by now.
tongue.gif

Jul 6, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #62 of 75
How about the size? I usually pick large size for good seal. BUT, Shure's large is so "large" (I can't find the right word, maybe too dense?), it gives me a little bit more unwanted pressure; medium is more comfortable. Should I choose large for Comply?

Jul 6, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #63 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by david1978jp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about the size? I usually pick large size for good seal. BUT, Shure's large is so "large" (I can't find the right word, maybe too dense?), it gives me a little bit more unwanted pressure; medium is more comfortable. Should I choose large for Comply?

Look at the pictures above for size, the TX is the same as the T Series in size, and the T series is side by side with the Black Medium Foams in the first photos.

Jul 10, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #64 of 75
Note that since these are black, they don't turn to that ugly yellowy grey after awhile like the normal Comply's do...

Jul 11, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #65 of 75
I'm currently using the Comply foams on my W3 and there's a huge hit on high frequency - almost to the point of sounding muffled. Adjusting my EQ helped tremendously. The silicone tips perform nicely, both seal and SQ for my ears. In terms of comfort: comply > shure olives > silicone.

The shure olives put a tad too much pressure on my ear when they're new. After awhile, though, they're cozy. Pulling them out of my ear can be a chore though, lol! In contrast, the Comply can be pulled out with little friction.

As far as I can tell, comply tips won't last nearly as long as the shure foams.

Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yep no problem using them; although to my ears they dont to the greatest job. they are a bit sibilant and accentuate the slight bump in the bass on W3. just like they do on SE530. IMO the black foams cause problems on any can they are used with. better isolation (slightly), more durable but to me they harm the SQ. I use comply on my SE530 too

Jul 11, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #66 of 75
the only tips that give a decent seating on the triple.fi 10,
i said this once, and i will say this again, i will NOT pay rent on my IEM´s
the comply tips are extreamly fragile and wear out quite often, its not about that they absorb dirt and wax better then a bloody hoover, its that i had to replace the tips every 10-12 days becuase they would RIP, i might have dirty ears, but from reading around the forums, i dont see many people who have pairs of comply tips that go beyond 3 weeks of service, 3 pairs are 15 euros delivered ? and they last me around a month, month and a half ? i have IE8´s, which cost 200 euros, so, that means that 1 year of comply tips would cost me a minimum of 120 euros, (assuming 2 pairs tossed out per month), thats 60% of the cost of the earphones on just tips, and at my rate, of replacing tips every 10 days, it would be around 170 euros, which is 85% of the cost of the IE8, its insane, its beyond a tax, its paying rent on something you bloody own,

Jul 11, 2009 at 4:36 AM Post #67 of 75
Aevum - I totally hear you on the disposable tips. I started with the UE SF3 and the ONLY tip that I can wear them with are the Comply and they deteriorate real fast. That's when I started looking at the Shure line of products. Their black foam looked interesting and from what I've heard, they can last significantly longer. Also, I discovered their soft silicone tips are compatible with my ears
smily_headphones1.gif
at one point, I'll have to start training my ears to start using those exclusively. I've never had any luck with the double/triple flange inserts. Do they irritate newbie ear flesh?
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the comply tips are extreamly fragile and wear out quite often, its not about that they absorb dirt and wax better then a bloody hoover, its that i had to replace the tips every 10-12 days becuase they would RIP, i might have dirty ears, but from reading around the forums, i dont see many people who have pairs of comply tips that go beyond 3 weeks of service, 3 pairs are 15 euros delivered ? and they last me around a month, month and a half ? i have IE8´s, which cost 200 euros, so, that means that 1 year of comply tips would cost me a minimum of 120 euros, (assuming 2 pairs tossed out per month), thats 60% of the cost of the earphones on just tips, and at my rate, of replacing tips every 10 days, it would be around 170 euros, which is 85% of the cost of the IE8, its insane, its beyond a tax, its paying rent on something you bloody own,

Jul 11, 2009 at 6:20 AM Post #68 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Know where you're coming from, but i can squeeze two months out of a pair of TX-100 on my Se530. Still not that great, cause i can 10 months on the foams that came with my 530.

Aug 16, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #69 of 75
A little bump for this thread. Good info from MaoDi and others. I had an extra pair of T400 that I really like the sound of on my CK10's. Just can't justify the cost though. Nice comparisons in this thread between the Comply and Shure.

Had to go with the 5-pack of Shure's for $11.99 shipped from Butterfly Photo instead of the $14.95 + tax from Radio Shack for the T400 3 pair pack. 6 pair of the Comply is over $32 and the 5 pair of the Shure will last way longer.

Aug 26, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #70 of 75
Good thread. I have TX-500s on order for my UE Triple-Fis. I have been happy with silicon tips but comfort could be greater. My previous experience with "one size fits all" (NOT) Comply's was a disaster as they wouldn't stay in. Hoping that the larger size I ordered does the trick. The black colour and wax guard also both look promising.

Aug 26, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #71 of 75
I just received some T-100 black larges for my UM3X. Incredible fit and sound. I detect a pinch more clarity than with the longer P-series ones that came with the IEM's. I think the added length may absorb some of the high frequecies. Just a theory.

Aug 27, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #72 of 75
Great thread. I'm using the Comply tips that came with the C710. With their softness, I would rate them a tad more comfortable that the Shure black foamies. They seem to have the inner canal pressure in between the small and medium Shure tips. The Shures are very durable with their foam density and coating.

Aug 28, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #73 of 75
FYI...as touched on above the large Shure "olives" are larger than the large T-100 complys. I have the large T-100 complys and they are = in size to the Shure medium "olives."

Aug 28, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #74 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlbrach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
comply tips are softer and do not last as long...the shure tips are more durable and can be washed off without ruining them....the problem i have with the comply tips is that when you put them in your ear they tend to get rather mushy and take a while to get their shape and consistency back..as a result if you use them and take them out for a moment it is difficult to put them back in immediately..whaereas the shures do not have that problem...i wish the comply tips were more durable and quicker to recover after use because on balance i like them more and i receive better isolation using them...they are both excellent however

I think that is the selling point for me with the Comply. Them being so soft when heat is introduced my ears are really loving that. If someone is having a seal issue if their headphone line was tugged you need to go behind the ear for better security or go for a thicker Comply and shave it down a little bit. The softer the better!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back