complimentary phones to the LCD-2
Jun 15, 2011 at 10:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

sesshin

100+ Head-Fier
LCD-2 owners, do you find your headphones to be the be-all end-all when it comes to listening pleasure? As in that's the only pair you'll need for the foreseeable future. Or is there another pair (or pairs) that you feel compliments the LCD-2? Possibly picking up slack in the areas where it lacks.

Personally I love my LCD-2s but still find myself wondering if I'm missing something or how it stacks up against other headphones. Seems like the upgrade bug is never over!

Jun 15, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #2 of 16

Quote:
Seems like the upgrade bug is never over!

I know that feeling........................
frown.gif

Jun 16, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #7 of 16
is the edition 8 really that good? maybe I should try to get one from the fs section of head-fi

Quote:
A good set of closed headphones and iems of course. 
biggrin.gif
  My main headphones are LCD-2, Edition 8 & SE530.  Everything else is retired or sold.

Jun 16, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #9 of 16
wow for someone who is only 17 and just joined head-fi you sure have owned/auditioned a bunch load of top of the line headphones.. 

Quote:
I just got them along with the T5p, and I'm quite disappointed considering their price. They simply do not compare to my HD800s, T1s, HE500s, or even D7000s. The T5p has a really weird signature that I don't like, and even less bass than the T1. The Edition 8 sounds to me like it's trying to do neutral (doesn't work so well in closed cans imo) and fun at the same time but not doing either as well as anything in it's price range. It's almost like an analytical D7000 with a lot less bass quantity. If I absolutely had to have an on the go audiophile can, I guess I would have to go with the Ed 8, but pricewise and for home use, I can't recommend them.

Jun 16, 2011 at 1:57 AM Post #10 of 16

Quote:
wow for someone who is only 17 and just joined head-fi you sure have owned/auditioned a bunch load of top of the line headphones.. 

Yea, I went through the upgrade chain at an absurd rate. Lasted 6 months with the D2000 without any need to upgrade, then I bought the AD700 to see what all the fuss was about for gaming, decided to try a few music tracks, experienced what soundstage and airy sound is, and off I went to try nearly every flagship in a month...

Haven't auditioned any, no meets here unfortunately... own em all
wink.gif
Gonna get rid of all but 2-3 (HE-500,T1,D7K probably)

Jun 16, 2011 at 8:11 AM Post #11 of 16

Quote:
A good set of closed headphones and iems of course. 
biggrin.gif
  My main headphones are LCD-2, Edition 8 & SE530.  Everything else is retired or sold.

I am thinking of buying UE8, how is UE8 compare to LCD2 ?

Thanks in advance.

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #12 of 16
So it seems if the LCD-2 is considered a laid back pair of phones and on the warm-ish side of neutral, would a good compliment be a closed set that is bright and forward sounding?

Obviously amplification would play a role in the sound signature as well.

Jun 16, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #13 of 16
LCD-2 owners, do you find your headphones to be the be-all end-all when it comes to listening pleasure? As in that's the only pair you'll need for the foreseeable future. Or is there another pair (or pairs) that you feel compliments the LCD-2? Possibly picking up slack in the areas where it lacks.

Personally I love my LCD-2s but still find myself wondering if I'm missing something or how it stacks up against other headphones. Seems like the upgrade bug is never over!

I've been going through the same process since I got my LCD-2's.
At the moment, I think I've got a reasonably good threesome that works well together but I think it will become a quartet quite soon.
The LCD-2's are superb and I would describe their character with their really 'clean' sound as if I'm listening in the studio control room and I really love the way I can either listen 'in to' the music and follow individual elements if I wish, or just as easily hear the music as a whole and just flow with it.
But sometimes, particularly for live rock, I want feel I'm in the middle of a packed concert venue and then I reach for my Darth Beyer T4's. Maybe one day I'll try some modified Fostex T50RP's, but for now my T4's are the only cans I've heard that give me that feeling of a wall of bass cabs playing live and can maintain that live sound to the kind of volume that gets the hair standing on your arms. I know it's distortion, but that's what you get at live gigs after all. The LCD-2's go incredibly loud, but stay too 'clean'
My third element is the HD800's. These come into their own for late night relaxation with quiet accoustic recordings. The comfort factor means I quickly forget I'm wearing 'phones and the imaging and soundstage helps carry me off into the music. It's what I'm doing now listening to a Mozart piano sonata as I type. Blissful.
The fourth part of my 'set'? - I think I have a space for something like a pair of custom IEM's such as the JH13 for those times when I need complete accoustic isolation to block out the sounds of the family and the tv, or to allow me to take a respectable quality of music with me wherever I am.
I really doubt that any one headphone could fill all of my needs but it's fun to keep trying:)

Jun 16, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #14 of 16
Edition 8 are the best closed headphones in production in my opinion.  They bested my D7000 in every way, and most people who have owned both seem to agree.  That being said, I generally prefer open headphones to closed headphones and like them only slightly more than RS-1 & HD600 and they are not as pleasing as LCD-2 or HE-500.  But I *need* closed headphones so use them quite a bit.  If you don't have such a need, you could do better for their exorbitant price.

Quote:
is the edition 8 really that good? maybe I should try to get one from the fs section of head-fi

Edition 8 have more impactful bass and more defined soundstage but I prefer the smooth mids and treble of the LCD-2.  These general impressions also apply to the Edition 8 vs. HE-500.  I could write a more detailed comparison this weekend if you'd like.  What province are you in?  If you're (far) east, you're welcome to audition them.

Quote:
I am thinking of buying UE8, how is UE8 compare to LCD2 ?

Thanks in advance.

Jun 17, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #15 of 16
I was going to recommend trying the HD800 but I think you should listen to a Stax SR Lambda with SRD6 transformer box or one of the cheap energizers.  Sounds very different from the LCD2.  Much lighter sound, more delicate, much faster, different tonality, less impactful bass, lots of air, large soundstage, extremely detailed, and should only run you $250-550 with amp included.  Really the best deal out there.  It'd give you a great intro into the world of electrostats which you could explore further from there if you chose to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back