Complete noob looking for in-ear suggestions.
Dec 21, 2010 at 12:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

juniorvarsity33

New Head-Fier
Let me first say thanks for looking.

I stumbled upon this site when searching for info on Bose v. Beats headphones and read somebody getting flamed when asking the Bose or Beats question. So, hear me out.

I currently use the Bose in ear headphones and had been looking at the ibeats headphones since I'd like a better sound for the music I typically listen to (hip hop) and since they have the phone control included in the headset without having to by an additional cable (since I have the older Bose models). I went to the Bose headphone (just chasing the "name") after struggling with fit on the Shure in ear headphones that were heavily suggested by Best Buy employee.

I did some reading on some info found in this forum (i.e. Audio-Technica in ear headphones, etc.). I liked the prices I saw, however there was mention of having a tough time with fit.

I thoroughly enjoyed the sound coming from the Bose and Beats ON EAR style headphones, but price and convenience of these make them less desirable to me.

So my direct question is: What models should I look at for a better performing in ear headphone if I'm considering the BOSE or Beats Monster headphones?

Priorities:
1. Price, would like to stay as close to $100 as possible. Anything higher would likely encourage me to buy Monster.
2. Sound. Bose seems to limit the deeper bass sounds. I listen to Hip Hop/ R&B primarily.
3. Fit. The Shures wouldn't stay in my ear, the bose fit great w/out falling out, however hurt my ears during extended wear (airplane, etc). Nobody demos the in ear styles so I haven't been able to demo Beats (only what I hear and read). I need them to fit snug as I take snowboarding as well.
4. Noise-canceling is low on my priority list. I often had one phone out of my ear with Shures in order to be aware of surroundings. Bose phones don't cancel anything, so I don't worry.

If you took the time to read this, thank you again. And, I greatly appreciate any and all suggestions. I will appropriately and thoroughly read up on any and all suggestions. Providing links will help but I'm not afraid to use google to get me where I need.

Jeremy

Dec 21, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #2 of 5
I'm not flaming you for mentioning these brands, however I really suggest you stay away from them. The higher end ones have good quality, but it's still not a good value. As a general rule of thumb: you can almost always get something just as good or better than a Bose at half the price.

Monster Turbines are currently $59 shipped on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Turbine-High-Performance-In-Ear-Speakers/dp/B001LNO722/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292910136&sr=8-1

Dec 21, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #3 of 5
Since u dont need neutrality or isolation, for which i would recommend the RE0 and the Etymotic ER6 respectively(both are less around 70), the monster turbines might be suitable for u. They have a lot of smooth bass and retails at around 100.

Dec 21, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #4 of 5
When reading on all of these suggestions, the only negative i find is durability. I'm not hard on any of my assets, but the Turbines wouldn't be considered "fragile" would they? $60 is a great deal compared to "retail" and if truly better than the Bose I have for 60% the $$$$.

Thanks for all info so far

Dec 21, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
When reading on all of these suggestions, the only negative i find is durability. I'm not hard on any of my assets, but the Turbines wouldn't be considered "fragile" would they? $60 is a great deal compared to "retail" and if truly better than the Bose I have for 60% the $$$$.

Thanks for all info so far

they have issues with durability, but with the three year warranty you should be all right. for $60, I'd say they're a good deal, especially since the HJE900's just disappeared in the US (a similar pair of phones sound sig wise)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back