complete complete noob starting out
Dec 25, 2006 at 6:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

jinp6301

Headphoneus Supremus
I really want to get in and start making DIY amps and interconnects and all that stuff but I have no idea how to start. I need to basically buy everything, ex. soldering iron, boards, etc.

So.... how should I start and what and where should I buy all the materials? Links would be really appreciated.

Dec 25, 2006 at 8:42 AM Post #2 of 23
I bought all of my soldering gear to start out with at Radio Shack. If you have a decent Radioshack (I don't) you can get loads of components too.

I think a good $60-70 to start is fair enough... You should be able to get the following materials at Radioshack

-soldering iron (40-60 watts...don't get a soldering gun, that's too much)
-de/soldering iron or wick
-solder (rosin core)
-flux (optional - probably won't need)
-electrical tape
-boards
-breadboard (to test circuits)
-multimeter

Get some old soundcard or stereo and get the amp from it, get the schematic for it and make yourself a cheap 6W amp out of it. Creative AWE64s for example have an amp that puts out 6wpc.

Dec 25, 2006 at 9:15 AM Post #3 of 23
I would disagree with 450 with the Radioshack recommendation. Save your money and get better quality tools at practically the same prices less the shipping costs.

For tools, try:
http://www.hmcelectronics.com (soldering stations are great to buy here)
http://www.ebay.com (never fails, many choose to buy Fluke multimeters here because of the reduced pricing)

For parts (you might also find items that 450 listed in these websites):
http://www.mouser.com (one of the two major sellers for electronic parts)
http://www.digikey.com (the other major seller of electronic parts)
http://www.newark.com

Also, take a peek at the DIY Links Resource thread for more recommendations and websites.

Dec 25, 2006 at 10:46 AM Post #4 of 23
Definetly get on the big 3 (mouser.com digikey.com newark.com) and order the catalogs. They are free and are indispensible for ordering parts...or just late night reading!

Decide what amps you would like to start building. The CMOY is a good place to start, or if you just want to jump right in try a Pimeta. The Pimeta is a little easier IMHO because you can buy a circuit board for it from tangents website http://tangentsoft.net/audio You can get prety much everything but the pot from mouser or from tangents web store

There are a couple things I would get from Radio Shack, their silver solder and thier desoldering braid.

Dec 25, 2006 at 4:20 PM Post #5 of 23
One thing to watch for if you do run in to RS for a quick purchase; they buy from different suppliers, and even though items may be in the same RS labeled packages, they may not be the same. As an example, I was looking at IRF510 MOSFETs and the ones on hand were from at least three different manufacturers. Some were ST Micro, and others were "no name".

I have purchased many things at RS in a pinch, such as resistors, Xicon caps, but they are much more expensive than using Mouser or Digi-Key. For example, a Xicon electrolytic cap that sells for $1.99 at RS will cost about $0.75 at Mouser. Of course, to make that savings worthwhile, one would want to have an order large enough to offset the shipping cost vs. the price difference. Taking into account the price of gas, it's very cost effective to order from Mouser, save $$$$ over RS, and have it delivered to my door in 3-4 days. My last order from Mouser was for about $100 and was on my doorstep in 4 days for less than $7 shipping.

Dec 25, 2006 at 4:27 PM Post #6 of 23
I'll throw in with picklgreen and recommend the big 3. I order just about everything from them.

Take a look at the soldering irons from Hakko and Weller; I've had great experiences from both. And I'm partial to Fluke DMMs. Once you figure out a budget, then you can decide on the models.

If you're listening to a SR-225, why not look into building a tube amp? I've had my eye on the Kurt Strain OTL over in the HeadWize library. Simple, straightforward and inexpensive. But there are a lot of other ones there, too. Take a look.

Dec 26, 2006 at 6:12 AM Post #7 of 23
thanks for all the recommendations, i'll look into the Kurt Strain OTL.

edit: i found this site (http://tangentsoft.net/audio/new-diyer.html) which helped alot. now i gotta start spending that christmas dough i guess!

Dec 26, 2006 at 10:15 AM Post #8 of 23
I'm sorta in the same position as you atm but already had some basic gear from a while back, i'd say maybe try and get some books on basic electronics they have helped me alot, you should be able to pick some pretty basic ones from RS or you local bookshop or wherever.

Dec 26, 2006 at 2:19 PM Post #9 of 23
Oh yes, a simple OTL will cost far less than a Pimeta certainly and, for at least the two guys listening, the OTL outperformed it too. Interestingly enough, I finished my Pimeta bout a month ago and a buddy of mine just finished his Aren van Waarde OTL design -http://headwize.com/projects/showfile.php?file=waarde1_prj.htm (tube PS instead of SS PS). Last week we did a little taste testing.
Honestly, I'm a tube guy and went against all that I stand for when building the Pimeta :) (big joke - actually, I'll build anything if it makes music)
We only had Senn 580's (300ohm) and AKG 240 Monitors (600ohm) to listen to but I rather spend my time with the OTL . The OTL surpassed the Pimeta in body, tone, soundstage and musical involvement. Micro detail was also better on the OTL. I would give the Pimeta the nod to speed only particularly when listening to drum cimbals where the OTL was sluggish (need more capacitance in PS?). (BTW, the Pimeta is still extremely enjoyable and would never discourage anyone from building it)
The problem that I do not have an answer for is will a low impedance headphone (225 or 701) work with a Strain or van Waarde OTL? Just another question to ask if you go for an OTL.
Of course if you go tube, you will most likely be purchasing from different suppliers like Angela Instruments, Antique Electronic Supply, Handmade Electronics, Michael Percy, Parts Connection, etc.
As far as books are concerned (regarding the last post), Morgan Jones Valve Amplifiers is fantastic.
Enjoy.

Dec 28, 2006 at 6:05 AM Post #10 of 23
thanks for all the replies, but instead of starting with the tube amp, i think im gonna go up the chain from the cmoy to the pimenta then look at making some tube amps

Dec 28, 2006 at 6:25 AM Post #11 of 23
if you must get anything from radioshack, get the lowest wattage (15W) iron they have; most of the others seem to burn themselves out.
In the future, when you get another iron, it come in useful when you need an iron for a weird situation--I used it as a quick and dirty hot knife before, since I didn't want to get my weller tips contaminated with plastic

Dec 28, 2006 at 7:18 AM Post #12 of 23
Wow, hold your horses for a minute there with the Kurt Strain OTL.

This tube amp runs 250 Volts which WILL KILL YOU! Definitely NOT recommended for beginners and I'd say you'd have to be suicidal if you try it as a first project.

Try something like the SOHA, Millet Hybrid or redesigned Cetoole's Millet 2 (not sure what the official name is). They're running like 60V which would hurt like hell, but you'll live to bitch about it.

Dec 28, 2006 at 7:57 AM Post #13 of 23
Cetooles is the Millet Maxed IIRC. That's on hold at the moment due to a car crash.

I thought the millet was 24V or something along those lines and it was the SOHA that was 50-60ish ?

Dec 28, 2006 at 1:42 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by splaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cetooles is the Millet Maxed IIRC. That's on hold at the moment due to a car crash.

I thought the millet was 24V or something along those lines and it was the SOHA that was 50-60ish ?

Correct. Although, most Millett owners run the voltage up to 27V, biasing each tube to 13.5V. Most SOHA's seem to top out at 60-70ish, mostly because the B+ voltage is unregulated. The CCS brings it down to 40V at the tube.

Dec 28, 2006 at 2:46 PM Post #15 of 23
how about you start out with even more basic stuff and build some interconnects. you said you're a complete newb - does that mean you haven't done any soldering at all? if so, building interconnects or even just buying some wire and practicing would be a good place to start. there's plenty of free info on the 'net for various techniques.

above all - have fun with it! i absolutely love this part of our crazy hobby!
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back