complete complete noob starting out
Dec 28, 2006 at 4:33 PM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for all the replies, but instead of starting with the tube amp, i think im gonna go up the chain from the cmoy to the pimenta then look at making some tube amps

That's a great way to go, but it would be a good idea to build a couple of ICs first to get the hang of soldering wires like that.

Dec 28, 2006 at 4:50 PM Post #17 of 23
I'd stay far far far away from Radio Shack soldering irons.

Look to eBay to get a decent soldering station on a budget.

My two favorites, the Hakko 936 and Weller WTCPT show up at great prices all the time. Plan to buy new tips for a used iron.

CSI used to sell a Hakko 936 clone. While it wasn't as good as the real thing, it wasn't bad at all for the money. The936 clone was discussed here a while back.

This one looks to be an update of the Hakko 936 clone that C.S.I. used to sell. I'd guess Hakko forced them to make a few changes.
http://web-tronics.com/cispdeesdsas.html

If you get a soldering station and a few tools from CSI, they will throw in a DVM for free.

A kit like this one http://web-tronics.com/amrakitara.html is another good way to learn to solder.

Tangent has some decent advice and how to videos here

http://tangentsoft.net/elec/movies/

Dec 28, 2006 at 4:57 PM Post #18 of 23
Actually I have been using that crappy radioshack-not retipplable-iron for a year now. Ive built a PPA, M³, Millet Hybrid, Glassman buffers, Diamond buffers, CMOY and CMOY 2 all with that thing. All you have to do is take a file to the tip if you think it is too mucked up. But it shouldnt get that way if you are using proper technique to solder with! That sponge...USE IT!

Dec 28, 2006 at 5:53 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by picklgreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually I have been using that crappy radioshack-not retipplable-iron for a year now.

You can get those projects to work with a $7.99 rat shack iron.

I recommend used WTCPTs with a new tip to absolute noobs because it reduces the chance for failure. A noob is less likely to burn fingers too.

I've seen good used WTCPT stations sell for under $15.00. There is one on eBay now with a current bid that is less then the Radio Shack tool.

In your case, a quality temperature controlled soldering station is absolutely worth it. You've spent $100s on those projects. A better soldering tool will reduce your build time and will most likely improve your build quality too.

Dec 29, 2006 at 6:12 PM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Wow, hold your horses for a minute there with the Kurt Strain OTL.

This tube amp runs 250 Volts which WILL KILL YOU! Definitely NOT recommended for beginners and I'd say you'd have to be suicidal if you try it as a first project.

Maybe this statement is a little over-kill (sorry, I could not resist). Yeah, if you go tube maybe a kit, as opposed to pure DIY, is a better solution but everyone interested has to start somewhere. Obviously one must me extremely careful but the bottom line is what is the risk if one never even sticks their hands in a live circuit (amp off, apply test leads, amp on, etc) or wears high voltage protection gloves before going in. I just hate to hear people scaring others away when with careful smarts, building tube amps is a real satisfying joy.
jinp6301, enjoy the process whatever you build :)

Dec 29, 2006 at 6:44 PM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by macm75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just hate to hear people scaring others away when with careful smarts, building tube amps is a real satisfying joy.

That's totally true, but seriously, when the thread title reads "complete complete noob starting out", I don't think the person would have the level of "careful smarts" required to be 99% safe. Even after reading all the warnings, having a bit of experience with circuits, and having fairly steady hands, I still managed to short the V+ to ground in my SOHA with the DMM and after a quick few steps back, the regulator exploded into pieces, and 2 caps were blown. Good thing that wasn't a finger that slipped
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by splaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Couldn't you still zap yourself on caps when it's off ?

Oh big time, just touch both leads of one of the power supply caps in a tube amp and you'll be seeing things in a whole new light
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back