Complement to the M50s? (HD558 or HD25 or something else?)
Jan 1, 2011 at 10:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Hayang

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I have the M50s right now, and I like them a lot.  However they are broken right now (I'll be fixing them) and I am thinking about buying myself another good pair of $50~$200 headphones to complement the M50s; that is, do somethings differently while being very solid cans overall.  I will not be using an amp.

I have owned the HD555s before so I miss their great open-can soundstage in comparison to the M50s.  However I did not like how their bass did not really support the rest of the sound so I traded them for M50s.  I am considering the HD558s, however, because I heard the HD598s at a meet and they sounded like they had a very robust bass.

I am also considering the HD25-IIs because they seem to be great portable headphones, with great isolation and apparently a fun, punchy sound.  I am not sure whether I should expect it to be very different from the M50s, however.

I am open to other suggestions, however.  All I ask is that they have good build quality, and are somewhat different from the M50s but still very robust cans in their own way.  Open and closed are both fine.

Jan 2, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #3 of 3
Oh. Hi there. I sent you a PM before reading this. I have both the HD25s and HD558, as you might have noticed. The 558 are good open cans, the HD25s are great closed ones, so it's all down to you, really.

Quote:
Alessandro MS-1i. Nice contrast to the M50. Fun, energetic, in your face goodness.

HD25s are all that, plus a bag of noise-isolating goodness, but cost quite a bit more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back