Compiling a list of smartphones with native DSD support
Jul 28, 2021 at 9:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Fandangos

New Head-Fier
Hello,

This is my first post here and thanks for having me.

I'm compiling a list of smartphones that have native DSD support and I would like the help of you.

LG:
  • V10
  • V20
  • V30 and G6 - up to android 9.
  • V40 and G7 - up to android 9.
  • V35 up to android 10

VIVO
  • xplay6
  • NEX S

Meizu
  • MX4 Pro
  • 5 pro

Samsung
  • Galaxy Note 8 (?)
  • Galaxy S8 (?)

This is all I have so far, this is not from personal testing but collected from comments I've found in this forum and others.

I'll update this thread if people help providing information.
If a database like this already exists, please, post below.

Jul 28, 2021 at 7:40 PM Post #2 of 8
So you think DSD sounds better from a phone?

Jul 28, 2021 at 8:30 PM Post #4 of 8
Sorry didn’t mean to put it that way. DSD or SACD are very high resolution files. While yes your phone might handle the file there is the data which is more likely handled from a computer. Sure they say that they can do DSD but there are many flavors of DSD.

Jul 28, 2021 at 9:16 PM Post #5 of 8
Yes I do understand that, that's why I'm looking for a phone with native DSD support, meaning, having a hardware dedicated to it.

As I do understand the idea that while small or not powerful as a computer, a dedicate IC can do much more than code that needs to be handled as software.
Compare HEVC 4K decoding in software that requires massive CPU usage and an integrated circuit capable of doing the same. Just a very small IC in most phones today.

I actually own the LG G7 and DSD sound amazing using on my stereo 70's amp.

I'm honestly looking for:

A) compile a list since none exist online
B) find myself a cheap DSD decoder to be fixed with the said amp.

For modern listening of SACD I have jailbroken OPPO 203 that can play SACD ISO and my Denon receiver is capable of DSD decoding over HDMI and DLNA.

So a small device that can access my NAS and have hardware native DSD support would be a welcome addition.

Aug 23, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #6 of 8
Yes I do understand that, that's why I'm looking for a phone with native DSD support, meaning, having a hardware dedicated to it.

As I do understand the idea that while small or not powerful as a computer, a dedicate IC can do much more than code that needs to be handled as software.
Compare HEVC 4K decoding in software that requires massive CPU usage and an integrated circuit capable of doing the same. Just a very small IC in most phones today.

I actually own the LG G7 and DSD sound amazing using on my stereo 70's amp.

I'm honestly looking for:

A) compile a list since none exist online
B) find myself a cheap DSD decoder to be fixed with the said amp.

For modern listening of SACD I have jailbroken OPPO 203 that can play SACD ISO and my Denon receiver is capable of DSD decoding over HDMI and DLNA.

So a small device that can access my NAS and have hardware native DSD support would be a welcome addition.
V10 and V20 do not support it as far as I have read from various posts, even though the dac is capable enough. Could rooting an old phone which does not support native dsd but has a dac that supports it, make it capable enough to play native dsd?

Among the new devices, the best bet would be on the following:

rog 5 (probably having the best dac ever in a smartphone)
vivo x60 pro plus
iqoo 7
sony xperia 1 iii

But whether any of the above actually supports native dsd remains an open question. Let us know if you happen to find anything on any of the above devices.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2022 at 2:37 PM Post #8 of 8
a list of smartphones that have native DSD support
Do they really have the hardware (DAC) which can convert DSD to analog as Native (i.e. without converting to PCM)? I listen to DSD in my Samsung Note 8 using USB AUDIO PLAYER PRO (which overcomes the Android signal processing, i.e. the signal comes to the DAC in its original rate, without downsampling to 16/48). I can tell you for sure that it's not Native DSD - the sound has the typical harshness and coldness of PCM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back