Competitve FPS gaming headphone help!
May 3, 2012 at 4:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

relaxedfire

New Head-Fier
Hey guys. 

I play many FPS games, currently BF3 (I know the game's not very great for positional audio but I'm going to soon be moving to CSS), and I need a good pair of headphones to use for FPS games. I currently own a pair of crappy Razer Megaladons that my brother gave me, and it does help me distinguish where enemies are at, but I've heard that a good pair of stereo headphones are even better at simulating a surround sound feeling.

So I need some help here: 

1. I need help on deciding on a sound card, as I do not currently have one.

2. I need suggestions and reccomendations for a good pair of headphones for gaming. 

Also, is there anything I'd need to do in order to simulate surround sound on a pair of stereo headphones, or do I just want to make sure the sound card is dolby surround supported and it will automatically work? 

Thanks guys, as you can tell I'm a noob and need help :)

May 3, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #2 of 54
Hello relaxedfire. BF3 isn't particularly good in terms of audio accuracy, but that can be offset through the use of a soundcard with surround virtualization techs. In terms of soundcards, you should consider the Creative X-Fi Titanium HD, which is currently the best gaming soundcard available, the Auzentech X-Fi Forte, and to a lesser extent the Asus Xonar Essence STX.
Since you haven't stated your budget, I listed the best cards available for gaming.

If you want competitive gaming and nothing else, as in singleplayer/immersive gaming, the Audio Technica AD700/AD900 would be a good option, and a more balanced yet competitive option are the Beyerdynamic DT990. There is also a highly recommended (as in praised to be the best gaming headset available) headset, the Sennheiser PC360, which doesn't sacrifice sound quality at all when compared to average PC and console headsets, that are severely overpriced for the very low sound and build quality they have.

May 3, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #3 of 54
Quote:
Hello relaxedfire. BF3 isn't particularly good in terms of audio accuracy, but that can be offset through the use of a soundcard with surround virtualization techs. In terms of soundcards, you should consider the Creative X-Fi Titanium HD, which is currently the best gaming soundcard available, the Auzentech X-Fi Forte, and to a lesser extent the Asus Xonar Essence STX.
Since you haven't stated your budget, I listed the best cards available for gaming.

If you want competitive gaming and nothing else, as in singleplayer/immersive gaming, the Audio Technica AD700/AD900 would be a good option, and a more balanced yet competitive option are the Beyerdynamic DT990. There is also a highly recommended (as in praised to be the best gaming headset available) headset, the Sennheiser PC360, which doesn't sacrifice sound quality at all when compared to average PC and console headsets, that are severely overpriced for the very low sound and build quality they have.

Ok, so, the best overall gaming headphones would be the Senn. PC360? Better than the AD700's when it comes to gaming? I like the convenience of having the mic on it.

It would seem pretty expensive to get the Creative X-FI titanium HD plus the PC360, but would it really be worth it? 

May 3, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #4 of 54
Quote:
Ok, so, the best overall gaming headphones would be the Senn. PC360? Better than the AD700's when it comes to gaming? I like the convenience of having the mic on it.

It would seem pretty expensive to get the Creative X-FI titanium HD plus the PC360, but would it really be worth it? 

They might be somewhat on par in terms of competitive gaming, but the PC360 does have a richer presentation, as in a fuller sound, but the price difference might not be worth it if you're just using the headphones for competitive gaming (the competitive part is important). And about having a mic, you can always add a clip on mic to any headphones, which is something a lot of people do, adding a mic to their high quality headphones rather than using lower quality headsets (the PC360 being an expensive alternative).

The Creative X-Fi Titanium HD is unmatched for gaming, no other card can produce its results, especially in terms of positional cue accuracy. Is it worth it? Most definitely, as there are little alternatives that are still worth it, like the Auzentech X-Fi Forte.

So, if you just want headphones for competitive gaming, you might want to get the Creative X-Fi Titanium HD, the Audio Technica AD700 and a Zalman clip on mic.

May 3, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #5 of 54
Quote:

They might be somewhat on par in terms of competitive gaming, but the PC360 does have a richer presentation, as in a fuller sound, but the price difference might not be worth it if you're just using the headphones for competitive gaming (the competitive part is important). And about having a mic, you can always add a clip on mic to any headphones, which is something a lot of people do, adding a mic to their high quality headphones rather than using lower quality headsets (the PC360 being an expensive alternative).

The Creative X-Fi Titanium HD is unmatched for gaming, no other card can produce its results, especially in terms of positional cue accuracy. Is it worth it? Most definitely, as there are little alternatives that are still worth it, like the Auzentech X-Fi Forte.

So, if you just want headphones for competitive gaming, you might want to get the Creative X-Fi Titanium HD, the Audio Technica AD700 and a Zalman clip on mic.

Appreciate the help so much! 

That combo seems pretty good, and in my budget. I just read reviews on the AD700's and people said that the mid tones and treble was actually annoying them after using it for a period of time compared the PC360 which sounded overall better. But as far as competitive goes, I think I'll just go with the 700's because that's what I need.

May 3, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #7 of 54
May 3, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #9 of 54
Quote:
Astro's are damn expensive, and from the reviews I've read on it, it seems overpriced, opinions?

Like I said before, those console and PC headsets are garbage. The true exception to that is the PC360 headset.

And more importantly, run away from that bottom of the barrel electronics that is the Mixamp, it's borderline worthless for a computer, since it is a niche product, namely for consoles alone.

May 3, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #11 of 54
Quote:
I don't need a mixamp if I get this Creative X-Fi Titanium HD sound card right?

You don't need nor want it. Computers can use all sorts of high quality audio devices, something the Mixamp isn't even remotely close to.

The Creative X-Fi Titanium HD is all you need for the setups I mentioned above. If you decide to upgrade headphones further down the line, as in hard to drive headphones, you will want to add a headphone amplifier to the sound chain to properly drive the headphones, but that isn't a concern for now.

May 3, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #12 of 54
Quote:

You don't need nor want it. Computers can use all sorts of high quality audio devices, something the Mixamp isn't even remotely close to.

The Creative X-Fi Titanium HD is all you need for the setups I mentioned above. If you decide to upgrade headphones further down the line, as in hard to drive headphones, you will want to add a headphone amplifier to the sound chain to properly drive the headphones, but that isn't a concern for now.

Great, I appreciate it.

I'll look into both of these a little bit more, but I have a feeling I'll go with the 700's just because they seem to be a great deal. 

Appreciate your help, Roller!

May 3, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #13 of 54
Quote:
Great, I appreciate it.

I'll look into both of these a little bit more, but I have a feeling I'll go with the 700's just because they seem to be a great deal. 

Appreciate your help, Roller!

Glad to help, and good luck in your research :)

May 3, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #14 of 54
Quote:
I don't need a mixamp if I get this Creative X-Fi Titanium HD sound card right?

The mixamp creates surround sound, you need to connect it to the soundcard through optical (toslink)

The poster above me probably doesnt know what a mixamp is .. its main purpose is not being just an amp

May 3, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #15 of 54
I found the hd598 awesome for competitive gaming. Incredible soundstage and not too bassy. Just about perfect. Didn't like it that much for music though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back