Competitive Gaming! Need help on choosing competitive gaming audiophile quality headphones.
Jun 12, 2012 at 10:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

NinjaSushi2

100+ Head-Fier
Currently my squad on Ghost Recon Future Soldier is ranked 3 so we are talking about going competitive; this in mind what setup, no matter the price, would you recommend for competitive gaming? Would anyone recommend?

I did think of getting a MixAmp Pro just because it can do 5.1 but are there any amps that can imitate 5.1 or 7.1?

I was also leaning towards an O2 Amp and K702/701 cans because I hear they are amazing for what I need.

Mostly I need something with great positioning and lots of mid and treb. Bass not so much because it will drown out minute sounds like foot steps and suppressed weapons, voices, etc.

Jun 12, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #2 of 15
Keep in mind, if you're playing comp, you'll probably need to be playing on LAN at some point.  Which means closed phones.

Though I have played comp in the past, I can't speak to a valid comparison of whats on the market these days for gaming headphones.  I recommend checking out Mad Lust Envy's thread.  Personally I'm partial to my T1's for quake.

Jun 12, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:
Keep in mind, if you're playing comp, you'll probably need to be playing on LAN at some point.  Which means closed phones.

Though I have played comp in the past, I can't speak to a valid comparison of whats on the market these days for gaming headphones.  I recommend checking out Mad Lust Envy's thread.  Personally I'm partial to my T1's for quake.

I've checked the thread and he/she recommend K701 and a mix amp pro

Jun 12, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #4 of 15
You don't need a great headphone to success on competitive scene, most famous players use non-audiophile equipment and still achieve stunning results. 
AKGs will be fine if you listening on low to moderate volume. But if on high volume... Ouch.

Jun 12, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #7 of 15
most famous players use non-audiophile equipment and still achieve stunning results. 
Because they are being sponsored by those companies :D It does go to show you don't need top of the line gear to get top of the leaderboard.
this in mind what setup, no matter the price, would you recommend for competitive gaming?

TiHD -> O2 -> HD800s = soundwhoring heaven

Jun 12, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:
Because they are being sponsored by those companies
biggrin.gif
It does go to show you don't need top of the line gear to get top of the leaderboard.
TiHD -> O2 -> HD800s = soundwhoring heaven

lol well you got me there 1500 is a wee bit too much lol

Jun 12, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:
Currently my squad on Ghost Recon Future Soldier is ranked 3 so we are talking about going competitive; this in mind what setup, no matter the price, would you recommend for competitive gaming? Would anyone recommend?
I did think of getting a MixAmp Pro just because it can do 5.1 but are there any amps that can imitate 5.1 or 7.1?
I was also leaning towards an O2 Amp and K702/701 cans because I hear they are amazing for what I need.
Mostly I need something with great positioning and lots of mid and treb. Bass not so much because it will drown out minute sounds like foot steps and suppressed weapons, voices, etc.

I'm assuming this is for Windows PC gaming, not xBox?
Titanium HD with a AKG 700 series headphone.

Jun 12, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

xbox, ps3, and pc

The Mix-amp is about the only audio device that can work with the xBox, PS3 and Windows PC.
(connected to the optical input on the Mix-amp. is best).
The Mix-amp. can decently drive headphones, but you can always add-on external headphone amplifier (Objective 2, $155) to the Mix-amp's headphone output.
Some have good luck using the Fiio E9 amplifier ($115).
On eBay they sell solid state headphone amplifiers starting at $65.

Jun 12, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:
The Mix-amp is about the only audio device that can work with the xBox, PS3 and Windows PC.
(connected to the optical input on the Mix-amp. is best).
The Mix-amp. can decently drive headphones, but you can always add-on external headphone amplifier (Objective 2, $155) to the Mix-amp's headphone output.
Some have good luck using the Fiio E9 amplifier ($115).
On eBay they sell solid state headphone amplifiers starting at $65.

They make SSD headphone amp? Learned something new! :D I wont be playing on LAN or anything though, not yet at least.

So yeah the K702, Astro Amp and an O2.

Edit: Oh and there is an item called XJacker that allows you to plug into an xbox or ps3, though I don't know how good it is personally.

Jun 13, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:
If competing at LANs get something closed.

AD700 is great but it struggles to differentiate front and back.  The dolby headphone might be working wonky with its angled drivers but I'm not sure.

In my experiences, LANs are too loud to use the AD700s, really, though. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back