Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Nov 8, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #841 of 4,373
Its an endless topic and sort of as comparing art or architecture with each other.

some people prefer a Waterhouse others Kandinsky or Klee. Some just appreciate any goodlooking design.
And then there just are those who like the odd desingns. Some odd designs are tollerated by the great sound they bring forth and if they just would have been a failure soundwise many people would hate everything about them.

Nov 8, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #842 of 4,373
Well, there are plenty of people who make a living critiquing and comparing such things, so who's to say there's no merit in it? Good analogy though.
Headphones are still a fashion accessory in a sense; you wear them on your head for all to see just like you wear glasses/sunglasses (which also have an important function). There are models/shapes your head better than others. There are models that 90% of people find attractive and models that 90% of people find ugly, and those where opinion might be 50/50.

Kandinsky & Klee were/are both amazing btw 

Nov 8, 2013 at 6:15 AM Post #843 of 4,373
Aestetics discussion is TOTALLY subjective. I found M500s to be the best looking headphones EVER on people's heads :) The worst thing is that NAD HP50 are available in Russia and KEFs are not :frowning2:(

Nov 8, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #844 of 4,373
Speaking of funny looking headhpones and the new NAD HP50; as somebody pointed out there seems to be a lack of photos going around yet of pictures of people wearing them.  However, there is a short French language video on Youtube in which the reviewer does put them on. 

It became apparent to me after watching that video that the designer(s) had apparently been watching too many 1960's Science Fiction movies and went for that same far-out futuristic look with the HP50 headband design.  I am still on the fence about whether I would want to wear them at work, which is a shame because the price is right (compared to the P7 and Shure 1540 for example). Much prefer the utilitarian, non-glossy look of the Fostex T50RP for example. 

Nov 8, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #846 of 4,373
Wow yeah, that HP50 headband is something else.

Nov 8, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #847 of 4,373
  Well, there are plenty of people who make a living critiquing and comparing such things, so who's to say there's no merit in it? Good analogy though.
Headphones are still a fashion accessory in a sense; you wear them on your head for all to see just like you wear glasses/sunglasses (which also have an important function). There are models/shapes your head better than others. There are models that 90% of people find attractive and models that 90% of people find ugly, and those where opinion might be 50/50.

Kandinsky & Klee were/are both amazing btw 

Yup agreed that the m500 looks the bad. What about the momentum?
Does it have a more retro design and a lot of ppl will be buying this due to the wonderful review? 

Nov 8, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #848 of 4,373
I've been following this thread since last summer.  Decided to buy the KEF M500 based on most of the positive feedback.  I thought the M500s were going to be the "be all, end all" in my search for a portable headphone to use with a MacBook Pro.  It would have ended there until I found out about the B&W P7.  Last weekend I caved and bought a pair hoping the M500 would best them.  As of right now I can't decide which sound signature I prefer.  When I first listened to the P7s I thought I had set the equalizer in iTunes to Treble Booster.  Having previously owned the P5, I was not expecting the P7 to sound so bright.  I was also expecting the P7 to have more bass than the M500 but I think the M500 has more bass when I listened to "Thunderstorms" by Dr. Jeffrey Thompson.  The P7 seems to upscale better than the M500 when plugged into my HeadRoom Desktop Amp.  The biggest difference I noticed between the M500 and the P7 is the midrange.  The M500 midrange is more forward, making drums have more impact.  What's strange about the M500 is sometimes I think they have a little too much bass.  Then there are other times the upper midrange/lower treble sounds slightly harsh like when I was listening to the album "Insect Concertos" by Lang Elliott, Wil Hershberger, And Ted Mack.  I think the M500 is more portable because the carrying case offers more protection.  In terms of aesthetics, I prefer the P7s.  It's also worth mentioning the P7s and M500s are very comfortable.  I have a little over a week to return the P7s to the Apple Store.  The more I listen to the P7s the more I like them so I will probably keep them (and the M500s too).  They are both great headphones.  

Nov 8, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #849 of 4,373
Great impressions wallaby! Saves me from feeling like I'm missing a lot by not having the P7's 
smile.gif

Nov 8, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #850 of 4,373
Sometimes about being comfortable with what you have and enjoying the music, but its tough :)
I'm very happy with my th600 and have no interest in th900 especially given comparisons. I feel I have one of the best value home cans there are. For portable use I think I'm going to be happy with the fun sound of the M100's I've just ordered and I still enjoy my Dt1350s. Still not sure why M100s haven't got a look in in this thread :p
I will continue to monitor impressions of of the new Beyer t51p too as they sound very promising

Nov 8, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #851 of 4,373
http://www.hardwaremag.com/2013/creative-unveils-latest-lineup-aurvana-headsets/#more-4241

anyone tried these yet? 

Nov 8, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #852 of 4,373
  I will continue to monitor impressions of of the new Beyer t51p too as they sound very promising

Yes, the T51p's are very intriguing.

Nov 8, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #853 of 4,373
  I've been following this thread since last summer.  Decided to buy the KEF M500 based on most of the positive feedback.  I thought the M500s were going to be the "be all, end all" in my search for a portable headphone to use with a MacBook Pro.  It would have ended there until I found out about the B&W P7.  Last weekend I caved and bought a pair hoping the M500 would best them.  As of right now I can't decide which sound signature I prefer.  When I first listened to the P7s I thought I had set the equalizer in iTunes to Treble Booster.  Having previously owned the P5, I was not expecting the P7 to sound so bright.  I was also expecting the P7 to have more bass than the M500 but I think the M500 has more bass when I listened to "Thunderstorms" by Dr. Jeffrey Thompson.  The P7 seems to upscale better than the M500 when plugged into my HeadRoom Desktop Amp.  The biggest difference I noticed between the M500 and the P7 is the midrange.  The M500 midrange is more forward, making drums have more impact.  What's strange about the M500 is sometimes I think they have a little too much bass.  Then there are other times the upper midrange/lower treble sounds slightly harsh like when I was listening to the album "Insect Concertos" by Lang Elliott, Wil Hershberger, And Ted Mack.  I think the M500 is more portable because the carrying case offers more protection.  In terms of aesthetics, I prefer the P7s.  It's also worth mentioning the P7s and M500s are very comfortable.  I have a little over a week to return the P7s to the Apple Store.  The more I listen to the P7s the more I like them so I will probably keep them (and the M500s too).  They are both great headphones.  

Great impressions! Between the M500 and P7s (my two favourites here) its a tough call. But the slightly better balanced sound, imaging and noise isolation of the P7s have them pulling out in front for me.

Nov 9, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #855 of 4,373
I just wish MacedonianHero could get to hear the forthcoming Philips L2 and let us know his opinion. Apparantly this has been rate by the few who heard them as higher than both P7 and M500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back