Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Sep 21, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #421 of 4,373

Don't waste your time on the P5s. Not in the same hockey rink as the cans you reviewed :)  

Of course if one likes really mellow then by all means!

Nope...They are eye candy, not ear candy....

They are very laid back no doubt about it. I can see why some like them. They do look really good.

MH, since you are buying everything under the sun, you should also get your hands on the Onkyo HF300s and the Bang and Olufsen H6s!!!!!!

I was going for the B&O headphones but the deal was for the black headphones... I like how the natural version look better! :)

LoL, I was planning on borrowing some moving forward. 

Sep 22, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #422 of 4,373
Great review!
Shame you never got on with the DT1350s, i originally didn't like them because of their fit, but after a major headband stretch they are now my favourite portables. So i therefore disagree with you 
tongue.gif

It's funny cause i take them out over my Momentum's the majority of the time. I also hear allot of praise for the Bose too, so much so i would like to try a pair. 

Sep 22, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #423 of 4,373
Was at the National Audio Show UK earlier today (been up 13.5 hours!)

The On Ear Momentums were preferable than the original Momentums. Better bass, less sucked out vocals, less tsss treble. On Ear Momentum ear pad material better and less sweat inducing. Comfort it is better than original Momentum mainly because you know what you are getting. Whereas original Momentum cups are either too big or too small for most. Wish had M500 for a triple-comparison

Sep 22, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #424 of 4,373

Thanks! I tried to like the DT1350s. I really liked their sound, but a few things hurt them for me:

1.) They hurt....really...a lot after about 20 minutes. I wear glasses and the 3 point bend they put on my ears was unbearable. And positioning was very limited. Being "on ears", to get them to sound right only offers a very limited amount of adjusting that can be done for them to sound right.

2.) I subsequently heard 3 other pairs after I sold mine and honestly, they all sounded quite different from each other. So it's hard for me to recommend them for this reason. But if you do get a good pair and you don't wear glasses, they are pretty spectacular headphones. 

Sep 22, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #425 of 4,373
  Was at the National Audio Show UK earlier today (been up 13.5 hours!)

The On Ear Momentums were preferable than the original Momentums. Better bass, less sucked out vocals, less tsss treble. On Ear Momentum ear pad material better and less sweat inducing. Comfort it is better than original Momentum mainly because you know what you are getting. Whereas original Momentum cups are either too big or too small for most. Wish had M500 for a triple-comparison

I don't know about that. I find the bass on the standard Momentums plenty and any more like the on-ear version is too much for me. 

Sep 22, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #426 of 4,373
Trade impressions so huge pinch of salt.

For what it is worth, when I had the M500 and Mo's at home for demo I thought the Mo bass was too much in comparison. We share a lot of thinking on the signature, though it is preferences after that. Yet was really liking Mini Mo today. Definitely warrants an extended listen but am going to stick my neck out by querying whether Sennheiser have created a problem for themselves here.

Sep 22, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #427 of 4,373

For what it is worth, when I had the M500 and Mo's at home for demo I thought the Mo bass was too much in comparison. We share a lot of thinking on the signature, though it is preferences after that. Yet was really liking Mini Mo today. Definitely warrants an extended listen but am going to stick my neck out by querying whether Sennheiser have created a problem for themselves here.

Agreed...that's were measurements come in and help us:

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=3951&graphID[]=4193&scale=30

I liked them too, but too bassy for my liking. The best on-ear headphones I've heard are the M500s. YMMV of course like in everything here.

Sep 22, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #428 of 4,373

You thought the Momentum had too much bass but you were OK with the On-Ear's bass?
confused_face(1).gif

Sep 22, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #429 of 4,373

The On Ear Momentums were preferable than the original Momentums. Better bass, less sucked out vocals, less tsss treble.

You might not have the right seal for the original momentum.

Compared to the original momentum, the on-ear has got over-powering bass, severely recessed mids, and piercing treble.

Sep 22, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #430 of 4,373

Thanks! I tried to like the DT1350s. I really liked their sound, but a few things hurt them for me:

1.) They hurt....really...a lot after about 20 minutes. I wear glasses and the 3 point bend they put on my ears was unbearable. And positioning was very limited. Being "on ears", to get them to sound right only offers a very limited amount of adjusting that can be done for them to sound right.

2.) I subsequently heard 3 other pairs after I sold mine and honestly, they all sounded quite different from each other. So it's hard for me to recommend them for this reason. But if you do get a good pair and you don't wear glasses, they are pretty spectacular headphones. 

I felt the pain too! The clamping force is insane, that's for sure. I don't wear glasses so i can't imagen how irritable the DTs would be. I do agree the positioning does make a significant difference, but i've got the fit perfect for myself now and they've in now too. I never noticed any difference except for the bass after burn in. I am skeptical of the whole burn in thing, but i found an improvement one way or another after long use with them. 

I will definitely try and listen to some other pairs if i get the chance. 

Thanks.

Sep 26, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #431 of 4,373
just a quick word, after much deliberation, and thanks in part to this thread, I pulled the trigger on the M500 a couple of weeks ago.  I had a problem with the cord jack in the headphones...  had to insert, then push really hard to get full sound in both ear pieces.  I listened for a few days to decide if they were worth an exchange over a return and decided to get a fresh pair!  The second ones arrived in a couple of days (Thanks Amazon), and have no issues with the jack.  The fit, however is a little different than the first pair I received.  Pair 1 was super plush/soft and felt light on the head, pair 2 was equally plush feeling [very nice, and super soft leather/pleather ear pads on both] but felt slightly heavier on my head and had a bit more clamping pressure.  No issues with fit on pair 1, except maybe a bit too loose.  Pair 2 gave me a little discomfort after a long session (wearing glasses)., not enough of a difference to swap them for a third pair (yet) but I thought I should give you guys a heads up.  There seems to be a little variance with the quality control of the current run, I think they might have pushed it to meet demand...  

Sound-wise they are consistent, and VERY capable.  They seem neutral, and natural.  Nothing jumping out and true to the recording.  (Listening straight out of a iPod 5.5g, Nano 6g, and iPad)

Sound isolation is not as bad as I was led to believe from earlier comments in this thread. No leakage.

I think they are going to be keepers!  

Thanks MH and friends, (for their intended use) the M500 are working out great!
Cheers
FM

Sep 26, 2013 at 2:47 AM Post #432 of 4,373
I just ordered a Sennheiser Momentum and Kef M500. Will do an A/B comparison with them in the coming week as I'm interested in keeping only one :) Will see which one I like the most and in the process also post a comparison review on both of them here.

Sep 26, 2013 at 5:56 AM Post #433 of 4,373
  I just ordered a Sennheiser Momentum and Kef M500. Will do an A/B comparison with them in the coming week as I'm interested in keeping only one :) Will see which one I like the most and in the process also post a comparison review on both of them here.

Looking forward to it! Personally I think the KEF is in a higher league, really no comparison sonically - and I really like the Momentum!

Sep 26, 2013 at 6:46 AM Post #434 of 4,373
Oh dear... Focal Spirit Classic has just been announced. Hooray for more confusion! Looks good though.

Sep 26, 2013 at 7:02 AM Post #435 of 4,373

Looking forward to it! Personally I think the KEF is in a higher league, really no comparison sonically - and I really like the Momentum!

We'll see. For me personally, sound isolation is an important requirement as well as I travel on airplanes regularly and would like to be able to keep out airplane noise as much as possible (I don't want an active noise cancelling headphone, I just want one closed over/on-ear headphone for extended listening. IEMs get uncomfortable after a while). And so far most people seem to agree that the Momentum isolates a bit better than the M500. But yeah, I'll see for myself in testing :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back