Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Feb 11, 2022 at 3:39 AM Post #4,366 of 4,373
No, reaching low means exactly that: it is capable of producing very low frequencies. It is not emphasizing bass and it certainly is not boomy — the DT1350 is a professional monitoring headphone, not a consumer model that tries to impress with lots of bass.
Oh ok thank you now I understand, do you know similar headphones that I can use without an amp, neutral like the dt1350

Feb 11, 2022 at 5:40 AM Post #4,367 of 4,373
Oh ok thank you now I understand, do you know similar headphones that I can use without an amp, neutral like the dt1350
I always used my DT1350 straight out of an iPhone (when those still had headphone outputs… nowadays the lightning audio dongle should work just fine). While it has a bit high nominal impedance, it also offers high sensitivity, i.e. it doesn’t need much power to go rather loud.

Unfortunately I can’t really recommend much in the space of on-ear headphones since I mostly avoid that form due to comfort issues. A well received on-ear with similar properties as the DT1350 but less extended bass is the Sennheiser HD-25, an old DJ favorite due to its robust build and easy repairability.
The V-Moda XS might also be worth checking out, though it might have some bass emphasis — did not try that one myself.
The Austrian Audio Hi-X50 seems to be a rather neutral studio-oriented on-ear, and while I like their Hi-X60 over-ear, I never tried the X50…

Feb 11, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #4,368 of 4,373
I always used my DT1350 straight out of an iPhone (when those still had headphone outputs… nowadays the lightning audio dongle should work just fine). While it has a bit high nominal impedance, it also offers high sensitivity, i.e. it doesn’t need much power to go rather loud.

Unfortunately I can’t really recommend much in the space of on-ear headphones since I mostly avoid that form due to comfort issues. A well received on-ear with similar properties as the DT1350 but less extended bass is the Sennheiser HD-25, an old DJ favorite due to its robust build and easy repairability.
The V-Moda XS might also be worth checking out, though it might have some bass emphasis — did not try that one myself.
The Austrian Audio Hi-X50 seems to be a rather neutral studio-oriented on-ear, and while I like their Hi-X60 over-ear, I never tried the X50…
Thank you I will consider those, one last question how's the sennheiser HD 25 bass? Is it neutral?

Feb 11, 2022 at 7:22 PM Post #4,369 of 4,373
Thank you I will consider those, one last question how's the sennheiser HD 25 bass? Is it neutral?
It depends on your definition of neutral. “Neutral bass” in a home HiFi system, movie theater, outdoor rock concert, music studio, or in a recording booth will all sound quite different. Add to that, the shape of your own ears emphasize and de-emphasize bass, mids, and highs differently from literally everyone else on the planet, some people have VERY unique ears.

The Sennheiser HD 25 is a pro headphone made for use in recording booths, DJ’s performing live, and it even has a history as sound blocking headphones used by passengers in airplanes. The midbass is moderately elevated if you look at a graph, but most people find it a pleasant and not aggressive headphone, and not loose or boomy (though it’s not the sharpest headphone either). You may find that it clamps firmly on your head: this helps with the sound isolation and to prevent the headphone from slipping around while you’re walking (or performing), but it might be too tight to comfortably wear for 5 hours straight for some people. It’s also extremely tough, durable, and easy to repair. It’s a popular, well-loved headphone, historically one of Sennheiser’s most popular.

I personally am surprised how much I like the very serious looking Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, that is fairly “natural” sounding and easy to drive with my iPad’s built in headphone jack, but that is a full-sized headphone that has its pads resting around your ears rather than pressing down on them (which is why I prefer full-size, over ear headphones).

The DT1350 is more for mainstream consumers than working pros, with fancy looking metal parts, and a more “musical” tuning than “reference/analytical.” A bit more bass than the HD 25, as @plakat mentioned, but it’s of a nice quality and not heavy-handed. As was mentioned before, the sensitivity rating is much more useful for determining if a headphone doesn’t need a powerful amp and if a smartphone dongle will be enough; a little bit of impedance can actually be a good thing, and help lower distortion in some kinds of amplifiers/amps.

When an audio enthusiast says a headphone has extended bass or reaching low, that doesn’t mean it has extra bass emphasis. A headphone without bass extension actually has the bass get “quieter than neutral” as you play lower and lower frequency notes, some you can’t even hear the lowest notes because they’ve been rolled off and are too quiet.

A lot of people focus too much on bass reproduction. They often think that the way bass is presented: louder, more detailed, a sharper and harder attack at the beginning of a note, shorter decay, etc are the main hallmarks of whether a headphone or speaker is good or not, usually because cheap headphones (like “free” or cheap earbuds) can’t produce extended bass and using any EQ to raise the higher frequency mid-bass causes a lot of distortion and loose boomy sound with a lot of resonance. While it’s true that having Goldilocks bass that is not too hot and not too cold is a good thing, and entry level Hi-Fi headphones and up (mid-fi and summit-fi) are usually much better at reaching low bass notes without distortion problems, it’s also very important to consider the midrange. Mid frequencies are where you hear all vocals, and most instruments, so this is a critical range to get right in order for the music to sound “natural” and realistic. Bass and Treble are like the “special effects” that add excitement to music, but mids are where the music is.

Feb 11, 2022 at 8:46 PM Post #4,370 of 4,373
It depends on your definition of neutral. “Neutral bass” in a home HiFi system, movie theater, outdoor rock concert, music studio, or in a recording booth will all sound quite different. Add to that, the shape of your own ears emphasize and de-emphasize bass, mids, and highs differently from literally everyone else on the planet, some people have VERY unique ears.

The Sennheiser HD 25 is a pro headphone made for use in recording booths, DJ’s performing live, and it even has a history as sound blocking headphones used by passengers in airplanes. The midbass is moderately elevated if you look at a graph, but most people find it a pleasant and not aggressive headphone, and not loose or boomy (though it’s not the sharpest headphone either). You may find that it clamps firmly on your head: this helps with the sound isolation and to prevent the headphone from slipping around while you’re walking (or performing), but it might be too tight to comfortably wear for 5 hours straight for some people. It’s also extremely tough, durable, and easy to repair. It’s a popular, well-loved headphone, historically one of Sennheiser’s most popular.

I personally am surprised how much I like the very serious looking Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, that is fairly “natural” sounding and easy to drive with my iPad’s built in headphone jack, but that is a full-sized headphone that has its pads resting around your ears rather than pressing down on them (which is why I prefer full-size, over ear headphones).

The DT1350 is more for mainstream consumers than working pros, with fancy looking metal parts, and a more “musical” tuning than “reference/analytical.” A bit more bass than the HD 25, as @plakat mentioned, but it’s of a nice quality and not heavy-handed. As was mentioned before, the sensitivity rating is much more useful for determining if a headphone doesn’t need a powerful amp and if a smartphone dongle will be enough; a little bit of impedance can actually be a good thing, and help lower distortion in some kinds of amplifiers/amps.

When an audio enthusiast says a headphone has extended bass or reaching low, that doesn’t mean it has extra bass emphasis. A headphone without bass extension actually has the bass get “quieter than neutral” as you play lower and lower frequency notes, some you can’t even hear the lowest notes because they’ve been rolled off and are too quiet.

A lot of people focus too much on bass reproduction. They often think that the way bass is presented: louder, more detailed, a sharper and harder attack at the beginning of a note, shorter decay, etc are the main hallmarks of whether a headphone or speaker is good or not, usually because cheap headphones (like “free” or cheap earbuds) can’t produce extended bass and using any EQ to raise the higher frequency mid-bass causes a lot of distortion and loose boomy sound with a lot of resonance. While it’s true that having Goldilocks bass that is not too hot and not too cold is a good thing, and entry level Hi-Fi headphones and up (mid-fi and summit-fi) are usually much better at reaching low bass notes without distortion problems, it’s also very important to consider the midrange. Mid frequencies are where you hear all vocals, and most instruments, so this is a critical range to get right in order for the music to sound “natural” and realistic. Bass and Treble are like the “special effects” that add excitement to music, but mids are where the music is.
I appreciate your opinion, recently I bought many popular headphones like the bose 700, sony 1000whxm3, ath m50x and sennheiser momentum on ear, because so many people on youtube said they are the best, but they dont work for me.
I primarily listen to alternative rock and indie rock, bands like
Mgmt
The stone Rose's
The Cure
The Strokes
Phoenix
Vampire Weekend

I want that the drums sound like the Bright sound sample in this site
https://headphonesaddict.com/sound-signatures/

Do you think the dt1350 sound like that?

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #4,371 of 4,373
I appreciate your opinion, recently I bought many popular headphones like the bose 700, sony 1000whxm3, ath m50x and sennheiser momentum on ear, because so many people on youtube said they are the best, but they dont work for me.
Mgmt
The stone Rose's
The Cure
The Strokes
Phoenix
Vampire Weekend

Feb 12, 2022 at 9:40 AM Post #4,372 of 4,373
Mgmt
The stone Rose's
The Cure
The Strokes
Phoenix
Vampire Weekend

Honestly, I don’t like the momentum on-ear as much as the over-ear, and FYI the Momentum 2 has less bass than the Momentum 3.

I think most people would agree that the Bose 700, Sony WH1000XM3, and Audio Technica M50x are not shy about being colored with extra warm bass. Like, not just more bass than mids, but an emphasis that pretty much everyone would agree is heavy bass.

Obviously the sound of the drums in the “Bright” sound sample through your link will have a different sound depending on what headphone you play the recording through, BUT I will say that pleasant mix of instruments featured in that sound clip ought to sound very nice with several open backed headphones I can think of off the top of my head. By the way, I like all those bands you mentioned! Except I haven’t heard Phoenix before, I’ll have to look them up :) thanks for the music discovery!

Do you specifically need closed-back headphones? And do they need to be the smaller on-ear type?

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #4,373 of 4,373
Honestly, I don’t like the momentum on-ear as much as the over-ear, and FYI the Momentum 2 has less bass than the Momentum 3.

I think most people would agree that the Bose 700, Sony WH1000XM3, and Audio Technica M50x are not shy about being colored with extra warm bass. Like, not just more bass than mids, but an emphasis that pretty much everyone would agree is heavy bass.

Obviously the sound of the drums in the “Bright” sound sample through your link will have a different sound depending on what headphone you play the recording through, BUT I will say that pleasant mix of instruments featured in that sound clip ought to sound very nice with several open backed headphones I can think of off the top of my head. By the way, I like all those bands you mentioned! Except I haven’t heard Phoenix before, I’ll have to look them up :) thanks for the music discovery!

Do you specifically need closed-back headphones? And do they need to be the smaller on-ear type?
I think I could try some over hear headphones. Closed-back and open backed headphone would be fine.

Here are some "similar" bands I think you might like:
Alvvays
Foals
The boxer rebellion
Wolf Alice
The Cat mpire

Users who are viewing this thread

Back