Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Feb 12, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #3,826 of 4,373
  Is the difference between the first and second gen big enough to warrant the second gen? This is mainly for the mids. 

Can't help you there.  I've never heard the 1st gen. 

Feb 12, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #3,828 of 4,373
  I am a classical music lover, recently I got M50x because of its portability and popularity, but to my disappointment the bass was too overwhelming, while the mids sounded a bit recessed. I like the neutral sound on my DT 660 (plus the mids have more detail and larger soundstage than the M50x) but it's not portable. Does Momentum Over-Ears 2 have the sound similar to DT 660? If not what closed cans would you recommend. I'd like try to the PM3 but it's out of my budget. =(

I listened to many portable headphones and didn't care for any of them including the PM3. for very inexpensive headphones I did like AKG K240 II. somewhat transportable I guess.

Feb 12, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #3,829 of 4,373

I listened to many portable headphones and didn't care for any of them including the PM3. for very inexpensive headphones I did like AKG K240 II. somewhat transportable I guess.

So doesn't that suggest you are just very hard to please rather than reflect on the headphones? What headphones do you like?

Feb 12, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #3,830 of 4,373
I have some HD800s here that I like, I also have a pair of Grado RS1s I like, they tend to be a little uncomfortable.hifiman edition x was nice also.  I have my eyes on Beyer T5P second gen at the moment. neither fit here in the portable thread.                 

Feb 13, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #3,831 of 4,373
  I am a classical music lover ... I'd like try to the PM3 but it's out of my budget.

If you are into classical (as am I) you want cans with great separation.

I found that I had to bite the bullet and spend some money.

I have the PM-3 and HA-2 Amp/DAC. The combination is absolutely mind boggling. I can hear, at half the volume I normally use) complete separation and balance between groups and soloists in a massive orchestra. It is a jaw dropping experience.

Now granted, that combo is $700 (Amazon). If you don't like it, they'll take it back no questions asked and pay the return shipping.

Yes, it is a lot of scratch... but I spent a year trying to get to this level of sound quality and I do not think that any other gear can do this for the price.

So... honestly, having been in the same seat you are in now, my advice is to save your money or get a card with no interest for 12 months and break out the payments... but the reality is that my year of research has concluded that to get the sound you clearly require is going to cost you about $7 bills.

I am about to order and audition the IFI - MICRO IDSD DAC/Amp. I'm told it's even better than the HA-2 with which I am VERY impressed. It's 5 bills though.

You can get the sound you want.

You can NOT get it for under 500 bucks, especially as a critical classical music listener. You'll always be somewhat disappointed with something.

:)

Feb 19, 2016 at 1:51 AM Post #3,832 of 4,373
Hey all,

Wondering what some of your thoughts are on these, given the price:

Sennheiser M2 for $300
Yamaha HPH-MT220 for $200
Sony MDR-100AAP for $200
Sony MDR1A for $300
OPPO PM3 for $400

I like a warm sound, decent amount of bass/subbass. I listen mostly to R&B, Vocals/Acoustic, and Rap.

Thanks!

Feb 19, 2016 at 3:36 AM Post #3,833 of 4,373
Hey all,

Sennheiser M2 for $300
Sony MDR-100AAP for $200
Sony MDR1A for $300
OPPO PM3 for $400

I like a warm sound, decent amount of bass/subbass. I listen mostly to R&B, Vocals/Acoustic, and Rap.

Thanks!
From my experience the Yamaha is superb for the price, but for your needs the Momentum 2 could be the best choice

Feb 19, 2016 at 4:00 AM Post #3,834 of 4,373
  Hey all,

Sennheiser M2 for $300
Sony MDR-100AAP for $200
Sony MDR1A for $300
OPPO PM3 for $400

Thanks!

The M2 and PM3 both fit the bill.

Feb 19, 2016 at 5:57 AM Post #3,835 of 4,373
  Hey all,

Sennheiser M2 for $300
Sony MDR-100AAP for $200
Sony MDR1A for $300
OPPO PM3 for $400

Thanks!

I got H6 for less than $300. For my ears, it is the best among the rest

Feb 19, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #3,837 of 4,373
I just bought a pair of the sennheiser momentum 2.0 for my iphone 6, which i plan listen to them on. Would it be recommended to get a portable amp for them?

Try and see first.

Feb 19, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #3,838 of 4,373
I never expected to be saying this, but at $179, the XTZ Divine is a really solid headphone, and it is aptX Bluetooth! As much as I love my PM3 with a lovely balanced cable, I'm actually so damn sick of cables when I'm on the go, so sick of them. So I decided to try a Bluetooth headphone and frankly didn't expect that much. Brooko was talking (actually kind of raving) about the Divine and I find he has really good common sense audio knowledge and expectations. The Divine may not be quite as accomplished as the PM3, but it gets close enough and it has no cable. I will not be getting rid of the Oppo anytime soon, or so I think, but I can really see getting used to being free of the cable.

Mar 2, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #3,839 of 4,373
Hey all, new to these forums. I am torn between the MDR-1A, MDR-1ADAC (50 euros more than the former), and the Momentum 2. These will be my first pair of higher end headphones (used mostly in-ear so far), have a larger head, and like listening to modern rock, but also classical or Spanish guitar (and the occasional hip-hop, synth wave). I have been researching for hours now but I haven't been able to make up my mind entirely. Unfortunately the Oppo PM-3 is a little too expensive here (Switzerland). The 1ADAC and Momentum 2 are equally priced. Any help would be really appreciated.

Mar 2, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #3,840 of 4,373
  Hey all, new to these forums. I am torn between the MDR-1A, MDR-1ADAC (50 euros more than the former), and the Momentum 2. These will be my first pair of higher end headphones (used mostly in-ear so far), have a larger head, and like listening to modern rock, but also classical or Spanish guitar (and the occasional hip-hop, synth wave). I have been researching for hours now but I haven't been able to make up my mind entirely. Unfortunately the Oppo PM-3 is a little too expensive here (Switzerland). The 1ADAC and Momentum 2 are equally priced. Any help would be really appreciated.

As a previous owner of MDR-1A, the MDR-1A doesn't even came close M1, so the best bet will be M2 from my own opinion. Ever consider B&O H6?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back