Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Aug 23, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #3,616 of 4,373
  Just uploaded the most excellent Oppo PM-3s on my original post.

Just wonderful headphones and kudos to Oppo!!!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-26-of-the-top-closed-portable-headphones-around#post_9622611

After trying all of the headphones on your list (via my AK120 and Ipod touch 5g) and rolling the dice on the PM3's without hearing them (Oppo said just send em back if ya dont like em) I'm glad i did so and judging by your list i kinda figured they'd win ya over! 
smily_headphones1.gif
 keep up the good work btw!

Aug 23, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #3,617 of 4,373

i think the original momentums at their current price point are an absolute steal 

*provided: 1) your ears are small enough for them to be truly over ear and 2) your comfortable with that cross between on and over ear*

if thats the case, then the original momentums would be a great and mellow choice (i quite like the ivory colour, but the pair i had was black and red >.<"
i think its more on the head shape more than anything

Thats ok ,i know all the caveats associated with getting momentum.Thats not what i am asking here ,neither i am asking about its sq or sonic signature .All i am asking about whether momentum can provide the kind of details i had mentioned earlier ,whether you have experienced hearing such details(artist taking breath blah blah) when using momentum.

Thank you for the reply.

Aug 23, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #3,618 of 4,373
  After trying all of the headphones on your list (via my AK120 and Ipod touch 5g) and rolling the dice on the PM3's without hearing them (Oppo said just send em back if ya dont like em) I'm glad i did so and judging by your list i kinda figured they'd win ya over! 
smily_headphones1.gif
 keep up the good work btw!

They are quite good IMO and punch well above their weight class! Thanks!

Aug 25, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #3,619 of 4,373

They are quite good IMO and punch well above their weight class! Thanks!

Have you had a chance to hear the KEF M500 by chance? I have moved to the KEF and I rather like the signature. Just curious if you or others have had some experience with them.

Aug 25, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #3,620 of 4,373

Have you had a chance to hear the KEF M500 by chance? I have moved to the KEF and I rather like the signature. Just curious if you or others have had some experience with them.

Update #2 in my original listing. 
wink.gif

Aug 25, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #3,621 of 4,373

Update #2 in my original listing. 
wink.gif

Who would think to look there! So funny. Surprised the M500 landed so far down the list, but being subjective I'm sure opinions will vary. I had the HP50, but I found it less than portable; and I found it missing too much air and it made me feel like the HD 650, just enough missing to be noticed, but not obvious all of the time. Cheers.

Aug 26, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #3,622 of 4,373

I'm a big fan of the M500. Very neutral and engaging sound for an on ear.

Aug 26, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #3,623 of 4,373

I'm a big fan of the M500. Very neutral and engaging sound for an on ear.

I agree. In another thread somebody else was posting how the Sony MDR 1A according to Goldenears and Tyll measurements should sound cleaner and better in the bass department, but I currently have both headphones and there is no way on earth that the 1A sounds cleaner in the bass/lower midrange. The M500 is a pretty solid performer to my ears also.

Aug 26, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #3,624 of 4,373
The Sony MDR 1A is very overrated. It's not even a hifi device IMO. Agreed, with what you said, I don't understand how it got to be such a recommended phone by the press, and I didn't think it was all that great at all to be honest. 

Aug 26, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #3,625 of 4,373
It makes sense that most v-shaped headphones will find themselves in a uphill battle with audiophiles. But professional reviewers now recognize that absolute neutrality, and resolving every last detail isn't the holy grail of headphone signatures either, and nor should it be.

The Sony MDR-1A succeeds better than most at giving higher fidelity sound without treating bass like it's a ogre. It's a fine balancing act to make a headphone sit between too boring or too boomy, but they pulled it off, and in a good looking and comfortable package to boot.

Aug 26, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #3,627 of 4,373
  It makes sense that most v-shaped headphones will find themselves in a uphill battle with audiophiles. But professional reviewers now recognize that absolute neutrality, and resolving every last detail isn't the holy grail of headphone signatures either, and nor should it be.

The Sony MDR-1A succeeds better than most at giving higher fidelity sound without treating bass like it's a ogre. It's a fine balancing act to make a headphone sit between too boring or too boomy, but they pulled it off, and in a good looking and comfortable package to boot.

I own the 1A and have kept it because over all I really like many things about it, but the bass is essentially loose and this shows up with bass centric music. If you listen to Steely Dan, well it will sound excellent in the bass as their recordings tends to be very clean and a little polite with bass. Throw some Deadmau5 on the 1A and you will hear the bass bloom. On the KEF, while not perfect, the bass bloom is significantly better controlled.

Aug 26, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #3,628 of 4,373
Who would think to look there! So funny. Surprised the M500 landed so far down the list, but being subjective I'm sure opinions will vary. I had the HP50, but I found it less than portable; and I found it missing too much air and it made me feel like the HD 650, just enough missing to be noticed, but not obvious all of the time. Cheers.

Lol, sorry I couldn't resist. :wink:

With regards to the M500s, if they isolated more and leaked less, they would have been higher. But I really did enjoy their balanced sound.

Aug 31, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #3,629 of 4,373
yap, I would agree. M500 is a bit too loose on my head to be "portable". I even had some difficulty reading notes with it....tried the bending headphone trick but over time it still became a bit too loose.

Aug 31, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #3,630 of 4,373
  yap, I would agree. M500 is a bit too loose on my head to be "portable". I even had some difficulty reading notes with it....tried the bending headphone trick but over time it still became a bit too loose.

Had that and the isolation been better, they would have definitely ranked higher. I really enjoyed the way they sounded!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back