Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Jul 27, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #3,511 of 4,373
  Has anyone been able to compare the momentum 2.0 to the newest mdr-1a?  They're the two I'm going back and forth on right now and I'd like to hear other peoples' opinions on them

I've had owner experience with the Fidelio X2, Momentum 2.0 and MDR-1A.

I much prefer the sound presentation of the MDR-1A; it fits my needs as a home entertainment headphone more than the Momentum 2.0.

Since it feels like I've already typed a short novel on all the technicalities - I'll simply say; it's an emotional decision, those are the most powerful buying aids after all.

So my advice is; you need to try both; because they're both really great headphones. It's hard to give generic statements favoring one or the other, because they flip depending on your taste.

Jul 27, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #3,512 of 4,373
  Yes...I have had both.  Ask anything

Mostly listen to 90s and early 00s rock/alt/rap and modern electronic.  I'm coming from the th900 and lcd-xc and looking to downsize the damage those two headphones had in my budget.  I know mid-fi won't get a perfect replacement for either, but I'm ok with that seeing as I won't have something summit fi to compare it with.  I only mention this to give a general idea of what I listen to and what I enjoy listening to it with.

My preferences lean towards energetic, detailed and punchy bass in a device that can manage bloat well also.  I'm treble sensitive so airiness, huge staging, sparkle and the like aren't high on my list, so if they have similar bass, but one is more laid back on the top end, I would probably prefer it.  I know they both fit my head well (I have a pair of xb950bt that fit alright and was able to demo the v1 momentum a year or so ago), so I'm not too concerned with fit between the two either.  

Basically, which one is going to be the "fun" one?

I guess also, why did you choose the m2 over the 1-a?

PS - I may just end up buying both and making a decision since clearly, I'm not above spending a lot of money.

Jul 27, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #3,513 of 4,373
Myself I preferred the M2. The mids are much sweeter IMO and the bass no where near as flabby. If you can afford to float the money until you decide on one , get both from Amazon or someone that has good return policy.

Jul 27, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #3,514 of 4,373
Coming from the th900?! Well I certainly wasn't expecting somebody climbing down the ladder lol.

The "fun" one is definitely the Sony MDR-1A. Looking at the large bass hump on the Fostex FR charts, I think you'll feel right at home.

You will lose the bass control of the TH-900, but you'll have the quantity covered.

Tbh from what you've told me and your headphone history. I think the choice here is actually more between the MDR-1A and the V-MODA M100. I have my doubts you're be energized by the M2's more neutral signature.

Hope that helps you
smile.gif

Jul 27, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #3,515 of 4,373
I enjoyed the sound of my Sony. Ultimately the creaky earcup and squeak in the swivel finally was too much for me. I saw someone had a used one on headfi for sub 200, for that price they are a good buy. If the M1 fit with no issies you will be in heaven with either of the cans.

Jul 28, 2015 at 6:57 AM Post #3,517 of 4,373
In my opinion, the performance gap between something like a TH900 and M2 is so huge that i'm not sure if you can accept the downgrade.

If your preferences lean towards TH900, i think Vmoda M100 would suit you better. M2 and MDR1A sounds more like HD650, mellow and smooth. MDR1A has a bit more bass and treble while M2 has tighter bass. Personally, i find that M2 has wonderful, almost perfect tonality. My issue with it is that it does is not resolving enough.

Also, do consider other factors such as portability and comfort. Both are very comfortable for short periods, but i find MDR1A for comfortable for longer usage.

Jul 28, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #3,518 of 4,373
You should consider the Sony MDR-Z7s, which is an excellent "fun" can. I also have owned the TH900 and with the Z7 I'm totally happy. They have the detail that the MDR-1A and M2 don't have. I have never heard the M100. 

Jul 28, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #3,519 of 4,373
I actually preferred the xc over the th900, but that's good to know about how they compare.

I tried the z7 back when I was using the th900 full time and I couldn't ever get them set up right to enjoy in comparison. I'd also read a bit where there were people enjoying the 1a over the z7 so /shrug.  I also haven't heard them with bill's mods and I know they help a lot, so maybe they're back in the pile of consideration.  Though, it wouldn't be difficult for me to get both the m2 and 1a for the price I've seen the z7 at used...

I'm hoping with no summit-fi gear to compare to anymore, that won't be as big of a deal.  It certainly helped with going from hd800 to k712pro a couple years ago.

I'm thinking about throwing the new denon mm400 into the mix to try.  What I've read about them so far has me interested in how they'd compare.  Who knows, I might end up with all three and get either the m2 or 1a in their BT versions.

Jul 28, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #3,520 of 4,373
  I actually preferred the xc over the th900, but that's good to know about how they compare.

I tried the z7 back when I was using the th900 full time and I couldn't ever get them set up right to enjoy in comparison. I'd also read a bit where there were people enjoying the 1a over the z7 so /shrug.  I also haven't heard them with bill's mods and I know they help a lot, so maybe they're back in the pile of consideration.  Though, it wouldn't be difficult for me to get both the m2 and 1a for the price I've seen the z7 at used...

I'm hoping with no summit-fi gear to compare to anymore, that won't be as big of a deal.  It certainly helped with going from hd800 to k712pro a couple years ago.

I'm thinking about throwing the new denon mm400 into the mix to try.  What I've read about them so far has me interested in how they'd compare.  Who knows, I might end up with all three and get either the m2 or 1a in their BT versions.

I owned the denon as well....they sound very similar to the M2. While I don't believe in "burn in" I will say it took a really long time for them to reach their maximum sound quality.

Jul 28, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #3,521 of 4,373
Good news, the good folks at Oppo are sending me a review loaner of the PM-3. Really looking forward to finally hearing this highly regarded headphone and adding it to my listing. 
smile.gif

Jul 29, 2015 at 2:30 AM Post #3,524 of 4,373
I'm surprised the P7 is so far down the list. Sound-wise most people seem to rate it much higher than the M2, and about equal with the PM-3 (PM-3 is more reference, P7 more fun, although both pretty close).

To even quote the OP about the P7:

I absolutely love them.

The soundstaging is the best on these headphones of all the ones on this list.

Construction wise, what can I say? They're freakin' beautiful!

If I could had to pair down my collection to only 1 portable headphone, it would be the P7.

I see a lot of people compare the M2/MDR1A(Discontinued)/P7 though (and quite a few even choosing the other options over the P7). Why's that (I'm currently deciding between them all myself)?

Also, I've noticed that the MSR7 seems to have pretty much the same stats as the P7 (if looking at the charts on the Golden Ears Korean site, can't link due to new account). Why doesn't it get more love?

Jul 29, 2015 at 4:22 AM Post #3,525 of 4,373
I tried out the Bose QC25's today. 
Myer changed they demo setup so that you can listen to my own music....and I was very disappointed. To me, they sounded hollow. Especially with hardcore, heavy rock music. My friend and I tried to get into the music but we just couldn't find a way to like them. Some songs sounded good but with some fast passed music the bass suffered very badly. 

So I guess it's back to the books. I'm thinking I'm buying the Momentum 2.0s again but I may have to wait till January next year. As I saw that on the Myer website they were selling the Momentum  2..0 Wireless headphones for $399.20! Myer said that they are in fact the wireless version but I'll have to wait till January but I'm trying to get confirmation before committing to waiting that long. My doubts are that they are not but you can only have hope, right? 

I'll upload the listing later so you guys can see for yourself :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back