Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Jul 24, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #3,496 of 4,373
The MDR1A sounds better, but not tons better. and sometimes the thickness of the sound of the Sony can get boring. the QC 25's have a more vibrant sound and the noise canceling is so nice that I would rather have it

Jul 24, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #3,498 of 4,373
Hopefully I like them as much as you do potterpastor! :) I think deep down the 1As isolation would start to infuriate me in windy weather if I intended to use it portably. If I can snatch one up for cheap again it wouldn't be a bad headphone for home use!

Haha I'll take that as a way of congratulating me subguy812! sorry if it felt more frustrating for you but it did equally frustrate my indecisive self! I like to live everyday by thinking that everything happens for a reason.

Jul 24, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #3,499 of 4,373
Hopefully I like them as much as you do potterpastor!
smily_headphones1.gif
I think deep down the 1As isolation would start to infuriate me in windy weather if I intended to use it portably. If I can snatch one up for cheap again it wouldn't be a bad headphone for home use!

Haha I'll take that as a way of congratulating me subguy812! sorry if it felt more frustrating for you but it did equally frustrate my indecisive self! I like to live everyday by thinking that everything happens for a reason.

No man...I was being sincere. I hope you enjoy, anytime it is a decision and that part is over it is a good feeling.

Jul 24, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #3,500 of 4,373
I am hesitant to mention this here because I am not sure it is the correct thread.  I recently bought some AKT5p headphones, while they are on the far end of the price scale compared to the other offerings mentioned here and not sure you could really consider them portable, they are without a doubt ONE of the finest closed headphone offerings I have heard. I would wear them out and about because they do isolate, but they don't collapse or fold. They have special eq settings and are balanced when played through an AK dap, AK 100ii and higher.  If they don't belong here ok, sorry I mentioned it.

Jul 24, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #3,501 of 4,373
  No man...I was being sincere. I hope you enjoy, anytime it is a decision and that part is over it is a good feeling.

I know what you mean, It's a good feeling. Even tho the decision was made for me. 

For the ridiculously low price for Australian and/or US standards it would have been awesome to own both pairs but I hope that I get a lot of use out of the QC25's. For the price tag of AU$220 and possibly less if I can squeeze out a few dimes,I think it's a solid value for money.

Based off Lachlan's review they added a whole lot of bass to the 1A's, I listen to a lot of alternative, hard rock and industrial music. So my biggest concern was that the bass might become over bearing and ruin the experience. However the QC25's bass is a bit muddy and the highs aren't as detailed (based off what Lachlan had to say in his review) so I really hope that the QC25's will none the less still satisfy all my needs. As I don't want to turn around and look for another alternative. 

I will however, wait and see what happens in January 2016. As at MYER Australia they had the Sennheiser Momentum wireless headphones going for as low as AU$399. The RRP they listed was Au$499 so I was convinced that it was actually the standard wired version as the wireless version retails for AU$799 and they just made an error.  After calling customer service it is in fact the wireless version but I have to wait till January next year as all should know Sennheiser has recalled all of their stock. I've filled out a merchandise request form and all I need to do is to keep a copy of the lowest price that they advertised and they'll try and get them in for me next year and honor the price. My hopes aren't very high but if it all works out I may get a stellar deal, it's worth the try!

LINK: http://www.myer.com.au/shop/mystore/sennheiser-sennheiser-momentum-20-around-ear-headphones-black#

Jul 24, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #3,502 of 4,373
  I am hesitant to mention this here because I am not sure it is the correct thread.  I recently bought some AKT5p headphones, while they are on the far end of the price scale compared to the other offerings mentioned here and not sure you could really consider them portable, they are without a doubt ONE of the finest closed headphone offerings I have heard. I would wear them out and about because they do isolate, but they don't collapse or fold. They have special eq settings and are balanced when played through an AK dap, AK 100ii and higher.  If they don't belong here ok, sorry I mentioned it.

Are you sure you're not Canadian? No need to apologize. 
smile.gif

I wrote a review for the AKT5ps on Headphone.guru a few months back and loved them. For sound quality, I'd put them at the top of this listing...but portability would take a hit. If the earcups folded flat and if they came with a storage bag/case, then they would get an uptick in score.

I've been toying with the idea of adding both the Sony Z7s and A&K AKT5ps here...if I get some time this summer, I think I just might.

Jul 24, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #3,504 of 4,373
How do those Z7's compare balanced to the AKT5p?

The AKT5ps are the more neutral headphones with a very expansive sound stage, while the Z7s are definitely darker with quite a bit more bass. I prefer the former, but the latter are still outstanding headphones (especially with the Kimber cable upgrade).

Jul 26, 2015 at 5:00 AM Post #3,505 of 4,373
IMO, the Z7's bass can be rather overwhelming. It's not that it's loose or boomy, just that there is rather a lot of it - it dominates the balance.

Jul 26, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #3,506 of 4,373
The MDR1A sounds better, but not tons better. and sometimes the thickness of the sound of the Sony can get boring. the QC 25's have a more vibrant sound and the noise canceling is so nice that I would rather have it

Awesome to hear, thank you for that. 

For AU$200 retrospectively, would you say that there's any better portable headphone that I could get for my money's worth? 

Jul 27, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #3,507 of 4,373
  Awesome to hear, thank you for that. 

For AU$200 retrospectively, would you say that there's any better portable headphone that I could get for my money's worth? 

I highly recommend you try Bose Soundtrue Around Ear. I think it sounds better than QC25. Not as portable but much cheaper.It is as comfortable if not more because it is lighter.

Jul 27, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #3,508 of 4,373
  I highly recommend you try Bose Soundtrue Around Ear. I think it sounds better than QC25. Not as portable but much cheaper.It is as comfortable if not more because it is lighter.

I don't have much experience with the soundtrue around ear headphones but I haven't heard a huge amount of good things about it either..in Australia I think they retail for AU$200 which is essentially the same as what I'm paying for, for the QC25's. brand new and sealed. I've tried the Soundtrue headphones on and they are very light indeed but I don't like how the corners protrude from my head. 

The seller was happy to offer her lowest possible offer of AU$210 as I am traveling down to Sydney to pick them up. Considering that she listed it for AU$349 originally, she was happy with the price I offered even though others offered more, I'm very grateful. 

Jul 27, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #3,510 of 4,373
  Has anyone been able to compare the momentum 2.0 to the newest mdr-1a?  They're the two I'm going back and forth on right now and I'd like to hear other peoples' opinions on them

Yes...I have had both.  Ask anything

Users who are viewing this thread

Back