Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Jun 14, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #3,436 of 4,373
Fwiw the msr7 is one of the few headphones I actually found really ear piercing in the treble, more so than the m70x. I wasn't listening to bad recordings either, it was all high quality flac files. If you don't like bright headphones definitely make sure you get them from somewhere with a good return policy so you can try them out for a week and then return them if need be.

Jun 14, 2015 at 6:49 AM Post #3,437 of 4,373
  but what about real life reproduction , i mostly listen to hi res file, even on the go, but the problem that i see with the msr7 if is that much treble happy it may be accurate but not realistic nor natural, for example the ma900 is similar to the senn hd600 in the real life reproductions of violins, guitars and a lot of string based instrument yet they are in the darker side of treble and the problem that i see with the mdr 1a is the added bass and problably if is similar to the 1r the lack of dinamics and resolution.IK

i wish i have heard ma900 so that i can try to accurately describe the differences.

mdr7 does not have big peaks like dt880. it's neutral-bright.it's 'neutral' not 'natural'. HD600 is dark with slight warmth tilt. the important question is, do you like neutral-bright sound? if your library are audiophile genre with warm or neutral recording, msr7 is absolutely perfect for that. I'm confident to even say that it is the best in the price range for that. Only PM3 will offer an upgrade. If your library is like mine with modern treble happy recording, you wont appreciate msr7. MDR1A sounds good with everything whereas MSR7 is much more unforgiving. It can sound absolutely amazing or might annoy you when recording is not smooth.

I just realised you had srh 440. I have not listened to them for a long time, so take my words with a grain of salt. Srh440 is very similar to MSR7 in treble levels. If you like Srh440, you'll like MSR7. I do have good memory of SRH840 and MSR7 is slightly brighter than 840.

Jun 16, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #3,438 of 4,373

i wish i have heard ma900 so that i can try to accurately describe the differences.

mdr7 does not have big peaks like dt880. it's neutral-bright.it's 'neutral' not 'natural'. HD600 is dark with slight warmth tilt. the important question is, do you like neutral-bright sound? if your library are audiophile genre with warm or neutral recording, msr7 is absolutely perfect for that. I'm confident to even say that it is the best in the price range for that. Only PM3 will offer an upgrade. If your library is like mine with modern treble happy recording, you wont appreciate msr7. MDR1A sounds good with everything whereas MSR7 is much more unforgiving. It can sound absolutely amazing or might annoy you when recording is not smooth.

I just realised you had srh 440. I have not listened to them for a long time, so take my words with a grain of salt. Srh440 is very similar to MSR7 in treble levels. If you like Srh440, you'll like MSR7. I do have good memory of SRH840 and MSR7 is slightly brighter than 840.

they're like the senn hd600 with a bit more bass(but with a non existent sub bass) and almost the same level of detail, (i listened the hd600 from odac), but you know i will love to have the pm3 but way out of my budget (limit<250 usd) and from my country i can't find any of those heaadphones to try out (i'll import them), but for  a portable headphone wich one would you pick considering that for example in my case i mostly listen to industrial metal (rammstein, Mmanson), power metal (stratovarius,rhapsody of fire, lucca turrille rhapsody) and a lot of other metal genre (system of a down,motley crue,guns&roses etc) with another ton of rock (led zeppelin,rage against,red hot,ac/dc,foo fighters, the offspring and new amazings bands) and in that mix throw orchestral music(but i don't care if they don't do this perfectly, i listen a lot of this at home and i'lll prefer the sound of open cans like my sony for this job).
this is a good example of what i listen

i need them to be portable and under 250 usd, so anyone can help me?, currently i own shure srh440(boring but hell they show you everything) and mdr ma900(love them, sound amazing with everything), and have listened hd600(really liked) and bose qc25(was a fun headphone but didn't have detail)

Jun 17, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #3,441 of 4,373
"i need them to be portable and under 250 usd, so anyone can help me?"

Full size portable headphones? Is that a contradiction - how about some huge portable Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs 
gs1000.gif

Jun 17, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #3,443 of 4,373
sorry was joking about mr speakers -still recommend vmoda m-100 are over ear full size portable headphone- very good performance- i believe you can find deals for 250 or even better on used market.

Jun 18, 2015 at 2:45 AM Post #3,444 of 4,373
  "i need them to be portable and under 250 usd, so anyone can help me?"

Full size portable headphones? Is that a contradiction - how about some huge portable Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs 
gs1000.gif

sorry was joking about mr speakers -still recommend vmoda m-100 are over ear full size portable headphone- very good performance- i believe you can find deals for 250 or even better on used market.

the price is actually lowered recently to 249.99~ so its worth a shot!

if your looking for full size, maybe the focal spirit one? (which i found to be quite good at being a portable headphone, good isolation, tight bass, and a smooth treble)
or the focal spirit one s (those can be found around that price).
another example would be the often recommended ath m50x,

Jun 20, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #3,445 of 4,373
How does the NAD HP50 compare to the Momentum 2 soundwise?

I like a balanced sound signature, with a lot of clarity and natural timbre to the instruments and voices. And also a sound that is forgiving with poorer recordings.

Jun 20, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #3,446 of 4,373

i have another question, how they do compare (msr7 against srh440) i mean the srh440 is amazing for its price and fenomenal for monitoring (as i was saying boring flat and kind of tiny sounding.. like a can) and how is the msr7 bass? i listened to some sony headphones and i remember why i love mdr ma900 so much... is anything but a sony headphone (is just another animal), but from what you're saying if the msr7 is more comfortable, have a similar treble (detailid but not overkilling treble) and offer a more spacius with a little more bom bom sound... then i would pull the trigger, plus they're portable... and i was tired to use my shr440 on the go(currently i use my earpots... i hate them... but i hate more not hearing my music).

Jun 21, 2015 at 2:18 AM Post #3,447 of 4,373
  How does the NAD HP50 compare to the Momentum 2 soundwise?

I like a balanced sound signature, with a lot of clarity and natural timbre to the instruments and voices. And also a sound that is forgiving with poorer recordings.

Momentum2 is darker in treble, and neutral in bass. It works wonderful for poor recordings. NAD is warmer which gives vocals more body and has more treble. The treble levels is slightly below neutral. On treble happy recordings, it will have slight sibilance whereas it is almost impossible to have sibilance with M2. In short, the NAD is more resolving in the treble region which makes is less forgiving with poorer recordings. This is in comparison with M2. I wouldn't label them as unforgiving headphones. NAD has slightly more bass too. In terms of resolution and detail levels, they are not too far off each other. They both are good sound wise. M2 are a bit mid centric while the NAD is more neutral.

Jun 21, 2015 at 2:21 AM Post #3,448 of 4,373
  i have another question, how they do compare (msr7 against srh440) i mean the srh440 is amazing for its price and fenomenal for monitoring (as i was saying boring flat and kind of tiny sounding.. like a can) and how is the msr7 bass? i listened to some sony headphones and i remember why i love mdr ma900 so much... is anything but a sony headphone (is just another animal), but from what you're saying if the msr7 is more comfortable, have a similar treble (detailid but not overkilling treble) and offer a more spacius with a little more bom bom sound... then i would pull the trigger, plus they're portable... and i was tired to use my shr440 on the go(currently i use my earpots... i hate them... but i hate more not hearing my music).

MSR7 seems to have more bass than SRh440. They seems pretty similar everywhere else. MSR7 has slightly more than neutral treble. It's unforgiving in the treble region just like SRH440. Which can be a good thing or bad depending on the quality of your tracks.

Isn't your SRH440 quite portable in that they can be fold up quite compact. 

Jun 21, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #3,449 of 4,373

MSR7 seems to have more bass than SRh440. They seems pretty similar everywhere else. MSR7 has slightly more than neutral treble. It's unforgiving in the treble region just like SRH440. Which can be a good thing or bad depending on the quality of your tracks.

Isn't your SRH440 quite portable in that they can be fold up quite compact. 

they're transportable but not portable, i want something on the go, that offer me a neutral but fun sound, i don't want something with more treble than the srh440, but if the msr7 has a similar level of treble, more bass and i suspect a bump in the mids then it should be fun, detailed and engaging, and i guess it doesn't sound "tiny" like srh440 do sometimes.

Jun 21, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #3,450 of 4,373
  Momentum2 is darker in treble, and neutral in bass. It works wonderful for poor recordings. NAD is warmer which gives vocals more body and has more treble. The treble levels is slightly below neutral. On treble happy recordings, it will have slight sibilance whereas it is almost impossible to have sibilance with M2. In short, the NAD is more resolving in the treble region which makes is less forgiving with poorer recordings. This is in comparison with M2. I wouldn't label them as unforgiving headphones. NAD has slightly more bass too. In terms of resolution and detail levels, they are not too far off each other. They both are good sound wise. M2 are a bit mid centric while the NAD is more neutral.

How do they compare in soundstage and imaging?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back