Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Apr 20, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #3,227 of 4,373
Apr 20, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #3,228 of 4,373
The QC25s are my go to headphone for travel time 
wink.gif

Apr 20, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #3,230 of 4,373
Argh! It's so frustrating coming back to this thread time and time again!

I'm literally stuck between buying the M2 and HP50 right now.

I'm a Philips Fidelio X2 owner, but I'm finding them just too heavy and bulky. I'm looking for something lighter in weight with a similar refined SQ but with a "better" deeper, punchy bass from a closed back.

Everything about the sound of the HP50 looks better than the M2 on paper (Tyll's FR charts) my ears say; get the HP50, but my gut says; stick with the safe "better built" option, and live with the fact that I will never know how good the HP50 sounded.

Apr 20, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #3,231 of 4,373

I'm a Philips Fidelio X2 owner, but I'm finding them just too heavy and bulky. I'm looking for something lighter in weight with a similar refined SQ but with a "better" deeper, punchy bass from a closed back.

Everything about the sound of the HP50 looks better than the M2 on paper (Tyll's FR charts) my ears say; get the HP50, but my gut says; stick with the safe "better built" option, and live with the fact that I will never know how good the HP50 sounded.

My sentiments exactly.

Apr 20, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #3,233 of 4,373

The only thing that is different is the cable, the headphones themselves are the same. Frankly speaking, I don't understand why Sennheiser does not include cables for both Android and iOS smartphones given the steep asking price. 

Seriously, give the Momentum a listen. The sonic signature, soundstage and clarity of each instrument make for an outstanding listening experience. I don't regret I got these. 

+1 They are a musical hp.

Apr 21, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #3,236 of 4,373

Buy the HP50s used. Then if you don't like them you can sell them for about what you paid... Meanwhile the price on the M2 will slowly come down. You will be giving up a lot of the airiness of the X2 with either the M2 or HP50...

Apr 21, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #3,237 of 4,373
I considered the PSB M4U1 and M4U2 (+ also the FSP) better head padding than the HP50, similar sound, but at 362g and 340g - I will have the same inertia problems as I do with the X2 when I move my head (while drumming).

The music genres I like are often too busy to properly appreciate much airiness in the X2's sound. It's a nice quality to have during quieter moments, but I have studio monitors for proper "airy" listening.

I will gladly sacrifice air in a headphone, for increased portability when I'm away from my studio monitors.

Apr 21, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #3,238 of 4,373
The HP50 are a really nice sounding hp. I no longer have them, but I truly enjoy the M2 more. The comfort of the M2 is great and it doesn't have that funky headband the HP50's have. I wear the M2 for all activities.

Apr 21, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #3,239 of 4,373
MH,

Another contender: http://www.adl-av.com/products/headphones/h128/

Listening to them now (they initially sent me a bad unit), and man... it sounds excellent (at least on par or better than the Master and Dynamics MH40s, the new Ultrasone Performance, etc.). They clamp a bit but I find them comfortable. They come in a nice case, have 2 removable cables and are not that difficult to drive but they are definitely excelling when amped! Bass is not overly emphasized, highs are not ear-piercing, mids don't sound slow nor peaky, I think I'm liking it a lot. Need to do full on compares but they sound good.

Apr 21, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #3,240 of 4,373
  MH,

Another contender: http://www.adl-av.com/products/headphones/h128/

Listening to them now (they initially sent me a bad unit), and man... it sounds excellent (at least on par or better than the Master and Dynamics MH40s, the new Ultrasone Performance, etc.). They clamp a bit but I find them comfortable. They come in a nice case, have 2 removable cables and are not that difficult to drive but they are definitely excelling when amped! Bass is not overly emphasized, highs are not ear-piercing, mids don't sound slow nor peaky, I think I'm liking it a lot. Need to do full on compares but they sound good.

Yo quit playing and get the PM-3. I want to know how you feel about them. Also, how are your 1540's holding up. I miss those alcantara pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back