Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Feb 21, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #2,911 of 4,373
Hi Peter,

Any chance for inclusion of Focal Spirit One / Pro on the list? I listened to the Spirit One and PSB M4U 1 quite recently and, I was quite impressed by the PSB (not so much by the Spirit One). I'm organizing a demo for the spirit pro next weekend, and originally the plan was to get either the Spirit Pro if I like it, or the PSB M4U if I don't 1 for my portable cans.

But seeing how you are impressed by the Momentum 2 I might have to wait and try to listen to the Momentum 2 which, should not be difficult to demo. I noticed you gave 3.5 portability score for the Momentum 2, and only 2.5 for the predecessor. What is it actually that makes the successor more portable than the predecessor? I really hope I would like the sound of it as I like its styling as well, while the B&O H6 is nowhere to be found here in NZ.

Feb 21, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #2,912 of 4,373
  Hi Peter,

Any chance for inclusion of Focal Spirit One / Pro on the list? I listened to the Spirit One and PSB M4U 1 quite recently and, I was quite impressed by the PSB (not so much by the Spirit One). I'm organizing a demo for the spirit pro next weekend, and originally the plan was to get either the Spirit Pro if I like it, or the PSB M4U if I don't 1 for my portable cans.

But seeing how you are impressed by the Momentum 2 I might have to wait and try to listen to the Momentum 2 which, should not be difficult to demo. I noticed you gave 3.5 portability score for the Momentum 2, and only 2.5 for the predecessor. What is it actually that makes the successor more portable than the predecessor? I really hope I would like the sound of it as I like its styling as well, while the B&O H6 is nowhere to be found here in NZ.

They are on my radar. But things have been busy...hopefully by the spring. 
redface.gif

The Momentum 2 is the real deal IMO.  The difference is that the successor, the earcups fold inwards and thus it collapses better into a smaller package. The case is also smaller as a result over the original.

Feb 21, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #2,913 of 4,373

redface.gif

The Momentum 2 is the real deal IMO.  The difference is that the successor, the earcups fold inwards and thus it collapses better into a smaller package. The case is also smaller as a result over the original.

Well that's good news (both). I like your reviews, and one of the main reason why I'm eyeing the Focal Spirit is because it folds.. Seems like Sennheiser is really upping their game in portables then.

Feb 21, 2015 at 1:12 AM Post #2,914 of 4,373

redface.gif

I agree these are the real deal.....I have been impressed. I will say this, I tried the original Momentum 2X and returned them both times. These are the complete package. Again...I cannot justify the $$$ for the wireless version. It is a really enjoyable experience.

Feb 21, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #2,915 of 4,373
Just a heads up...in case anyone is interested, I've just updated my original posting to now include the new Sennheiser Momentum 2 Over-Ears (wired version):

http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-23-of-the-top-closed-portable-headphones-around#post_9622611

Colour me impressed! Great job Sennheiser!!! One of my favourite headphone manufacturers...I've owned my HD800s for 5 years now and they are still among the very best headphones I've heard and I'm very happy to see (and hear) that Sennheiser is still on their game!

Thanks for your awesome review of the new Momentum! Looking forward to your impression of the on-ear version! :wink_face:

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Feb 23, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #2,916 of 4,373
Peter,

Nice review.  I think it is spot on. I as well think they deserve the top spot. As much as I enjoyed the HP50 and the T51p the M2 is a notch better. The sq, comfort and build quality make them the complete package. While the drivers may be the same they are clearly tuned differently. My hats off to Sennheiser for listening to their customers. I really wasn't a fan of the first gen. Momentum, and I bought them twice to make sure and returned them both times. Nice job with the improved Momentum. Listening to some VH 1984 in FLAC and smiling as I type this. The soundstage and imaging .... Eddie never sounded better.

Feb 23, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #2,917 of 4,373
  Peter,

Nice review.  I think it is spot on. I as well think they deserve the top spot. As much as I enjoyed the HP50 and the T51p the M2 is a notch better. The sq, comfort and build quality make them the complete package. While the drivers may be the same they are clearly tuned differently. My hats off to Sennheiser for listening to their customers. I really wasn't a fan of the first gen. Momentum, and I bought them twice to make sure and returned them both times. Nice job with the improved Momentum. Listening to some VH 1984 in FLAC and smiling as I type this. The soundstage and imaging .... Eddie never sounded better.

Thanks man! I agree with your assessments on the M2 over ears completely. 
L3000.gif

Feb 24, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #2,921 of 4,373
  No pressure but the answer better be that the T51p pales in comparison to the Momentum M2 since I already sold off my T51p... :)

Yikes...I would doubt there would be a "pales" in comparison. But I know the over ears sound better to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back