Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Aug 28, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #2,462 of 4,373
  Just bought the B&W P7. They sound pretty damn good, and it can only get better. OP, how much time did you spend with these? Did you notice a big difference with burn in?

Oh what to hell, I shouldn't but I will. The notion of burn-in is quite a debated phenomena here at head-fi. Another explanation is that rather than the headphone changing in some way, it is our brain that gets used to the new sound signature, hence many subscribe to the notion of brain burn-in as opposed to headphone burn in. Ultimately it really doesn't matter why, but very typically if you like the headphones signature right away you will over the next little while notice improvement and then it will seem to just stabilize. Eventually if you are like many people you will get used to the sound signature and crave hearing something different. Enjoy your new headphones my friend.

Aug 28, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #2,463 of 4,373

Oh what to hell, I shouldn't but I will. The notion of burn-in is quite a debated phenomena here at head-fi. Another explanation is that rather than the headphone changing in some way, it is our brain that gets used to the new sound signature, hence many subscribe to the notion of brain burn-in as opposed to headphone burn in. Ultimately it really doesn't matter why, but very typically if you like the headphones signature right away you will over the next little while notice improvement and then it will seem to just stabilize. Eventually if you are like many people you will get used to the sound signature and crave hearing something different. Enjoy your new headphones my friend.

Thanks man. Another possible explanation might be that the headband loosens up a little, no? It would explain why a lot of people find the P7 bass boomy at first (which I agree with, and I think they sounded a little more balanced in the store).

Anyways, I'm enjoying these a lot!

Aug 28, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #2,464 of 4,373
The pads likely change over time, so that might affect the seal, and the bass as well... but overall, brain burn is a better concept.

Enjoy them. 

Aug 28, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #2,465 of 4,373
After reading this thread, I decided to take a gamble on the Sony MDR10RDC (same as the MDR10RNC but without the iPhone-friendly mic cable). Bought it via an eBay open-box special for about $75 plus shipping.

Keeping the noise out? Great! Very quiet and comfortable. It fulfills its main purpose.

Sound quality? Just OK. Kind of murky and distant out of my iPhone. Highs and mids lack clarity but an external amp may help... haven't tried this yet. Also keep in mind I'm coming from a Decware HD800 setup so I'm extra judgmental. :wink:

Noise cancelling circuit is a little quirky. You might hear some quiet squealing when the sound is at near silence, but it's not a dealbreaker unless it's also picking up radio signals (some people report issues with this). 

Value for the money? Unbeatable at $75. Retail price I wouldn't want to go much over $120-ish for these. Certainly not worth the $250 MSRP.

Final verdict? Recommended for somewhat un-fussy listeners who want a cheap, comfortable, reasonably-portable pair of closed cans for noisy environments.

I wish there were more cans in this category! Hope to give the others a demo at RMAF/next Dallas meet. 

Aug 28, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #2,466 of 4,373
  Thanks man. Another possible explanation might be that the headband loosens up a little, no? It would explain why a lot of people find the P7 bass boomy at first (which I agree with, and I think they sounded a little more balanced in the store).

Anyways, I'm enjoying these a lot!

Could be part of the perceived change. Likely there is a combination of factors, but it seems most plausible that brain burn-in is the biggest contributor. Hopefully you hang around head-fi and enjoy the community. It is a great place (hard on the wallet mind you!) and you will learn a great deal here, I know I have. There are two debates/pit-falls to be aware of, burn-in and the debate over expensive cables. I mention this as I am sure you will notice these themes creeping into many threads. They can trigger some pretty passionate conversations. Anyway, welcome and I hope you have a great time here. Cheers.

Aug 28, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #2,467 of 4,373
  I decided to take a gamble on the Sony MDR10RDC... 

Sound quality? Just OK. Kind of murky and distant out of my iPhone. Highs and mids lack clarity but an external amp may help... 

Yep, amping definitely helps. Sound quality is much better from my laptop headphone outs than via the iPhone.

Now off to find a small & decent portable amp. Or just deal. 
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 28, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #2,468 of 4,373
  Just bought the B&W P7. They sound pretty damn good, and it can only get better. OP, how much time did you spend with these? Did you notice a big difference with burn in?

I owned them for several months (like 5 or so). I found that they needed about 50 hours or so of burn in before they settled down.

Aug 28, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #2,469 of 4,373
  After reading this thread, I decided to take a gamble on the Sony MDR10RDC (same as the MDR10RNC but without the iPhone-friendly mic cable). Bought it via an eBay open-box special for about $75 plus shipping.

Keeping the noise out? Great! Very quiet and comfortable. It fulfills its main purpose.

Sound quality? Just OK. Kind of murky and distant out of my iPhone. Highs and mids lack clarity but an external amp may help... haven't tried this yet. Also keep in mind I'm coming from a Decware HD800 setup so I'm extra judgmental. :wink:

Noise cancelling circuit is a little quirky. You might hear some quiet squealing when the sound is at near silence, but it's not a dealbreaker unless it's also picking up radio signals (some people report issues with this). 

Value for the money? Unbeatable at $75. Retail price I wouldn't want to go much over $120-ish for these. Certainly not worth the $250 MSRP.

Final verdict? Recommended for somewhat un-fussy listeners who want a cheap, comfortable, reasonably-portable pair of closed cans for noisy environments.

I wish there were more cans in this category! Hope to give the others a demo at RMAF/next Dallas meet. 

I've heard the RDC had some issues. I can confirm that the RNCs do not suffer from any "quiet squealing". The radio signals you're experiencing can be problematic of some wireless headphones (I had them on the UE9000s too).

I guess if no one wants mine, I may just have to give them to my wife for air travel....they'll help drown out our 2 kids. 
wink.gif

Aug 28, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #2,470 of 4,373
  I've heard the RDC had some issues. I can confirm that the RNCs do not suffer from any "quiet squealing". The radio signals you're experiencing can be problematic of some wireless headphones (I had them on the UE9000s too).

You know, that might be why they were only $75. Oh well... I'll mentally tune out the noise within the noise-cancelling. *facepalm*

BTW thanks for putting together such a cool review! Hopefully we'll see more offerings in the future from other companies.

Aug 28, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #2,471 of 4,373

You know, that might be why they were only $75. Oh well... I'll mentally tune out the noise within the noise-cancelling. *facepalm*

BTW thanks for putting together such a cool review! Hopefully we'll see more offerings in the future from other companies.

You got a heck of a deal on them for sure. 
smile.gif

Now I'm thinking maybe I want to add the Blue Mo-Fi Headphones to my listing. They may be big, but with a built in amp, they don't need a LOD and separate amp to drive them fully. Plus I think they look really cool.

Aug 28, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #2,472 of 4,373
  You got a heck of a deal on them for sure. 
smile.gif

Now I'm thinking maybe I want to add the Blue Mo-Fi Headphones to my listing. They may be big, but with a built in amp, they don't need a LOD and separate amp to drive them fully. Plus I think they look really cool.

But would you actually wear them in public? I swear they look like a medical apparatus.

Aug 29, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #2,474 of 4,373
One things for sure... I like the way she looks! :)

Aug 29, 2014 at 2:25 AM Post #2,475 of 4,373
If you get the mofi I will enjoy your review. They look interesting to me too.

I broke down and ordered the Fidelio L2 from Amazon Japan due to a great price $250CAD so probably around $300 landed. So will be posting some impressions when they arrive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back