Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Mar 14, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #1,846 of 4,373
I read that the Mikros have non-existent bass and are better suited for jazz or classical.

See below...

LOL that is a false claim. They have very adequate bass.

Very adequate, huge even... (assuming the pads fit your ears properly, they can be quite fiddly to get situated right-- I suppose the claims of lacking bass come from bad fit)

Thats simply false.

X2

Yep.

Mar 15, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #1,847 of 4,373
I read that the Mikros have non-existent bass and are better suited for jazz or classical.

See below...

LOL that is a false claim. They have very adequate bass.

Very adequate, huge even... (assuming the pads fit your ears properly, they can be quite fiddly to get situated right-- I suppose the claims of lacking bass come from bad fit)

Thats simply false.

X2

Yep.

Yup. Plenty o bass. And throw them on a lowly amp like the C&C BH... magic :)

Mar 15, 2014 at 4:04 AM Post #1,849 of 4,373
Anyone know anything about the Brainwavz HM5?

Also, should the ATH-M50x be considered here?

I own the NVX XPT-100, which is the same thing as the HM5 but $50 cheaper, has less clamping force, and comes with two different types of pads. It's a very bulky headphone not really the best for portable despite having two cables and one being a good length for portable use and sounds pretty good basically plugged into anything, it's bulky and looks goofy on your head. It's best used as a home headphone or a semi-portable headphone. It has well-balance sound, quite neutral with rather tame highs and a good soundstage for a closed headphone. They have a Sennheiserish sound to them.

Mar 15, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #1,850 of 4,373
Hello,

I've been looking at getting a pair of headphones that is the kind described here. I want them to be my all-around pair, and since that includes using them on public transit, they should most definitely be closed and at least somewhat portable. I think this also means that they should be around-ear, but I'm willing to consider on-ear too if it satisfies everything.

Here are my priorities:

1. Isolation. I do not want these to leak noise if I use them in public, in either a very noisy bus or a very quiet library.

2. Comfort. I want to be able to wear these for a long period of time and not get sore or feel squished or anything. I bought a pair of V-Moda Crossfade LPs and they were so stupidly uncomfortable I had to return them. My ears aren't huge but I just couldn't stand them.

3. Sound. I listen to rock, metal, and electronic music, so bass and mids are important.I have low standards since I've never owned a decent pair of headphones, but I'd just like to be "wowed". I want the sound to be distinct but powerful yet clear, you know? No more of that muddy mushy garbage. I am not planning on using an amp but would consider it if it's cheap and portable and a good value for what it adds.

4. Build. I treat my headphones very well. They will not get abused. However, I will be walking with them outside in cold Michigan winters, so if some light snow or sub-10° temperatures would destroy them, that's not good. But if this is a deciding factor, let me know, because I can accommodate at least the snow part by wearing a hood or hat. Not sure what I can do about the cold, but then again I'm not sure what the effects of cold are on headphones.

5. Looks. Honestly, I just don't want to look ridiculous wearing these in public. That's my only requirement here.

6. Price. Not really an issue. I'll pay as long as I'm getting what I pay for.

I've researched and considered the B&W P7s, the Sony MDR 1RS, the NAD HP50s, Focal Spirit Classic/Professional, PSB M4U 1/2, and more others than any sane person should have to consider. Pleeease tell me what I want.

Sony MDR-7520 ticks all the boxes. I love mine...and my M100s but clearly those are out if you hated the fit of the LPs.

Mar 15, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #1,851 of 4,373
I'm highly curious about the MDR-7520, and the Focal Spirit Pro... and may as well include the Thinksound ON1... 
biggrin.gif

Mar 15, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #1,852 of 4,373
MDR-7520 are great sounding headphones. Their isolation is as good as NAD HP50 and Focal Spirit (don't remember which one) . Both NAD and Spirit have to much bass for my taste when driven by RWAK100 and even bringing it all the way down using EQ doesn't help

Mar 15, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #1,853 of 4,373
MDR-7520 are great sounding headphones. Their isolation is as good as NAD HP50 and Focal Spirit (don't remember which one) . Both NAD and Spirit have to much bass for my taste when driven by RWAK100 and even bringing it all the way down using EQ doesn't help

Interesting, we all hear differently.  I would suspect the AK100 since both the Spirit Pro and NAD are not bass hyped compared to lots of cans.  Not sure how the RW modded AK sounds but the stock one is way warm in the bass.

Mar 15, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #1,856 of 4,373
Excellent thread...I've been meaning to try to run down the P7's and NAD's as easy to drive over ear closed cans.  Now I'm going to have to do so.  :)

Mar 16, 2014 at 5:49 AM Post #1,859 of 4,373

Users who are viewing this thread

Back