Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Dec 5, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #1,066 of 4,373

Good call, try to remove the earpad and gently blow on diaphragm.

Actually get one of those spray cans with air in them and use that to blow away dust gently. If you blow with your breath, you will also blow moisture onto the diaphragm, since your breath always contains moisture. You wouldn't want to inadvertently damage the headphone, right? :)

Compressed air is a bad idea, too strong for sensitive diaphragm, if moisture or coffee breath :) is a concern, use a rubber syringe.

Dec 5, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #1,067 of 4,373

Well thanks for the heads up. It's probably just a random defective unit though. I haven't seen much anecdotal evidence about defective units, but there generally isn't that much information to be found about the 7520 anyway.

Great news!!  The 7520s aren't defective after all.  I was about to package them up but then decided to listen to them one last time on the iMac >> HeadRoom Ultra Desktop Amp setup.  I sat there in disbelief when I didn't hear any distortion.  Then I listened to the 7520s on the iPhone 5 and Classic iPod pushing the volume to about 90% max.  Again no distortion.  The problem is with the connection with the MacBook Pro and the 7520s.  When I swapped the 7520 cable with an auxiliary cable the distortion was gone.  Man I'm so glad I don't have to return the headphones!!  

Dec 5, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #1,068 of 4,373
  Great news!!  The 7520s aren't defective after all.  I was about to package them up but then decided to listen to them one last time on the iMac >> HeadRoom Ultra Desktop Amp setup.  I sat there in disbelief when I didn't hear any distortion.  Then I listened to the 7520s on the iPhone 5 and Classic iPod pushing the volume to about 90% max.  Again no distortion.  The problem is with the connection with the MacBook Pro and the 7520s.  When I swapped the 7520 cable with an auxiliary cable the distortion was gone.  Man I'm so glad I don't have to return the headphones!!  

great man 
biggrin.gif

Dec 5, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #1,069 of 4,373
I can imagine a sad song in your head while you were packing them up, like it was your last supper.

I'm starting to understand the ue6000's place now... They are very dull and very dark. It took some hardcore eq'ing to make these sing.

Dec 5, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #1,071 of 4,373
I can imagine a sad song in your head while you were packing them up, like it was your last supper.

I'm starting to understand the ue6000's place now... They are very dull and very dark. It took some hardcore eq'ing to make these sing.

The UE4k is another headphone worth mentioning... To SOME people, eg, my brother, will like the Ue4k better than UE6k..

Dec 5, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #1,072 of 4,373
It may just be that im too used to open headphones (really open ones!) Like my ma900 to actually appreciate a congested headphone like the ue6000. This is off subject, but the ma900's just an absolutely perfect headphone at its price. I find no flaws! I mean, even the bass is better than the ue6000's and many other closed cans!

Dec 5, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #1,073 of 4,373
I listened to the NAD's, Momentum On ears and P7 today at a local shop.  The Momentum's are really comfy and sound pretty good but just a tad dark and congested for my liking.  The NAD's sound very nice, clear with nice depth but they are a touch too big for my tastes with a very thick profile.  P7's are gorgeous and sound fantastic!  Great bass without hiding mid presentation.  They are my favourite out of the three but do I want to spend $400 on my daily portable headphones????  I wish I could find the M500's somewhere to audition.  From the impressions here they sound like they would be perfect.  The hunt continues....

Dec 5, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #1,074 of 4,373
I listened to the NAD's, Momentum On ears and P7 today at a local shop.  The Momentum's are really comfy and sound pretty good but just a tad dark and congested for my liking.  The NAD's sound very nice, clear with nice depth but they are a touch too big for my tastes with a very thick profile.  P7's are gorgeous and sound fantastic!  Great bass without hiding mid presentation.  They are my favourite out of the three but do I want to spend $400 on my daily portable headphones????  I wish I could find the M500's somewhere to audition.  From the impressions here they sound like they would be perfect.  The hunt continues....

Order from best buy. Return if you don't like it.

Dec 5, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #1,076 of 4,373
Order from best buy. Return if you don't like it.

Best Best in Canada does not have as many headphones as in the US.:frowning2:  They should be called Mediocre Buy here.
wink_face.gif

I doubt the P7 will come down in price as the P5 is still the same price as when it came out I believe.

Dec 5, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #1,077 of 4,373

Best Best in Canada does not have as many headphones as in the US.:frowning2:  They should be called Mediocre Buy here.
wink_face.gif

I doubt the P7 will come down in price as the P5 is still the same price as when it came out I believe.

Actually the Best Buys here don't have the KEF M500 either, not even in their Magnolia stores, but you can order it online, and have it delivery to your house or your local Best Buy. Either way you can still return online orders to your local store, so it's less hassle than buying online. No restocking fees either unlike some online stores. This is all information on Best Buy in the US though.

Edit: Just checked the online catalog on bestbuy.ca and they don't even carry the M500 :/

Dec 5, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #1,078 of 4,373
Best Buy has to be ready to red flag me.  In the last 4-6 weeks:

Beats URBeats - Returned.  Just plain horrible.
B&W C5 - Returned - Tempted to buy again and try to fix a comfort issue.  They sounded great!
B&W P7 - Still have and plan to keep
Momentum On-ear - Returned.  Not up to snuff with the P7 to me.
Polk Nue Voe - Returned.  Too bright and just not my sound.  Helped me start to understand "my sound"

Honestly I think I'm forgetting one...  I need to hit the for sale or ebay and try to ditch the 3 I can't use now compared to the P7's.  I have Bose AE's, Senn HD428's and Senn HD380 pro.  Yup, I'm becoming an audiophile/headphone junkie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back