Comparison: UM3X versus ER4P
Oct 29, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #17 of 34
Well....I am having some buyers remorse here. Almost a reminder of why I got rid oe the ER4P in previous years. I was listening last night for about an hour and the treble was almost giving me a headache. I believe the main cause of this is the fact that I tend to listen at higher volumes than average. The articulation is too much. I need smoother and warmer...

I may try to put these up for sale before sending back.

Oct 29, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #19 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've had my ER4 for about 5 years and just upgraded to the UM3X about 3 weeks ago, so i've had a chance to A/B these two, as well. i think most of what you're saying is spot on.

the highs on the UM3X are a bit more recessed than the ER4P, and the imaging between the two is pretty close. the UM3X, however, i find to be better in every other way, with more detail, richness and impact in the mids and bass and an ever-so-slightly wider soundstage.

my favorite advantage of the UM3X over the ER4 is the texture. you can really feel the pluck of the strings and the sticks hitting the drums, whereas on the ER4 you only hear it. even with the ER4S amped, that tactility isn't quite there.

that, in addition to the better bass, makes the UM3X a more fun and engaging listen... groovy, if you will.

don't get me wrong, i LOVE my ER4, but i do feel i upgraded with the UM3X. worth the price? well, my ER4 were around $300 when i bought them, so i'd say yes.

Just got my UM3X this Monday and I agree with almost all you 2 say. However my balanced recabled ER4 out of my RPX-100 beats the UM3X in all aspects except perhaps still in weight of the sound (even when the UM3X is driven single ended from the RPX-100). Straight out of an iPhone the UM3X is the clear winner on all but treble extension/sparkle.

Oct 29, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #20 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got my UM3X this Monday and I agree with almost all you 2 say. However my balanced recabled ER4 out of my RPX-100 beats the UM3X in all aspects except perhaps still in weight of the sound (even when the UM3X is driven single ended from the RPX-100). Straight out of an iPhone the UM3X is the clear winner on all but treble extension/sparkle.

that would make sense. i wonder how a balanced UM3X would sound.

have you experimented with different tips for the UM3X? they make an uncannily dramatic difference in sound. i was just fooling around with the clear silicone Shure sleeves, and the treble was almost too much for me.

Oct 29, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well....I am having some buyers remorse here. Almost a reminder of why I got rid oe the ER4P in previous years. I was listening last night for about an hour and the treble was almost giving me a headache. I believe the main cause of this is the fact that I tend to listen at higher volumes than average. The articulation is too much. I need smoother and warmer...

I may try to put these up for sale before sending back.

What tips are you using?

Oct 29, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
have you experimented with different tips for the UM3X? they make an uncannily dramatic difference in sound. i was just fooling around with the clear silicone Shure sleeves, and the treble was almost too much for me.

I have tried black olives and the new black complies with wax filter. On my Ety I like the black complys best as they allow me to get a deeper insertion (think brain implant) but on the UM3X they can't hold a seal where as the olives hold excelent seal. Both are medium size.

Oct 29, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

Tri-flanges and foamies. Pretty much same result.

Have you tried the small foam (ER14A) with a deeper insertion?

Since I'm using the S version combined with the small foam and a Total AirHead I don't have this problem.

I do recall having this problem using the ER4P with the grey foamies and unamped though.
L3000.gif

Oct 29, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #25 of 34
(Posted on the "HF5 Appreciation" thread as well)

Does anyone have the ability to do an UN-AMPED comparison with ER4P, preferably with an Ipod product? (nc8000...did you mention "no difference" in another thread?).

I have owned both but not together. From memory I want to say that un-amped, HF2/5 are clearly superior.

Reason: HF5 is much smoother sounding and the treble is not as harsh. Transients are better too most likely due to 16 ohms versus 27 ohms of ER4P. These are both 2 big areas ER4P struggles with that seem to be "fixed" with HF5. Comments?

Oct 29, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #26 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have tried black olives and the new black complies with wax filter. On my Ety I like the black complys best as they allow me to get a deeper insertion (think brain implant) but on the UM3X they can't hold a seal where as the olives hold excelent seal. Both are medium size.

people tend to think if medium olive is good size then medium comply will do the same trick. but for me medium olive= large comply as comply is much softer so the pressure against the wall of ear is not enough to hold the seal. tried large comply or the stock p-tip if medium olive is just okay and not so tight in your ear

Oct 30, 2009 at 10:31 AM Post #27 of 34
Quote:

(Posted on the "HF5 Appreciation" thread as well)

Does anyone have the ability to do an UN-AMPED comparison with ER4P, preferably with an Ipod product? (nc8000...did you mention "no difference" in another thread?).

I have owned both but not together. From memory I want to say that un-amped, HF2/5 are clearly superior.

Reason: HF5 is much smoother sounding and the treble is not as harsh. Transients are better too most likely due to 16 ohms versus 27 ohms of ER4P. These are both 2 big areas ER4P struggles with that seem to be "fixed" with HF5. Comments?

Unamped out of my iPhone or Classic I find very little difference between the ER4P and HF2 so my chioce would still be the UM3X however I will continue to use the HF2 with the iPhone due to the mic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hsiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
people tend to think if medium olive is good size then medium comply will do the same trick. but for me medium olive= large comply as comply is much softer so the pressure against the wall of ear is not enough to hold the seal. tried large comply or the stock p-tip if medium olive is just okay and not so tight in your ear

Yes I will have to try the larger comply

Jan 8, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #28 of 34
I just read this thread and enjoyed it a lot. I'm thinking one of these two may be my next purchase. Do any of the original posters have anything to add over the last two months?
And, I've read other threads, but any comparisons between triple.fi, er4p and um3x for those who have all three?

Jan 8, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #30 of 34
I find tips on the Ety4p make a difference. Now i'm using them with iPod and MiniboxE+ which was designed around the Ety4p or s. That said, I've got dedicated amp and dedicated IEMs.

Was using satandard tri-flange tips then ordered Comply X series with built-in filters and simply loved them. All sonic ranges improved Then ordered new filters and with the order also got the new gray tips--forget their name but look like little mushrooms Again, a totally different sound signature came out.

Now none of these new signatures are disagreeable, just different.

Have had TripFis, Klipsch x10, Sleek SA6 and a few others. All gone. Now only Etys and soon-to-be - had Westone 3 paired with Mustang. I like pairing IEMs with a specific amp
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back