Comparison: UM3X versus ER4P
Mar 30, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #31 of 34
Nice quick review. Glad to know that I picked the UM3Xs (which arrived today I might add and I've literally kept them in my ears for... 4 hours straight now
biggrin.gif
)

Feb 27, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #32 of 34
I used to have UM3X and didn't like them. I thought they were too recessed in the treble and the bass sounded strange at times, almost as though it distorted or resonated a bit. The dynamic range was also unimpressive to my ears. I think Shure SE530 has much better dynamics. I own the ER4 P/S now and like it much more than the UM3X - the treble is more present, but not harsh or overpowering and the overall presentation seems more balanced and realistic. The bass on ER4 is tighter and more accurate than the UM3X low end, especially on the ER4S. The mids are fairly similar, but I find ER4 more accurate at timbre - UM3X is a bit too warm IMO. Also, the mids on ER4 are better integrated into the overall sound than on the UM3X. Separation may be better on UM3X overall, but ER4 is more coherent and has better separation of stereo channels. Dynamics are similar - not great, but sufficient. I feel that ER4 will grow better with higher quality amplification and sources. Speed is similar as is clarity. Imaging is sharper on ER4 and the soundstage is more representative of the source, whereas the UM3X is more 3D, but the space sounds simulated/artificial compared to ER4.

Feb 27, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #33 of 34
Interesting to note that you've just replied to a post that was written nearly a year ago (30th March 2010). So, I'm wondering whether you're searching all threads that have to do with your recently purchased Etymotic IEM - which you so much like - and bump said threads so that everyone takes notice of the Etys and/ or take the opportunity to express your disaffection for the UM3Xs. And while you're at it, why not mention, too, that you are the only person on Head-fi who found the $850 Westone ES3X customs "mediocre"?

There, just bumped the thread for you.

Feb 27, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #34 of 34
Quote:
Interesting to note that you've just replied to a post that was written nearly a year ago (30th March 2010). So, I'm wondering whether you're searching all threads that have to do with your recently purchased Etymotic IEM - which you so much like - and bump said threads so that everyone takes notice of the Etys and/ or take the opportunity to express your disaffection for the UM3Xs. And while you're at it ,why not mention, too, that you are the only person on Head-fi who found the $850 Westone ES3X customs "mediocre"?

There, just bumped the thread for you.

Oh yes, of course how could I forget?
biggrin.gif
ES3X is terribly overpriced. They are only a slight improvement over UM3X to my ears and I still prefer the ER4 P/S to them. For some reason, I also found ES3X even less coherent sounding than UM3X. I doubt that this was a fit issue, because I don't think that a bad fit should make an IEM sound more or less coherent. I suspect that it was a problem with driver matching. Maybe my ES3X was just defective, that is certainly possible. And even if it sounded perfectly coherent, there are other issues I had with it, such as lack of dynamic range, overly dry presentation, mids being too forward, not enough impact in the bass. I only found ES3X enjoyable with some light instrumental music.

What's wrong with bumping old threads BTW?
confused_face.gif
It's not like ER4 and UM3X are out of production now and I found Spyro's review to be excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back