COMPARISON / REVIEW (Part Deux) : A tale of two Sennheisers – HD600 vs HD650
Aug 24, 2016 at 7:21 AM Post #166 of 207
That depends on your preference :wink: .  Personally I think the HD600 is more realistic - especially with acoustic instruments. Its also cheaper (although I can't really fathom why).  I'd say go with the HD600.

Ya, I know, it depends on my preference.Humm! I realy dont know if I already know my preference !?! which of the two best reproduces female voice?
Accoustic guitar&piano.alternative, soft rock... Adele, Jennifer Warnes, Agnes Obel, Melody Gardot, Norah Jones, Sarah McLachlan, Deep Forest, Delerium, Depeche mode, Diana Krall, Diane Arkenstone, Keiko Matsui, Loreena McKennitt, Madeleine Peyroux, Eagles, CCR, Morcheeba, Mike Oldfield, Pink Floyd, Orbis Mundi, Enya, Sade, Shakira, Simon & Garfunkel, Supertramp, Susie Arioli Band, The Alan Parsons Project, The Moody Blues, Tracy Chapman, U2, Vangelis, Annie Lennox... to show only a fews of my modest repertoire !!!
Using with my new FiiO X3 DAP. You have also mention on your review, that confort, cable, and look, are better on the 650!

:wink:

Aug 24, 2016 at 7:48 AM Post #167 of 207
I prefer the HD600

For my tastes it is better for me with female vocals. I don't know how else I can state it.

And I actually stated that comfort was similar, looks depends on the individual, and I'd prefer the HD650 cable with an HD600 plug :wink:

Aug 24, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #168 of 207
I prefer the HD600

For my tastes it is better for me with female vocals. I don't know how else I can state it.

And I actually stated that comfort was similar, looks depends on the individual, and I'd prefer the HD650 cable with an HD600 plug
wink.gif

Just wanted to say thanks again Paul, your impressions were spot on. The HD600 was better for me and it sounds good for all my music, female music specially!

I am curious, how well does it pair with the enterprise? is that an OTL tube amp as well? The HD600 pairs remarkably well with the bottlehead amp, and I am really enjoying the combo.

Sep 23, 2016 at 7:28 AM Post #169 of 207
Hi everyone - my first post here! :)

Just got my HD600's in the post this morning, listening to them now (with a self built O2DAC), going through all the different styles i listen to, including live recordings and mastering work i have done or worked on myself.

Well I must say, i should have done my research before and bought a pair of these years ago!!

Loving the honesty of what i am hearing, they will be great for mastering.

I will enjoy just listening also because i come a music from a production point of view - sometimes i enjoy the quality of a production more than the song or genre!

The only problem i find is i will hear all the faults in second rate productions.

Loving the fit on my head - VERY nice and i think the build quality is excellent for the price.

Very happy new HD600 owner. :))

Oct 17, 2016 at 1:05 AM Post #170 of 207
I had the 600s and returned them when I got a hifiman 400s. Now based on this article I went ahead and got the 650s. I think I have an amp that will match with them. The Cayin c5 which should power them with enough milliwats. Though now I want to get the 600 back to compare the two :). Thanks headfi, thanks Paul. The search continues !

Nov 14, 2016 at 1:04 AM Post #173 of 207
  what year did they switch to the new drivers (silver vs black)?  Thanks

Seems to be around 2009-2010, although there are reports it happened as early as 2007

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:14 AM Post #175 of 207
Been a longtime lurker on headfi forum like 3-4 years. Decided to finally register and post here
My first headphone purchase was hd600 which was based on this detailed review comparison. After 7-8 months went by,I still wanna hear 650 and 600 subtle difference.
At this moment,650 is 40% off on amazon, might be a good time to grab it.  

Apr 11, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #177 of 207
I read the review and a few follow up posts, not every page.

The initial review was excellent and I linked to it from your T1 vs HD800 thread. I wanted to read it because I've been using the HD650 for a couple years now and just recently received a pair of T1s for a trial. My first impression of them was WOW, what amazing detail. And I gave a double wow when I swapped in my trusty 650s. I never thought they lacked detail until side by side comparison to the T1s.

The T1s are so good, and I'd say so much better than the 650s it isn't close. My problem is, even though I know the T1s are better, I can't say I prefer listening to music through them. I guess I gotta love this dilemma.

BTW, source is a 5th gen ipod loaded with AIFFS feeding a Bottlehead Crack or Nuforce HDP. 

Aug 9, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #178 of 207
I'm having the same problem as some of the posters here, which one to buy? I listen mostly to electronic music so I would probably go for the 650's.

But ... is there even a point in buying these if you're not using an amplifier? I'm currently using QC15's and they sound fine to me (since I don't have any experience with other headphones, more info can be found here).

Aug 27, 2017 at 3:30 AM Post #180 of 207
I'm having the same problem as some of the posters here, which one to buy? I listen mostly to electronic music so I would probably go for the 650's.

But ... is there even a point in buying these if you're not using an amplifier? I'm currently using QC15's and they sound fine to me (since I don't have any experience with other headphones, more info can be found here).

I listen to electronica, jazz, and combinations thereof. Daily driver is the DT1350.

Yesterday I auditioned the 600 and 650, fully expecting to buy the 650 based on its sound signature and my tastes. In the end I walked away with the 600 and it wasn't a close decision. I would strongly encourage you to try them first, as you may be surprised.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back