COMPARISON / REVIEW: A tale of two flagships (part deux) – Beyerdynamic T1 vs AKG K812
Dec 27, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #91 of 97
I have demoed these, they are very musical to me. Wouldn't pay their msrp but I would trade $800 of my dollars with AKG for a set.

Side note, think Sennheiser really pushed the headphone pricing boundary with the HD800. Now somehow it is acceptable to charge ~$1500 for headphones, to think one can buy 50 inch 4K LED tv or any majority consumer laptop for the same price, etc... All of which has more parts and require hand assembly as well. Yes I am slightly bitter about how much flagship headphones cost but guess Sennheiser clearly did their market research before coming up with that price.

Dec 30, 2014 at 4:40 AM Post #93 of 97
Think it comes down to it is just easier to produce less unites and make same profit for flagship headphones. Market has been desensitized to the current prices so this lack of better word lazier way of doing business. What I am talking about eg...

Case 1) Make 100x headphones sell $10 each = $1,000
Case 2) Make 10x headphones sell $100 each = $1,000

Going with case 2 also means they use less raw materials, manufacturing tools wear out slower, require less workers all results in saving more money aka more profit. Case 2 also builds on brand image, that high end "flag ship" to show off the brand.

Think audiophile hobby is pretty big already, testimony is this site and some others alike. Thus they probably thought... even if 1% of audiophiles are willing to spend $1500 on headphones. That is 5000 unites sold for them. (Just made up numbers but I am sure you get what I mean)

Dec 30, 2014 at 4:46 AM Post #94 of 97
  Think it comes down to it is just easier to produce less unites and make same profit for flagship headphones. Market has been desensitized to the current prices so this lack of better word lazier way of doing business. What I am talking about eg...

Case 1) Make 100x headphones sell $10 each = $1,000
Case 2) Make 10x headphones sell $100 each = $1,000

Going with case 2 also means they use less raw materials, manufacturing tools wear out slower, require less workers all results in saving more money aka more profit. Case 2 also builds on brand image, that high end "flag ship" to show off the brand.

Think audiophile hobby is pretty big already, testimony is this site and some others alike. Thus they probably thought... even if 1% of audiophiles are willing to spend $1500 on headphones. That is 5000 unites sold for them. (Just made up numbers but I am sure you get what I mean)

They would have also only spend just a little because they would only have to do marketing on the "audiophile" society, not the general public.

Dec 30, 2014 at 4:54 AM Post #95 of 97
  They would have also only spend just a little because they would only have to do marketing on the "audiophile" society, not the general public.

Agreed, forgot about marketing side of things. Marketing on HD800 should be much much less than something like the Beats studio. Forums like these are also free ads. Think last time you seen a K812 ad without purposely seeking for it...

May 9, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #96 of 97
I wish to know your opinion in the new 2nd gen t1. I actually think of buying it now, but hesitant from some of the comments I've read here on the site. After reading your topic here, I loved the t1 and thinking purchased but you were not talking about the second generation.So I would love to know if you have enjoyed the second-generation ones

May 9, 2016 at 6:39 PM Post #97 of 97
Sorry - haven't had the chance to try the T1 2nd yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back