COMPARISON / REVIEW: A tale of two flagships (part deux) – Beyerdynamic T1 vs AKG K812
Dec 5, 2014 at 5:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 97
Click individual images for larger 1200x800 image
INTRODUCTION
Anyone who has followed my comparisons this year will have noted how lucky I’ve been to have access to quite a few headphones – both owned by myself, and loaned by another wonderful NZ Head-Fier (62ohm) – who I’m incredibly indebted to.  So this year for me has been very much a journey of discovery.

I started back in January, when I wrote a comparison piece on the two Sennheisers I owned at the time (the HD600 and HD700) http://www.head-fi.org/t/725127/comparison-review-a-tale-of-two-sennheisers-hd600-vs-hd700, progressed to a comparison of the other two headphones I owned (Beyerdynamic’s DT880 and T1) http://www.head-fi.org/t/727739/comparison-review-beyerdynamic-s-siblings-the-classic-dt880-vs-the-flagship-t1., and culminated recently with my comparison of the HD600 and HD650 http://www.head-fi.org/t/740942/comparison-review-part-deux-a-tale-of-two-sennheisers-hd600-vs-hd650 - facilitated by the loan of 62ohm’s HD650.

Since then (and thanks to the incredible generosity of Rizki - 62ohm), I’ve had first his HD800 and then his AKG K812 with me for a week each.  My thoughts on the T1 vs HD800 were recorded here http://www.head-fi.org/t/742673/comparison-review-a-tale-of-two-flagships-t1-vs-hd800 (it includes a cameo review on the HD800 vs HD600), and today I will write my final thoughts on a comparison of the T1 (which I own), and the K812 which I’ve had a chance to spend quality time with this week.

So another step on my continued journey of discovery, to compare two more dynamic flagships, and find out if the AKG K812 could be in my long term plans – or if the wonderful T1 which I own will remain as my headphone of choice.

ABOUT ME (or a base-line for interpreting my thoughts and bias)

I'm a 47 year old music lover.  I don't say audiophile – I just love my music.  Over the last couple of years, I have slowly changed from cheaper listening set-ups to my current set-up.  I vary my listening from portable (Fiio X5, X1 and iPhone5S) to my desk-top's set-up (PC > coax > NFB-12 > LD MKIV > HP).  I also use a portable set-up at work – either X5 > HP, or PC > Beyer A200p > HP.  My main full sized headphones at the time of writing are the Beyer T1 and Sennheiser HD600.  Most of my portable listening is done with IEMs - and up till now it has mainly been with the Fidue A83 & A81, Dunu DN-1000 and Altone200. A full list of the gear I have owned (past and present is listed in my Head-Fi profile).

I have very eclectic music tastes listening to a variety from classical/opera and jazz, to grunge and general rock.   I listen to a lot of blues, jazz, folk music, classic rock, indie and alternative rock.  I am particularly fond of female vocals.  I generally tend toward cans that are relatively neutral/balanced, but I do have a fondness for clarity, and suspect I might have slight ‘treble-head’ preferences.  I am not treble sensitive (at all), and in the past have really enjoyed headphones like the K701, SR325i, and of course the T1 and DT880.

I have extensively tested myself (abx) and I find aac256 or higher completely transparent.  I do use exclusively redbook 16/44.1 if space is not an issue.  All of my music is legally purchased (mostly CD – the rest FLAC purchased on-line).

I tend to be sceptical about audiophile ‘claims’, don’t generally believe in burn-in, have never heard a difference with different cables, and would rather test myself blind on perceived differences.  I am not a ‘golden eared listener’.  I suffer from mild tinnitus, and at 47, my hearing is less than perfect.

This is a purely subjective review - my gear, my ears, and my experience.  Please take it all with a grain of salt - especially if it does not match your own experience.

I have used the T1 extensively over the past 6 months, but this is my first introduction to the K812, so please excuse the relatively short-term listening experiences with it.  I have clocked a lot of hours with the K812 in the last week.

REVIEW / COMPARISON RESOURCES

For the purposes of this review and comparison, I used both headphones mostly from my NFB-12 + LD MKIV.  Both headphones were volume level matched using an SPL meter and calibrated (twice) with a constant 3 kHz test tone.  This was rechecked periodically during the comparison.  I used the Little Dot mainly because it was easier to swap with the correct volume matching (more precise markings on the pot).  Tracks used were across a variety of genres – and most can be viewed in this list http://www.head-fi.org/a/brookos-test-tracks.

One further note on my audio set-up.  I know many will regard it as “budget” or “entry/mid level”.  I know many people with better gear will probably comment that both the T1 and AKG K812 could scale with higher end equipment.  They may be right.  But this is not the purpose of this comparison.  The purpose is to see how well the two headphones perform on my gear.  I genuinely like my NFB-12 and Little Dot.  They sound wonderful.  And both the T1 and AKG K812 shine on this modest set-up.

THE REVIEW/COMPARISON

PUBLISHED SPECIFICATIONS

Beyerdynamic T1
AKG K812
Nominal impedance
600 ohm
36 ohm
Weight (with cable)
525g
390g
Transducer
Dynamic (open)
Dynamic (open)
Ear coupling
Circumaural
Circumaural
Cable length
3 m
3 m
Termination
6.3mm stereo
6.3mm stereo – unscrews to 3.5mm
Frequency response
5 – 50,000 Hz
5 – 54000 Hz
SPL
102 dB (1mW / 500 Hz)
110 dB SPL/V
THD
<0.05% (1mW / 500 Hz)
Not supplied

FREQUENCY RESPONSE GRAPH

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=4303&graphID[]=2033&scale=25
Thanks to Headroom.

A note on the purpose of the graph.  It is not presented to validate any views I may have throughout the review, nor to give me a term of reference.  I always add these toward the end of the review – once my notes had been written, and then go back to reference the new material where it is warranted.  Or in other words, I use my ears first.

PACKAGING

Both the T1 and K812 come in solid cases, with a thin printed outer retail sleeve/box.

[size=12.8000001907349px][/size]
T1 front retail packaging
T1 rear retail packaging
K812 front retail packaging
K812 rear retail packaging

The T1 comes in an aluminium outer case which “screams” quality (to me anyway).  Inside is cut-out shaped foam.  Included with the box is an information card, and small Beyerdynamic booklet.  The K812 box is a reasonably solid black board, with a cut-out shaped foam inner which holds the included Omega type stand, which in turn firmly holds the AKG K812.

T1 aluminium case
T1 nestled in its case
K812 board case
K812 + stand nestled in its case

In this case it’s pretty hard to declare a winner on packaging – as the AKG K812 includes the Omega style stand – but if forced to choose, I still like the robustness and utility of the T1 aluminium case.

BUILD

Both headphones are built extremely well – with the T1 (IMO) looking more traditional/clean/no-frills compared to the K812’s very more stylish black and chrome modernistic minimal design.

The T1 has metal yokes, metal and plastic cups, round and quite soft velour ear-pads, and extremely soft leather over foam headband.  The drivers are angled to deliver sound slightly from the front of the cups toward the rear.  The main selling point of the T1 drivers is the “Tesla” (or very strong) magnets designed to produce more than a Tesla (or 10000 Gauss) of magnetic field. The result should be very good control over the drivers, and very clear sound.

T1 metal yoke and no frills quality build
T1 pads, inner cup and angled driver
[size=inherit][/size][size=12.8000001907349px][/size]
T1 very comfortable padded headband
T1 - extremely well put together

The cable is a 3 meter OFC dual channel type (Sommer SC-Peacock MKII) which is designed for two completely different channels – so could be split to a balanced connection very easily.  The standard cord is terminated in a Neutrik 6.3mm plug.  The cable is not removable – but would be one of the most heavy-duty cables I’ve ever encountered.  It is also quite pliable – and easy to coil.
The ear-pads measure (internal) approx 55mm across and are approx. 35mm deep from the bottom of the cup to the top of the pads.  I have no issues with my ears fitting inside the cups, and they’ve never touched the drivers.

The K812 also has a mix of metal and moulded plastic in its assembly, but the overall build seems (while not as robust as the T1) still well designed and put together.  The headband is a traditional AKG 2 band arch with a suspended headband pad underneath.  Instead of the typical leather for the pad, this time they’ve used a soft mesh pad and it really is very comfortable.  Another change from the K6/7 series is the headband adjustment. This time it’s changed through use of dented adjustment sliders rather than the self-adjusting bands on the cheaper models.  This is a good thing as there is less chance of this assembly wearing out over time.

K812 mix of plastic and metal - but solid and stylish build
K812 protein leather pads and deep cup
[size=12.8000001907349px][/size][size=inherit][/size]
K812 suspended mesh headband
K812 solid and strong build quality

The pads are round and larger internally compared to the T1.  The internal measurements are 70mm diameter at the lip (close to 90mm at the pad wall) and approximately the same 35mm from bottom of the driver protective mesh to the top of the earpads.  The earpads are a soft protein leather over memory foam and very comfortable.  They also have an interesting shape where the outer part of the earpad is larger than the internal – so there is more room for your ears inside.  They also have a large lip toward the bottom – with the words “sound sealing” embedded on the lip.  The idea is that this fits between your head and outer ear to provide a better seal – and it seems to work well thanks to the excellent pad adjustment system.  This is basically a 4 way rotating gimbal set-up (metal cardanic hinge), and simply by adjusting it on your head, it is very easy to get a nice seal, no matter what your head size or shape.

K812 (left) and T1 (right)
T1 (left) and K812 (right)
[size=inherit][/size][size=12.8000001907349px][/size]
T1 6.3mm plug (bottom) and K812 plug (top) - screw on adaptor over 3.5mm
T1 cable (right) and K812 cable (left)

The cable for me is the big let-down.  It is quite thin, and reminiscent of the cables on the K70x series.  It is replaceable – but uses a less common Lemo adaptor to connect to the headphone.  It is also rather unruly and tends to hold kinks if not coiled properly.  It terminates in a 6.3 mm plug – which if you undo the screw on outer – reveals a 3.5mm plug underneath (presumably for portable use).  For the cost of these headphones, it is the one area that screams to me “what were you thinking when you designed the cable”?

The driver is 53mm (the largest driver AKG produces) and uses a tesla magnet system.

The actual cup itself is very open, and reminds me a lot of a grado headphone for its earflow both in and out – virtually nil isolation either way.

Overall for straight build quality (robustness), the T1 wins easily – it’s built like a tank. But for aesthetics, I like the minimalist and stylish approach of the K812, and they’ve done some nice things with the ear pad adjustment and comfort of the headband.

FIT / COMFORT

The T1 is an extremely comfortable headphone – much like its forebears (DT880 / DT990).  The headband moulds nicely around my head, is very soft, and causes no pressure points.  The pads encircle my ears, and give me enough space so that my ears never touch the drivers.  The combination of velour and padding is very comfortable.  The earcups also swivel up and down, and there is enough movement left and right to ensure a good fit.

The K812 is also quite comfortable. I think a lot of this is due to the very even distribution (especially with the excellent pad adjustment), and the softness of the mesh headband pad.  Although it is lighter overall, the actual headphone feels marginally heavier than the T1 – but I think this is because a lot of the weight of the T1 is in the heavier cable.

Both very comfortable with T1 having more padding overall
T1 pads and cups (left) and K812 (right)

The only issue the K812 has is that with the leather pads, on a warm day (over time) they can have a slight heat build-up with skin contact.  But this is minimal, and not annoying to me in the time I’ve had them. The T1 pads are also softer (velour vs leather)

Both headphones are extremely comfortable – and I would find it difficult to pick an overall winner.

SONIC COMPARISONS

General frequency summary:

Both are relatively balanced overall – bass relative to mid-range, and again relative to treble – although both are what most would catagorise as having a brighter overall presentation (more emphasis in upper mid-range and lower treble).

After volume matching, and consistently track after track, I found the T1 (relative to the AKG K812) sounded slightly brighter, clearer, and more vivid.  The K812 did sound more balanced overall, with a slightly less vivid treble, and more impactful bass. Constant switching between the two makes the T1 appear the more vibrant and involved listen, whilst the K812 comparatively sound slightly more laid back.

Those who’ve read my comparisons in the past will know that female vocalists make up around 60% of my total music collection.  Both headphones coped magnificently with all of my female artists. The major difference between the two was that with the K812, vocals were balanced nicely with the entire track, and presented a little further back than with the T1.  With the T1, vocals were a lot more forward, and a lot more intimate.

One further note – the K812 has the tendency on a few tracks to become peaky, or rough in the upper end occasionally.  This did not happen often, but when it did, this was noticeable.  The T1 on the same tracks sounded smoother and more refined.  An example of this was the climactic last seconds of Pavarotti’s Nessun Dorma.  Both rendered the master’s vocals well – but the orchestra (the brass in particular) sounded more strident with the K812, whereas the T1 was as refined as usual. 

Soundstage / Imaging:

To test soundstage and imaging I used Amber Rubarth’s “Tundra” track from the album Tales of The 17th Ward.  The track is binaural – so it gives good queues anyway – but can be very good for a combination of imaging and soundstage width and depth. 

The biggest difference in the overall sound-staging to me, is that the K812 has a very holographic presentation, possibly enhanced by a longer decay with notes (the deep cup?), whilst also projecting a larger overall stage.  The T1 has a slightly smaller stage, but imaging does seem slightly clearer and cleaner – with better separation of instruments.  Both position very well, and with both the overall stage is circumaural rather than left/center/right (oval).  Both excel in creating an out of head experience, and a sense of space.

I’m reminded very much of my T1 vs HD800 review where the T1’s stage seems ever so slightly smaller and more precise – whilst the same track with the K812 appears just slightly larger, and a little more diffuse.

Switching to Loreena McKennitt’s “Dante’s Prayer” (with the T1’s back in place), and I’m at my usual spot in the audience – around row 3 or 4 back.  Loreena is center stage, and that beautiful cello is sitting slightly back and over to the right.  The K812 has me sitting a little further back, but imaging is  still accurate.  On this particular track, when the song ends, the applause has always been so natural and enveloping (with my HD600) that I can close my eyes, and for a moment I’m actually in the audience.  Both handle this well, but this time it is the T1 that is slightly better – perhaps it is just more vivid and involving?  It’s a magic moment though – and one that both flagships manage – with slightly different presentations.

Overall on imaging and sound stage – I’d give a nod to the K812 on size and perception of a holographic stage, the T1 on precision (for the imaging). It’s difficult to say which I prefer.  In the opening 3-4 days of putting the K812 through its paces, it was really wowing me with its holographic and enveloping presentation.  But in the last couple of days, I’ve grown to appreciate more (when A/Bing) the very precise and clean presentation from the T1.

Specific Genre Notes:

Rock / Classic Rock / Prog Rock – tracks tested included:
  1. “Away from the Sun” – 3 Doors Down
  2. “Art for Art’s Sake” – 10CC
  3. “The Diary of Jane” – Breaking Benjamin
  4. “Hotel California” – The Eagles
  5. “Sultans of Swing” – Dire Straits
  6. “Boulevard of Broken Dreams” – Green Day
  7. “Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town” – Pearl Jam
  8. “Immortality” – Seether (unplugged)
  9. “Money” – Pink Floyd
  10. “Trains” – Porcupine Tree

One of the biggest differences with the rock tracks I trialled was the presentation - vocals further back with the K812, and a lot more forward with the T1. The K812 was also more balanced between bass / mids / treble, with the T1 at times sounding almost V shaped in comparison. Bass volume overall sounds quite consistent, with the K812 perhaps having a touch more bass quantity and the T1 bass presentation being slightly faster and cleaner. Time and again I’m also finding the T1’s treble clearer and a little more refined. Both headphones have very good clarity though.    

Moving to faster tracks (Diary of Jane) and both headphones handle the speed change well, with very good definition maintained (no smearing).  But yet again, the T1 shows more agility with its very clean separation – even on a very busy track.

A staple for me, with any headphone I test or compare, is how they cope with Pearl Jam (I’m an unabashed PJ junkie).  Both headphones are very good – but also very different.  I like the K812’s slightly deeper presentation of Vedder’s vocals – but overall like the more vivid presentation from the T1.

Porcupine Tree is up next, and is a great band to test both headphones (because of the quality of the recording and mastering).  Trains is a fantastic track because of the transitions between guitar, vocal melody, and bass.  With both headphones, the track is extremely vibrant with a lot of contrast. Once again the T1 is more vivid – but with well recorded music like this, they both actually sound a lot more similar than different.

So for my preferences, overall it surprises me to say, that after my early impressions I actually prefer the T1 for my rock and alt rock tracks. This is a lot different to what I was expecting – as after the first few days with the K812 I was completely smitten. I could easily live with either headphone for this genre though.

Opera / Classical  - tracks tested included:
  1. “Nessun Dorma” – Pavarotti
  2. “Flower Duet (Lakme)” – Netrebko and Garanca
  3. “Moonlight Sonata 1st & 3rd” – Wilhelm Kempf
  4. “Op.8, No.1, R.269 "La Primavera" - 1. Allegro” – Anne Sophie Mutter & Trondheim Soloists (Vivaldi’s Four Seasons)
  5. “OP 35 1st Movement from Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto in D” – Julia Fischer

This time I started with Netrebko and Garanca and the K812.  It’s amazing how much of a sense of stage and space the AKG can portray when it’s in the recording! For me this was a beautiful performance on the K812 – smooth, harmonic, just wonderful. Restarting with the T1 and I can’t fault this either. But overall preference this time sits with the K812 – the sense of space and depth just makes this performance utterly captivating.

I mentioned Nessun Dorma earlier in the review, and this was definitely a track that the T1 handled better – but more because of the jangly finish from the K812 rather than superior overall performance by either headphone.

Moving to solo piano (Kempff), and it’s too close to call. Both capture the emotion, timbre, and passion.

Finally on to straight orchestral – and whilst both headphones excel (IMO) with classical – I’m actually finding myself once again preferring the vividness of the T1’s performance over the spaciousness of the K812.  My wish, if I could take the best of both headphones, would be the holographic stage of the K812, but with the refined cleanness of the T1.

I think overall for this genre – it will be very dependent on how you like your classical presented.  Both headphones are expansive – with the K812 giving that slightly larger and grander auditorium feeling. The T1 is more intimate – but it presents a clarity that is more refined, and I find that very addictive.

Jazz – tracks tested included:
  1. “So What” – Miles Davis
  2. “Gaucho” – Steely Dan
  3. “Safer” – Gabriella Cilmi
  4. “Love Me Like A Man” – Diana Krall
  5. “Ruins” – Portico Quartet

I started with Miles Davis, and then progressed to Portico Quartet.  Once again they are so similar – yet at the same time quite different.  The T1 is brighter, yet somehow smoother. The K812 is probably more tonally correct – yet there are times (eg the occasional high note from Davis) when it spikes. I do like the slightly more relaxed (or laid back) overall tonality of the K812 with jazz though, and coupled with the depth of stage, it’s a pretty nice listening experience for the most part.

Switching to female vocals (Krall and Cilmi), and once again too close to call. Both do the vocal presentation wonderfully – with a lovely sense of balance and tonality (slightly different but enjoyable nonetheless). 

Pop / Rap / Dub / Electronic / Indie – tracks tested included:
  1. “Turning Tables” – Adele
  2. “You Know I’m No Good” – Amy Winehouse
  3. “Lose Yourself” – Eminem
  4. “Aventine” – Agnes Obel
  5. “Electric Daisy Violin” – Lindsay Stirling
  6. “Little Man” – Little Dragon
  7. “Royals” – Lorde
  8. “Tui Dub” – Salmonella Dub
  9. “God Is Speaking” - The Flashbulb
  10. “Dawn to Flight” – Wildlight
  11. “Is There a Ghost” – Band of Horses

Once again with these genres, I’m getting a lot of similarities, but the same contrasts are showing. Bass on the T1 is quicker and cleaner, whilst the K812 tends to have slightly more decay, and just a little more impact. Obviously there is the overall difference in soundstage – the K812 being more expansive and holographic. And the one thing that is still amazing to me is that while the K812 can sometimes sound smoother, and more relaxed, it’s the T1 that always sounds cleaner and more articulate.

The T1 is definitely more energetic and vivid, and for my individual preference I find myself tending toward the T1’s presentation of female vocals – and this is particularly so with Agnes Obel’s “Aventine” and Wildlight’s “Dawn to Flight”.

One note here on a track that’s not in my test list but shows up one of the absolute strengths of the K812. Amanda Marshall’s track “Let It Rain” was recorded to have an almost holographic feel to it – or at least it always appeared so to me.  With the T1 it is captivating.  With the K812 it’s simply stunning. It’s just one of the WOW moments I’ve had with the AKG this week – and one of the reasons I’ve really enjoyed this headphone.

AMPING / SENSITIVITY

Using the T1 and K812 with my LD MKIV OTL tube, and both headphones were a little different at the same volume on the pot.  The HDK812 was approx. 5dB louder than the T1 (82dB vs 77dB respectively using the test tones).  Where the AKG excelled though, was its overall sound when driven from lower powered portable sources. I briefly tested it with my X5, my X1, and even my iPhone.  It sounded best on the X5, but the X1 and iPhone were both excellent (possibly missing just a little bass), and the amazing thing was the volume I could get out of the K812 on the iPhone at under 50% volume.  You could not do this with the T1!

K812 was great with both the X5 and X1 (more so with E11K attached)
K812 and X1+E11K - a really nice sonic match

CONCLUSION

When I first received the K812’s from Rizki a little over a week ago, I was absolutely smitten with them. Within 3 days, I was ready to sell both my HD600 and T1, and see if I could snag a pair. It was going to be my “end-game” headphone.

It’s only after the critical listening and level matched A/Bing that my thoughts have slowly changed in the last two-three days.

What I love about the K812 is its looks, build, comfort, soundstage presentation, holographic nature, tonality, and ability to be driven from a portable.

What I’m luke warm on is the crappy cable (I know I’d replace it with something that looks better), its tendency to be jangly or strident with occasional recordings, and most of all its price.  For its current RRP, I’d want perfection.  It comes close in so many areas – but in overall refinement, it misses the mark. Although I hate the word “musical” (as in it is a very “musical” headphone), I understand what the term is trying to portray – and this is one I would apply to the K812.

The T1 in contrast also has very good comfort and fit, exceptional build quality, good balance with excellent extension and a stunningly vivid overall presentation which is spacious, and images superbly.  The T1 has better overall contrast IMO, but is also slightly brighter – which some may find problematic (I don’t).

The T1 is also retailed quite often at under the 1K mark, and second hand you can pick one up for around 700-750 USD (sometimes even lower).

And this is where I just can’t reconcile the AKG K812 vs Beyerdynamic T1 comparison. For the perceived value attached to both headphones, the T1 absolutely demolishes the K812.

If the K812 ever comes down in price to a level close to where the T1 sits currently, I’ll be one of the first in line to buy it, as it has a very unique and captivating sonic presentation. But for now, I will return the K812 to Rizki, richer for having the experience – but also safe in the knowledge that the grass isn’t really greener (this time) on the other side of that fence.

And it’s made me appreciate my T1s a lot more 
smile.gif

As a final note – I’d like to thank my friend Rizki for the loan this week.  I am extremely fortunate to have had these opportunities this year.

Footnote 1 – I’ve been wearing the K812 for the last 20 minutes, and going over the review.  They sound great, and I went to click on Foobar to change albums, when I suddenly realised that I’d forgotten to unplug them from my iPhone. So for the last 4-5 tracks, I’ve actually been using them unamplified now that the critical A/B listening is over.  And that is one of the very big strengths of the K812 – and yet another reason I can eventually see myself buying them (when they get to a reasonable price level).

Footnote 2 – I commented above a couple of times regarding the occasional uneven (or jangly) treble. I should further qualify this by the fact that it wasn’t as noticeable until I was comparing with the T1. It is only then that the nature of its presentation became a lot clearer.

Footnote 3 – Assorted K812 images below. Posting them as I'm unlikely to do a straight K812 review for a while, and a few may be interested in some photos which weren't include above.

Dec 5, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #2 of 97
As usual, very nice write-up Paul - I agree with a lot of points you pointed out there. The K812, to me has the most 'correct' FR. FR-wise, it is, to me, better than the HD800. Then there's the holographic presentation - yes it is very captivating, but is it enough to warrant having both? Time will tell whether the K812 will stay or not... Though one thing for sure, I don't miss the HD650 and K812 the way I miss the HD800 when they're gone 
tongue.gif

And there's also the pleather pads... Yes they are comfortable, and I can sort of wear them for a long period of time. But after a while it gets really hot around the pleather pads, and I am forced to take them off to at least clean a little bit of sweat away.

The cable does not help as well. It looks cheap, which I suspect because it sort of is. For the MSRP AKG is asking for it, they should have given us better cables.. I'm not a cable believer, but if I'm paying over $1,000 for a headphone I would expect perfection, and IMO the T1 and HD800 does a better job in delivering perfection.

Dec 5, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #3 of 97
Thanks Rizki. Totally agree with you there as well - the K812 probably sounds the more natural (tonally) compared to both HD800 and T1. I just really wish they had the refinement right through the treble.  Then it would be a no-thought purchase for me.  If the price eventually comes down though - I think I'd definitely be buying.  That holographic presentation is quite captivating.

Are you still going to look at the LCD2?  If you do - I'd love to know if it's quite dark?  At some stage, I'd like to get to Auckland, and make an appointment to see Billy.  Not sure if they have demo units in store - but the Audeze and Hifiman range have always intrigued me .....

Dec 5, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #4 of 97
  Thanks Rizki. Totally agree with you there as well - the K812 probably sounds the more natural (tonally) compared to both HD800 and T1. I just really wish they had the refinement right through the treble.  Then it would be a no-thought purchase for me.  If the price eventually comes down though - I think I'd definitely be buying.  That holographic presentation is quite captivating.

Are you still going to look at the LCD2?  If you do - I'd love to know if it's quite dark?  At some stage, I'd like to get to Auckland, and make an appointment to see Billy.  Not sure if they have demo units in store - but the Audeze and Hifiman range have always intrigued me .....

I've just went there last Wednesday, trying to lure a friend of mine to buy an HE-500. They have the LCD-X, LCD-XC and LCD-3 for demo there, but if I remember it correctly no LCD-2.

Though I'm not sure I would want to trade the K812 for an LCD-2 now, as when I tried the Audeze range again there in Computer Lounge I felt certain I would not be able to wear them for a long period of time.. They are just too heavy for me.

Dec 5, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #5 of 97
I'd heard that (about the weight).  Is Billy getting an HE-560 eventually?  What do you think of the HE-500?  That was originally going to be the direction I was taking, before I branched out into HD700, then T1.

Dec 5, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #6 of 97
  I'd heard that (about the weight).  Is Billy getting an HE-560 eventually?  What do you think of the HE-500?  That was originally going to be the direction I was taking, before I branched out into HD700, then T1.

Not sure if I can give out detailed impressions, but from a brief 2-3 times audition it sounded a bit similar to the HD600 to me. If I had to choose which one I think sounds better, it would be the HE-500. But if I had to choose which one to live with, it would be the HD600 (the HE-500's earcups felt a bit weird to me, and left some gaps between the leather and my skin, which to me makes it felt weird.

Though when I brought a friend of mine there, he said he wasn't bothered by the comfort factor. When I told him the price of it, he was tempted to get it. But when I told him he would need further expense for amplification, he changed his mind 
tongue.gif

Dec 5, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #7 of 97
smile.gif
 - yeah that HD600 comfort is pretty darn hard to beat when you get the extenders stretched to the right distance.

Thanks - I'll have to hear the HE-500 at some stage.

Getting back to the T1 vs K812 - if you need to borrow the T1 (in case you're still on the fence deciding to keep the AKG or not), let me know and you can have it for as long as you need.  

Dec 5, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #8 of 97

smile.gif
 - yeah that HD600 comfort is pretty darn hard to beat when you get the extenders stretched to the right distance.

Thanks - I'll have to hear the HE-500 at some stage.

Getting back to the T1 vs K812 - if you need to borrow the T1 (in case you're still on the fence deciding to keep the AKG or not), let me know and you can have it for as long as you need.  

Thanks for that Paul, I'd love to listen to the T1 again probably next year when I got back here. It would be a golden chance to get all three successors of the 'classic trio' together and compare them all at once.

Dec 6, 2014 at 5:36 AM Post #9 of 97
Really informative comparison review!

I've personally not heard either though have read one member preferring the AKG K812 sound over the HD800 (which I own and love) which intrigued me to want to hear it for myself now, but I guess sound is subjective to each of us individually.

Just going off the aesthetics alone off the photos of the T1 and 812, I think the 812 looks way cooler than the T1 :)

Dec 6, 2014 at 6:46 AM Post #10 of 97
Yep - it's definitely got the modern and minimalistic "metro" look - whereas the T1 is more industrial and simple.  Both worthy flagships though.  I really liked the HD800 when I borrowed Rizki's - but I think I need to hear it on better upstream gear.  On my own so far, I prefer the T1 over both HD800 and K812 - but only marginally.

I think the thing that is most captivating about the K812 is the very holographic nature of the soundstage + the very good frequency balance (lows v mid v highs).  If it had a cleaner frequency response (mainly in the treble), it would be the dynamic to own IMO.  Sadly for me, that's where it lacked against both T1 and HD800. 

Dec 6, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #11 of 97

If T1's balanced and natural sound signature fits your aural requirements, as it fits mine as well, then you will find LCD2/ V1/V2 as unacceptably unnatural and 'dark'.
Yours is a pretty good summing up of T1 but I have to add a note - I could not find out what the output impedance [o.i.] of Little Dot MkIV is but considering that this amp accommodates headphones with 32 Ohm impedance this indicates that its output impedance is too low for T1. On amplifiers with low .o.i. T1 sounds a bit thinner. On an amp with the o. i. of at least 100 Ohm T1's voice deepens, there is more bass quantity. The tones also gain more weight. The amplifiers which Beyerdynamic makes for its 600 Ohm headphones have 100 Ohm impedance output. 
In your review you did not do impedance matching for T1.

Dec 6, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #12 of 97
  Yep - it's definitely got the modern and minimalistic "metro" look - whereas the T1 is more industrial and simple.  Both worthy flagships though.  I really liked the HD800 when I borrowed Rizki's - but I think I need to hear it on better upstream gear.  On my own so far, I prefer the T1 over both HD800 and K812 - but only marginally.

I think the thing that is most captivating about the K812 is the very holographic nature of the soundstage + the very good frequency balance (lows v mid v highs).  If it had a cleaner frequency response (mainly in the treble), it would be the dynamic to own IMO.  Sadly for me, that's where it lacked against both T1 and HD800. 

Good job on the review. The cable is one of the biggest letdowns of the K812, not sure what they were thinking, would of been nice if they put a higher quality and somewhat beefier cable on it. You may or may not be a cable believer, I believe in analog cables and I found when I heard the K812 with a better cable it helped with some of the treble refinement issues that crop up from time to time, system matching also helps, it has that classic AKG fickleness as I like to call it. I personally would get the K812 or T1 over the HD 800 due to preference, I'll likely end up with the T1 unless the price of the K812 gets closer to the T1 levels, I can get a new T1 for around $850 if I'm patient, may end up with one next year if that's still the case. The new dynamic trio are the cream of the crop in terms of dynamics, only the discontinued R10 was truly better to my ears than these three.

Dec 6, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #13 of 97
Thanks @Brooko for the informative and exhaustive writeup, also for the comparison photos. While to me some aspects are just the other way round (to me the T1 is a bit more relaxed), I see many of my own observations in your review as well.

Dec 6, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #14 of 97
Hahaha! Just the guy I wanted to get a K812 review from! Nice job.

Dec 6, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #15 of 97
Excellent review and comparison, thanks for the write-up and I liked your others too.  I have yet to hear the K812, but your conclusions support my expectations.  I'd love to compare it to the HD 800.  I have heard the T1 and HD 800, and I agree with most of your points in that comparison although the HD 800 is the one I preferred.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back