Comparison / Review: A tale of two flagships – T1 vs HD800
Nov 23, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #63 of 80
I ought to give the 812 a try, but from my experience, they all sound so similar. Fair enough, all the AKGs I have owned were in the 7xx family (K701, K702, Q701, K712), but I eventually cleared them all out as I am not a fan of their house sound.

Another brand where most of the headphones sound alike are Beyerdynamic. Had the 880 on loan and my own T1, couldn't hear much difference until I plugged it into some serious gear, however, the 880 and the T1 price difference isn't as great as tbe 712 and 812

I'd be interested in a 712 vs 812 comparison. :)

Nov 23, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #64 of 80
Best I can do is a T1 vs K812 I'm afraid.  Haven't heard the K712 - although like you I've owned the K701, K702, Q701 (and K612).

Dec 7, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #66 of 80
Oops - forgot to post back here.  I finished the T1 vs K812.

Linky - http://www.head-fi.org/t/745213/comparison-review-a-tale-of-two-flagships-part-deux-beyerdynamic-t1-vs-akg-k812

Feb 2, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #68 of 80
Thanks Don.  Both absolutely wonderful headphones.  Your upstream gear (and ultimate budget) might make the choice relatively easy. On my system I thought the T1 sounded better.  I've read a lot about the HD800 being picky with source and amp (synergy).  While I'm usually a pretty objective guy, I can understand this subjective mind-set. One of these days I'll get to a meet and hear the HD800 on a TOTL system then I'll know for sure.

The good thing about having the HD800 for a couple of weeks on my system, and comparing them side-by-side to the HD800, was that it has quelled my upgradeitis for a while.  I'd still like to have an HD800 eventually - but TBH if I was spending money on source + amp + HD800s to get better than what I have now, I'd probably just get a K812 (and sell both T1 and HD600).

Mar 23, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #69 of 80
Very informative, comprehensive and interesting review/comparison, @Brooko...and thanks for confirming the sagacity of my choosing the T1s over the 800s a while back when there was a massive price difference - before the arrival of the 800S!

I too first enjoyed the T1's superb performance with my LD MKIV SE - with adaptations to take the C3g'S' drivers and 6AS7G powers - and recognise all you said in your assessment of the Beyers. They eclipsed my HD650s, which themselves had scaled significantly with the modified tube set-up. And yes, even with the LD pushed to what I believe was another level - beyond the already amazing performance for its modest price - I understand your comments on how the Senns had the edge in certain areas.

I must admit however, things changed quite dramatically when paired with my Feliks-Audio Elise. The amp itself evened out some of the differences you mentioned, but more came from the different driver tubes (2) experimented with - from various 6SN7/7N7s, through the C3g; ECC31 (32/CV181 equiv.), FDD20 to my current EL3N. The last 3 especially have brought a good deal more of those qualities where you found the 800s to excel - without sacrificing the T1's incisive clarity. And with the added benefit of 'smoothing' out the treble sufficiently as to not require any modding of the HPs, which must surely be preferable IMHO....(the EL3Ns especially now help give me a nice combination of the Beyer and Senn's good points, with nothing obviously lacking - but as usual, given my set-up, ears and preferences of course!).

So much must depend on the oft-quoted 'system synergy' aspect - and is surely a bit of a nightmare for reviewers such as yourself, lol!! But thank Heavens for guys like you...

Edit.  ps...perhaps a certain amount of help also comes from my (now over-priced/rare) GEC/Osram CV2523/ A1834 power tubes...

Mar 23, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #70 of 80
Definitely a big believer in synergy - and it is amazing how sometimes minute tweaks can really change appreciation of a certain set-up. I have to admit I don't use the T1 as much as I used to and nowadays spend more time with my portable set-ups, or with the HD600.  I still have a hankering to own the HD800 one of these days - so will be interesting to see if my system has "changed again" in another 12-18 months :)

Sep 25, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #71 of 80
I have a T1 and HD600 combo, I am glad to know there are people out there like me :) I might get to HD800 and reduce the herd to just one flagship. Today I let two of my friends' audition T1, they only listened to Bose and Beats all their lives. One of them told me that the T1 has more respect than himself because it comes in an aluminum box and requires setting up ( I took my stuff to his place) so he was totally not interested in the sound for a weird reason of complexity. The other friend told me that it is a definite step up from Beats and Bose, so I am glad I still have my T1. It's a treasure for me. Enjoy yours.

Sep 25, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #72 of 80
Loved it when I had it - there are some things the T1 just does brilliantly (especially imaging). In the end, my son now pretty much has my HD600 most of the time, and I sold the T1 a while ago. My only open ehadphone (in regular use) is the HD800S. Totally worth the switch.

Jan 19, 2018 at 1:52 AM Post #73 of 80
So I finally sat down with a lengthy A/B comparison between the T1 (2nd gen) and HD 800. I came out more confused than going in...

I preferred the T1.2 over the HD 800 because it sounded very warm and natural and didn't have that annoying steely sound the HD 800 is famous for. Also the soundstage on the T1 was more realistic... A little farther than that and a certain echo starts killing the music, and HD 800 gets pretty close to that line, to me.

But one major thing was no contest... Comfort! By god, the HD 800 is comfortable! It takes feels-like-nothing-on-my-head to a whole new level. So I really wanted to like the 800 more than the T1 so that I could pick one up and put an end to this expensive hobby, returning to my huge classical music collection instead. The sad truth for me was that T1's DT-sized openings, although deep, weren't big enough for my ears to be entirely left alone, like they are in HD 800. So, I can't force myself to buy the T1 knowing comfort is a compromise.

My question to those who have the HD 800S. Does the S update really warm up the HD 800 and get rid of that cold, steely feel? If it sounds anything like the T1.2, I'd be all over it. The stores nearby aren't carrying the 800S, unfortunately, so I can't audition before buying. I have to rely on your impressions.

Jan 19, 2018 at 5:42 AM Post #74 of 80
Yes - it’s funny, I was quite happy hanging onto the HD600 and T1, although I knew eventually I might progress to an HD800. Then Sennheiser released the HD800S, and I got on a world tour. I reviewed them and within a month bought myself a pair. They are my end game, and yes they do have a little more warmth without being dark.

I haven’t heard the T1 v2, but I’d imagine the HD800S to have similar tonal changes. Definitely toned down the lower treble and increased the bass slightly.

Nov 19, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #75 of 80
Very informative, comprehensive and interesting review/comparison, @Brooko...and thanks for confirming the sagacity of my choosing the T1s over the 800s a while back when there was a massive price difference - before the arrival of the 800S!

I too first enjoyed the T1's superb performance with my LD MKIV SE - with adaptations to take the C3g'S' drivers and 6AS7G powers - and recognise all you said in your assessment of the Beyers. They eclipsed my HD650s, which themselves had scaled significantly with the modified tube set-up. And yes, even with the LD pushed to what I believe was another level - beyond the already amazing performance for its modest price - I understand your comments on how the Senns had the edge in certain areas.

I must admit however, things changed quite dramatically when paired with my Feliks-Audio Elise. The amp itself evened out some of the differences you mentioned, but more came from the different driver tubes (2) experimented with - from various 6SN7/7N7s, through the C3g; ECC31 (32/CV181 equiv.), FDD20 to my current EL3N. The last 3 especially have brought a good deal more of those qualities where you found the 800s to excel - without sacrificing the T1's incisive clarity. And with the added benefit of 'smoothing' out the treble sufficiently as to not require any modding of the HPs, which must surely be preferable IMHO....(the EL3Ns especially now help give me a nice combination of the Beyer and Senn's good points, with nothing obviously lacking - but as usual, given my set-up, ears and preferences of course!).

So much must depend on the oft-quoted 'system synergy' aspect - and is surely a bit of a nightmare for reviewers such as yourself, lol!! But thank Heavens for guys like you...

Edit. ps...perhaps a certain amount of help also comes from my (now over-priced/rare) GEC/Osram CV2523/ A1834 power tubes...

I own a T1 with a Little Dot MK IV with Siemens C3G and Sylvania 6SN7 tubes. Do you think upgrading to Feliks Elise is worth the price difference?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back