Comparison / Review: A tale of two flagships – T1 vs HD800
Nov 17, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #16 of 80
Very well written review, thanks. The extra part on the HD600 seemed to match, if indirectly, my comparison with the T90. I found the T90 to be more incisive and vivid than than the HD600. The bass goes lower and the background is also blacker.

Nov 17, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #17 of 80
  Great review!!! Nicely done Brooko!

Can I ask what the serial numbers of the T1 and HD800 in the review are?

Thanks.  The T1 is 11128, the HD800 is 257xx

Nov 17, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #18 of 80
  Very well written review, thanks. The extra part on the HD600 seemed to match, if indirectly, my comparison with the T90. I found the T90 to be more incisive and vivid than than the HD600. The bass goes lower and the background is also blacker.

Thanks.  Actually would really like to try 3 more headphones in Beyer's range - the T5, T70 and T90.  Hopefully at some stage I'll get a chance.

Nov 17, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #19 of 80
I personally find the T90, although impressive, to have higher treble peak than the DT880 & T1.

Nov 17, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #20 of 80
Great write up. I did one several years back (about 4 years ago I think?) and with the gear I had I preferred the T1s. Over the years, I've upgraded my amp/dac/source. As I did, the HD800s pulled out ahead. Long story short, the T1s have been sold off and the HD800s are still with me.

Very enjoyable read...thanks!

Nov 17, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #21 of 80
Great write up. I did one several years back (about 4 years ago I think?) and with the gear I had I preferred the T1s. Over the years, I've upgraded my amp/dac/source. As I did, the HD800s pulled out ahead. Long story short, the T1s have been sold off and the HD800s are still with me.

It was also a great read, like this one.

Nov 17, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #22 of 80

Thanks Peter - yes it is one of the things that does have me wondering (how they both sound on better gear).  Once the kids have flown the nest (still around 7-8 years away yet), hopefully I'll get the chance to find out :)

Nov 17, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #23 of 80

Thanks Peter - yes it is one of the things that does have me wondering (how they both sound on better gear).  Once the kids have flown the nest (still around 7-8 years away yet), hopefully I'll get the chance to find out :)

Darn kids....that's why I sold off my speakers 10 years ago and got into this hobby. 
redface.gif

Nov 17, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #24 of 80
Good news is that both kids have a real appreciation for music - and although they don't like a lot of mine, they are listening to more than straight pop.

I don't think Emma wants me to pack the HD800 up again tomorrow. She was listening to Florence & The Machine on them yesterday evening (+ a little Pearl Jam - my influence), and would have been quite happy to sit in Dad's chair for quite some time if I'd let her ......

Nov 17, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #25 of 80
  Good news is that both kids have a real appreciation for music - and although they don't like a lot of mine, they are listening to more than straight pop.

I don't think Emma wants me to pack the HD800 up again tomorrow. She was listening to Florence & The Machine on them yesterday evening (+ a little Pearl Jam - my influence), and would have been quite happy to sit in Dad's chair for quite some time if I'd let her ......

My kids go to bed at 8:30pm (they're only 10 and 6) and are NEVER allowed to go near my audio setup! 
tongue.gif

Hopefully I can find myself letting them use it as they grow older. 

Nov 17, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #27 of 80

Was it the GS-X that made you preferred the HD800? I would be interested to know how you think the K812 compares to the HD800.

Perhaps you should get one for her 
biggrin.gif

Nov 17, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #28 of 80
Perhaps you should get one for her :D  

Now you're just being evil :wink:

Emma would love it - Tania (Mum) may not see the funny side.

Nov 17, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #29 of 80
Your kids does seem to listen to a wide variety of music though, which I think is rare these days.

On another note, it is interesting to see you find the HD800 to be warmer as the last time I heard both the T1 and HD800 side-by-side was with the WA3, and with it I actually found the T1 to be warmer than the HD800 (the 8.5kHz treble peak didn't bother me).

Nov 18, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #30 of 80
Yet to get them to be in the same room if I'm listening to classical, or jazz.  They do like modern blues, and Emma seems to like most of my Indie artists. Both kids like a bit of classic rock and grunge - which is good.

On the T1 vs HD800 - I'm not sure if it's the Senn's comparative dip in the mid-range, maybe just giving slightly more emphasis to the bass?  Could also be that combined with the very slight sense of distance.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back