Comparison: Lehmann back cube linear, Earmax pro, X-Can V8p (with HD 650)
Feb 21, 2010 at 11:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

mironathetin

100+ Head-Fier
Recently, the german hifi magazine Audio published a comparison between the Grado GS 1000 and the Sennheiser HD 800. In a side note, they also wrote about the amps they used and rated them. The Musical Fidelity x-can V8p, that I own, was placed 3rd out of 4, while the Lehmann black cube linear won the competition hands down. Although this was not the reason why I started to check my amp choice, it contributed.

The real start of my investigation was a cheap investment that I did: I bought a filtered mains distribution unit. It improved the speaker sound a lot, but not the headphones via x-can. All of a sudden my headphones did not sound superior to my speakers any more.

So I grabbed some of my best sounding albums, my Sennheiser HD 650 and visited my favorite hifi dealer to audition the black cube linear with my own headphones. The black cube was fed by an accuphase cd player.

Lehmann black cube linear
-----------------------------
Well, as it has been stated elsewhere, the Lehmann reveals details that have not been heard before. For example Bruckner, Symphony no 4, 2nd movement (Celibidache and the Munich Philharmonic - absolutely gorgeous recording!). This is a slow and mostly quiet piece, but can you imagine to hear the musicians turn the pages of their sheets while the orchestra is playing? With the Lehmann you can. You also cannot avoid all details about the coughs of the asthmatic bavarian audience.
I quickly put in Dylan (Desire), AC/DC (Let there be rock) and Mozart (Cosi fan tutte, Concerto Cologne, Rene Jacobs, Veronique Gens). There is really not much to add to the existing reviews: all details are there, the dynamics is stunning, from deepest bass to highest screech, everything is there and absolutely unhidden.
But - I did not like it at all. Why? Because it does not sound natural. The Lehmann surely works perfect as a scrutinizing tool for sound engineers, as it puts a magnifying glass to all the details of the music. The sound ends in a perfect decomposition.
If you look closer to the reviews, you will indeed notice, that many are done by pro-magazines for sound engineers, as are the interviews (e.g. with Tacet). That makes a lot of sense to me.
For music lovers on the other hand, who want a piano to sound as a piano really sounds (replace piano with any other instrument including voices), the black cube linear does not fit. This was clear to me after 2 minutes of listening.

I also tried the HD 800 with the black cube. With them, the sound went a good step towards music again. Probably because the HD 800 moves the music farther away from the inside of your head to a larger external stage. I did not feel as close to the sound as with my HD 650. As a consequence, the level of scrutiny was less dominant. But still clearly audible and not nice.
Even with the HD 800, it was very clear that I listened to a piece of technical equipment instead of listening to music. Not my amp for sure.

Back home I tried to find an amp that was described as more natural sounding. Finally, the earmax-pro is standing side by side to my x-can v8. Since its arrival a week ago it is playing non-stop. I sneaked in from time to time and what I heard sounded really good.

Yesterday I spend a long friday evening comparing some of my favorite albums as played by the earmax and the x-can. The x-can has the nice feature of a line-out to which the earmax can be directly connected. I only had to plug and unplug the headphones. This allowed a very quick comparison ( ... and the immediate impression of the different build quality: while the headphone plug of the x-can is absolutely smooth and the plug literally glides into place, the notchy earmax connector seems to resist almost physically).

Earmax pro
--------------
I started with the same albums that I used for the Lehmann, but was carried away quickly and had to throw in also Hotel California (the guitar solo), Drive (REM, with the great moment, when the electrical guitar starts to play and completely changes the sound of the piece), more Dylan, Rumours (the great sounding remaster of Fleetwood Macs classic album) and Macbeth (Metropolitan Opera Orchestra, Leinsdorf, Leonie Rysanek, Leonard Warren - one of the examples that there is absolutely no excuse, if recordings from the 60s sound bad. This one is from 1959 and the sound is unbelievably good).

Now whats the impression? If you ask me to characterize the earmax, the terms that fly into my mind are deep bass, space and clarity.
Deep bass shows best in an orchestra. Listen again to Bruckner, when the contrabasses play, their sound seems to float through the orchestra. It goes so deep and even if the rest of the orchestra is playing loud, this deepest hum is always there and never drowned - wow!

The space is also always there. With the earmax you literally hear the size of the concert hall. At the end for example, when the conductor stops the music suddenly, the fading sound of the instruments gives a gorgeous impression of space.
Also on stage. I have a recording of Bellinis Norma with Maria Callas and Christa Ludwig singing a Duet. Its possible to feel the size of the stage. The earmax does not put you right onto it, but only a few steps away from the two singers. Its so easy to hear the power of Callas voice, every detail of the phrasing as well as all the weaknesses that are going to kill her voice eventually. I could still imagine to come closer, but perhaps not with a recording from 1964.
Space pairs with clarity. Most instruments are well separated and with a little self-contemplation it is possible to listen to each instrument (or instrumental group) separately. Dylan for example. In Desire the earmax lets you hear the plec hitting the strings of Dylans acoustic guitar.

This sounds like the scrutiny that I have described for the Lehmann, but it is different. As opposed to the Lehmann, the earmax sounds very, very natural!

And the comparison to the x-can V8?
---------------------------------
The main thing to write is this: everything that has been said for the sound of the earmax is also true for the x-can. I have repeatedly listened to both amps, switching the headphones back and forth. Every detail that can be heard from the earmax, is also there in the x-can.

The real differences between them are very subtle: Neil Young, After the Goldrush. When I concentrated on the voice to find out differences while the plug was fed by the earmax, I noticed a very, very deep and silent bass in the background. Switching to the x-can, I also immediately noticed the bass with all its details, but in the earmax its presence showed even if I did not try to hear it.
And this is indeed the main difference. The deepest bass is always there when the earmax plays, even at low volumes. With the x-can I nearly never consciously noticed the contrabasses play, whereas the earmax presents the complete picture.
In the concert hall it is more like this. The basses are clear and loud, they usually can be felt physically with the whole body as a receptor. A headphone can of course never submit this feeling, but with the earmaxes sound its easier to imagine how the real thing would be.

The gentler bass lets the x-can sound a bit more lightweight and elegant. But I think this is not a quality. Its because something is missing.
To get more of the deep bass from the x-can, moderate or even loud listening levels are required. If you like that, I don't.

I have done all my earmax/x-can comparisons with my HD 650 (thats all I have). For my iPod I also use Sennheiser ie7. Just for fun, I plugged them into the two amps. The result: with the x-can I hear a hiss, with the earmax a hum. This is because of the low impedance of only 16 Ohm. The hum is clearly worse than hiss, but both amps are not made for phones with such a low impedance.
Of interest may be also to note how loud the amps drive the HD 650: With the x-can I can hardly go beyond 12 o clock (starting at 7, maximum is 5). Comfortable listening level is 9 o clock.
The earmax on the other hand has less power. I can stand full volume for a second. From 7 to 5, comfortable listening volume is around 11. But I must clearly say, If - with the HD 650 - the earmax should not be loud enough for someone, he or she clearly needs medical assistance.

Look and feel:
------------------
I wrote little about the look and feel of the two amps. The earmax is made of black plastic, a chromium plated tube protection and also chromium jacks and volume adjustment. The gold plated plug of the Sennheiser has been scratched by the earmaxes connector during this test session due to repeated in- and out. In many months before, going from the x-can to my computer and back, this has not happened.
Side by side to the x-can the earmax looks a bit cheap. But because of its tiny size, its also a cute piece of electronic. Your wives/girlfriends will love it!

The x-can on the other hand is a very well constructed black metal box with an aluminum front, a small bright blue power diode and a big volume adjustment that turns easy and smooth. The earmaxes volume knob needs more effort but still feels pretty good and solid. All in all, the x-can looks like the higher developed instrument, while the earmax could have been put together in my neighbors garage. The best idea is not to put the earmax close to a piece of high end equipment.

Now what is the conclusion?
-----------------------------
I hope you apologize that I mainly used examples from classical music and opera to illustrate the sound. I also (and mostly) listen to Rock music, but I think classical sounds are much more demanding for an amp than Rock. A weak bass is easier to detect if the bass is not amplified and less powerful.
But Rock music also sounds slightly superior through the earmax. Attack, punch and especially the amount of air that the earmax pumps between the instruments is simply great
smily_headphones1.gif

But how to decide? As you might guess already, for me the Lehmann is no option. But looking at the earmax side by side to the x-can, a decision is tough. Sound wise, I would say, thumbs up for the earmax. But the x-can is close behind. For the looks and the craftsmanship its clearly the x-can. The earmax is no competition. For these two amps its not possible to get both.

My personal opinion is, for everyone who already owns an x-can, the sound improvements of the earmax are not worth a replacement. I would prefer to buy a high quality psu like the pinkie or the x-psu (I still run the x-can with the regular wall-wart power supply). The sound of the two amps is so close, the chances are high that the x-can paired with little pinkie is the better option.
Shame on Musical Fidelity that they don't offer an adequately priced single plug psu for the x-can.

Feb 22, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #2 of 25
nice review/comparison. Black Cube Linear indeed display so many details that it can be confusing at times. i find it very musical though without being euphonicly colored, it has great dynamics that always get me involved in listening and somehow it remains unfatiguing despite all the details.

Feb 22, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #3 of 25
Nice review. When you describe the details of the black Cube, I tend to think of listening to music like looking at art. Some inferior amps make the "art" look blurry, or off colour, or like you are standing so far away that you can't see any details. While other detailed amps make you feel like you are standing 3" away from the art, seeing every nuance and brush stroke, but unable to see the art in its entirety, the way it was meant to be seen. The ideal amp in my opinion is the one that makes you feel like you are seeing the "art" in focus, in colour, from a distance that allows full appreciation of the composition and detail. For me, the V8P does an excellent job of this also without being blurry or too analytical.

Feb 22, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #4 of 25
Thanks for the Review . I cannot say i agree or disagree its really a matter of taste. I have been listening to my BC for 2 years now and am more than happy with it . However I listen to alot of Fusion Jazz and electronica and will admit to being a detail freak. I find it analytical and extremely musical. If you get a chance take it home and spend a night or 2 with it. Also improves with a decent powercord.

bryston-lehmann-grado

Feb 22, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #5 of 25
MarkJnK, thats a great comparison.

I must admid that I never really listened to electronic music (except Pink Floyd, but maybe you rofl now). Good point: I could imagine the bc to shine with this kind of music.

I would have loved to take the bc home for an extended listening session, but my dealer did not allow that
confused_face.gif

May 3, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #6 of 25
Two weeks ago I received a little pinkie V3i for the X-can. In the meantime It has played for maybe 100 hours, the first 70 non-stop. It is time to check what has happened to the X-cans sound.

First it is worth to note that the sound is different now, but only slightly different. It helps to know what to listen for, in order to discover something.
The most obvious thing is the size of the virtual stage. It has become larger, more 3-dimensional as before. The sound of the instruments is more natural and somewhat richer than with the stock wall-psu.

I also wanted to find out what happened to the bass. Little has changed here. I hear very deep sounds now from the contrabasses (I am talking again about Bruckner 4) and the bass sound is slightly louder. There is an easy test with the x-can: just lower the volume. There is a point where the bass disappears completely. With the little pinkie I can go slightly lower in volume compared to the wall-psu, but only slightly. This means, at given volume level the deep bass is a little stronger. At comfortable listening level the sound spectrum is now more complete as before.
To make sure this is not a psycho-acoustic effect (you hear what you want to hear) I passed the headphones to my girlfriend and asked for her opinion (women have better ears
rolleyes.gif
). She confirmed without hesitation that there is an effect on the bass.

I have to compare to the earmax from memory (which is always bad), but I think it is safe to say that the earmax bass was clearly (still) stronger than the x-can, even with the little pinkie. With the earmax, deep bass was very present. This is still not the case with my x-can now.

Baseline: x-can is improved and it was ok to pay 120 Euro for this. The pinkie is a very well done psu and it also gives more options for valve replacement since it is more powerful than the MF psu.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be amused had I paid the 400 Euro for the MF x-psu and got not more improvement returned.
If you want to update your x-can, the little pinkie is what you want to buy, IMHO. Unless you have more than 3 x-components.

Another update after 6 weeks with the little Pinkie:
I just wanted to confirm: the effect on the soundstage and the airyness of the music is easy to hear. When I use the old wall psu, the music is clearly less 3-dimensional compared to the pinkie powered x-can. The bass enhancement on the other hand sounds psycho acoustic to me: I can still not clearly say that there is an improvement. Dynamics is perhaps a little better.
In general, with the right recordings, the x-can sounds great now. Wasn't bad before, but the update was well worth the few bucks.

May 3, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #7 of 25
I too received my Little Pinkie not too long ago and I have similar impressions. I also noticed the dynamic has been improved a bit.

May 3, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #8 of 25
Nice reviews! What tubes are you using in the X-can...........I noticed a difference when I took out the garbage 6922s and replace them with Amperex "SQ" 7308s, I also changed the power cord to the MF X-PSUv8.....These 3 HD amps each have their +'s and -'s and might even come down to your your source and Headphones.....I think they all shine for the $$$$....I just enjoy tubes.....Thanks for your reviews,mironathetin!!!

May 4, 2010 at 8:53 AM Post #9 of 25
Thanks a lot for reading!

Quote:

Originally Posted by pekingduck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I too received my Little Pinkie not too long ago and I have similar impressions. I also noticed the dynamic has been improved a bit.

Pekingduck, how does improved dynamics sound like?
I must admit that I never really understood what that means (well - finer resolution of volume). Could this probably be what I described as "richer" sound?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9pintube /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice reviews! What tubes are you using in the X-can...........I noticed a difference when I took out the garbage 6922s and replace them with Amperex "SQ" 7308s, I also changed the power cord to the MF X-PSUv8.....These 3 HD amps each have their +'s and -'s and might even come down to your your source and Headphones.....I think they all shine for the $$$$....I just enjoy tubes.....Thanks for your reviews,mironathetin!!!

I use the stock tubes, which most likely are not Jan Philips but these Golden Dragon chinese things. Does it help a lot to upgrade the tubes?

The x-can is still under warranty, so I hesitate to open it. Most likely I'll send it to Musical Fidelity for fine tuning and let them do it. After that I'll be free to open the case and still keep my warranty, unless they seal it.

As for the $$$$ (€€€€
biggrin.gif
), I think the hifi industry has become very good to bill lots of cash for tiny improvements.
At least its a lot of fun to have an amp with so many upgrade options. It helps to enjoy and listen to the music much more carefully.
I like that a lot.

May 4, 2010 at 9:37 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by mironathetin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks a lot for reading!

Pekingduck, how does improved dynamics sound like?
I must admit that I never really understood what that means (well - finer resolution of volume). Could this probably be what I described as "richer" sound?

By dynamic I mean the contrasts in volume
icon10.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/des...ossary-220770/

May 4, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #11 of 25
mironathetin, Why would you have to send your amp back to MF???? If it's working fine then just let the warranty run out (how long is a war. these days) You sure don't need them messin' with your HD amp......Talk or read some of the V8 post about taking "IT" apart later for a tube swap...... Yes the 7308 PQs or SQs are big bucks and make a big difference IMO,so just start looking on Audiogon or other places that some of the members have used. careful on e-bay......you have alot of time for tube and upgrades, just enjoy your amp stock for now... You can always PM me if you need some help...What do you have your V8 sitting on??? any isolation stuff????

May 4, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

...(how long is a war. these days) ...

3 years
atsmile.gif

Quote:

What do you have your V8 sitting on??? any isolation stuff???? ...

Yes, I have cut straps of sponge rubber and folded them for a test (that still lasts 6 months now). Works fine.
Anything to recommend?

May 6, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #13 of 25
Cool! If the Straps that you cut work then "rock on".......You can always find a nice butcher block bread board and put your sponge rubber "Thingies" under the board also,,,,,sounds like you got it goin'on!!!

May 6, 2010 at 12:36 PM Post #14 of 25
so  how are mids on the hd800, the dx1000 supposedly sacrifices mids for  the  effect of seperation, does the 800  reflect this at all slightly??  

good work on neil young.    for some reason 650 appeals to me more than 800 maybe cuz i think 650 is more closed no?  love to see some pics

cheerio

Users who are viewing this thread

Back