Comparison: Denon AH-D2000, AH-D5000, and Headphile "Darth Denon"
May 1, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #76 of 137
In my experience the D5000 and D2000 did not seem to have any weight difference. Do they actually? If so it's not perceptible in wearing them.

The D5000 *does* have a better cable than the D2000, however, in addition to the wood cups.

May 1, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #77 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my experience the D5000 and D2000 did not seem to have any weight difference. Do they actually? If so it's not perceptible in wearing them.

The D5000 *does* have a better cable than the D2000, however, in addition to the wood cups.

Thanks - did you notice any other physical differences between the two?

May 2, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #78 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I keep returning to the same mathematical dilemma: is the 5000 worth more than twice the purchase price of the 2000? There are obvious subtle differences, many of which make the 5000 superior, and I know Head fi thrives of subtle differences, but is the subtle worth $300?

I was in the same boat. I decided to order the D5000s, only to have an opportunity to get the D2000s in a trade a day after I ordered. I canceled the D5000 order (back ordered) and actually feel pretty good about it.

So far I like the sound of the D2000s, but its nice to know that I have options. If I like them as they are, I have saved myself $250. If I want an upgrade, I can choose whatever type of cable tweak I want, or I can send them to Larry for Darthing and choose the wood. If I find Denons are not for me, I can sell them off to a larger pool of buyers.

I guess when it comes down to it, purchasing the D2000 gets you a Denon for 60% of the price, with the option to upgrade them however you see fit (most likely close to or under the price of a D5000).

Anyway, thats how I reasoned it out
biggrin.gif

May 2, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #80 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are always variations between the drivers in a headphone, so it's going to be the luck of the draw.

Agreed. Thats where the tweaking begins with cable mods etc. I'm hoping when my D2000 arrives I will be satisfied enough with the sound not to be tempted to recable and upgrade right away. When does one finally say good enough, I have finally achieved the pinnacle of perfection?

NEVER!! Thats the beauty in all this madness I suppose....
evil_smiley.gif

May 2, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #81 of 137
looking at Headspace avatar - we know he will never put enough money together for a recabling
smily_headphones1.gif
those small bills - where else can they go?
I ordered d2000 so I can decide, after burn-in, if I like them enough to ask Larry to do his thing and turn them into Screened DarthDenon. ..........obviously, I'm guessing they'll probably excel as open cans, and there was such a lack of figure or grain in the Denon wood - that aspect of them didn't excite me.

May 2, 2007 at 6:49 PM Post #82 of 137
Well I too bought into the now official D2k FOTM and ordered from audiodiscounters @ $268 shipped ground from Ohio....

You make some excellent points BushGuy, if they seem to need it sonically, perhaps Larrys DD will be the eventual best way to go for my D2ks....

I really am searching for that nitch can in my line up before deciding which to keep.....Really, that has always been the plan
wink.gif

BTW, the retailer noted sold out of the D2ks within 3 hours this morning although they do still have D5ks in stock...All with $8.68 UPS ground shipping or $27 2 day air CONUS.....

I figure they must have recieved 10 each which showed up this morning on their web page....

Head-Fiers were all over that deal swiftly...lol

May 2, 2007 at 7:05 PM Post #83 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I too bought into the now official D2k FOTM and ordered from audiodiscounters @ $268 shipped ground from Ohio....

You make some excellent points BushGuy, if they seem to need it sonically, perhaps Larrys DD will be the eventual best way to go for my D2ks....

I really am searching for that nitch can in my line up before deciding which to keep.....Really, that has always been the plan
wink.gif

BTW, the retailer noted sold out of the D2ks within 3 hours this morning although they do still have D5ks in stock...All with $8.68 UPS ground shipping or $27 2 day air CONUS.....

I figure they must have recieved 10 each which showed up this morning on their web page....

Head-Fiers were all over that deal swiftly...lol

You mean audio-discounters with dash, right?
That's a hell of a deal, congratulations.

May 2, 2007 at 7:44 PM Post #84 of 137
Yeah Andrew, audio-discounters , with the dash...

Thanks for your help Andrew and Skylab too of course, the head to head comparissons really helped in the decission... As well as bizkid and all the other early adopters.

I really had bad first experiences with Senns , that I just can't seem to get out of my mind.... Whereas, I have great hopes these D2ks bring a bit of impact and punch to the lower registers, along with the same to an upfront leaning midrange which was, I think what the Senns seemed to veil for me...

You guys are such a bad influance, gosh dang enablers, so says Betty
wink.gif

BTW, the retailer mentioned sold out of all Denons reviewed , by early this afternoon... Maybe they only recieved 5 pair each.... Denon is trying to ramp up to fill the supply lines at least...

Oh well, the fun of the hunt too, I suppose...
biggrin.gif

May 2, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #86 of 137
ecclesand........and you've found them in-stock and comparable price - WHERE?

May 2, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #87 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ecclesand........and you've found them in-stock and comparable price - WHERE?

Per Audiocubes, they will be shipped 2-3 days after I placed my order. Day 3 is tomorrow, so it's still within the window they specified. The cans ship from Japan. This week is Golden Week in Japan which is a national holiday which has slowed shipping. The price at Audiocubes was $289...with shipping it came out to $305. I checked Price Japan and with shipping they were at $305 too.

May 3, 2007 at 6:08 AM Post #89 of 137
would the D2000 or D5000 be a good complement to my K1000? i had an LTD which was too hot to wear. on a hot day can you wear those and listen to music for hrs without cooking your ear?

May 3, 2007 at 6:12 AM Post #90 of 137
Be very careful with Audio-Discounters!

Check this out: http://www.resellerratings.com/store...io_Discounters

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah Andrew, audio-discounters , with the dash...

Thanks for your help Andrew and Skylab too of course, the head to head comparissons really helped in the decission... As well as bizkid and all the other early adopters.

I really had bad first experiences with Senns , that I just can't seem to get out of my mind.... Whereas, I have great hopes these D2ks bring a bit of impact and punch to the lower registers, along with the same to an upfront leaning midrange which was, I think what the Senns seemed to veil for me...

You guys are such a bad influance, gosh dang enablers, so says Betty
wink.gif

BTW, the retailer mentioned sold out of all Denons reviewed , by early this afternoon... Maybe they only recieved 5 pair each.... Denon is trying to ramp up to fill the supply lines at least...

Oh well, the fun of the hunt too, I suppose...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back