Comparison between Hifiman HE-400 & Beyerdynamic DT-990 250Ω (w/ pics)
Jan 11, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #16 of 32
Quote:
spittis said:
go_quote.gif

If you are searching for a pair of sweet all-around headphones and can afford the HE-400, I’d get them any day over the DT-990. I know all I have written above makes the DT-990 sound bad, but I’m simply comparing a good headphone against a better one. The HE-400 is easy to drive too, it plays loud enough straight out of my Nokia N8 cellphone, although the sound becomes slightly flatter, don’t know if it’s because of the missing amplifying or because of the DAC. I personally feel like I can stop looking for headphones for now.

Straight to the point conclusion. I will have to put more money in the bank for the HE400 but thanks :wink:

Jan 26, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #18 of 32
Quote:
Any chance you've tested these headphones with a source other than " Spotify Premium (320 kbps)."

Thanks for this great comparison though! 

Cheers

Hey, yes I did play some FLAC files too. It was irrelevant for the comparison though, they compared exactly the same way.

Jan 26, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #19 of 32
Hi,
How does it sound with black metal. Seen you played some harder music in your review. Mind Spotifying some Darkthrone ,Satyricon or Dimmu Borgir? Awaiting shipping of my HE-400, so just need a ok or not so ok statement 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 27, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #20 of 32
Quote:
Hi,
How does it sound with black metal. Seen you played some harder music in your review. Mind Spotifying some Darkthrone ,Satyricon or Dimmu Borgir? Awaiting shipping of my HE-400, so just need a ok or not so ok statement 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Black Metal is a curious genre. I personally got problems with it because lots of the music is badly produced, sometimes even on purpose, to get that "doomsday" vibe out of it. On good and accurate equipment it just sounds poor (in my opinion of course), even if the actual music is good.

I listen to Dimmu Borgir now and then because I like some of their albums, but their production is mediocre to be honest. Albums like In Sorte Diaboli and Death Cult Armageddon sound okay, but it's not exactly something I would evaluate someones gear with. I think you notice things like this especially well with headphones like the HE-400, because of the very high detail in the sound. You get used to it with well produced tracks and then when you listen to "low-fi" production it really makes you notice.

This boils down to personal taste, and if the bands you mentioned are among your favorites I don't think you will be disappointed in the headphones. Well made metal sounds awesome on it, it's just that I personally can't enjoy bands like Darkthrone because it sounds like I'm listening to someones basement recording through a low quality Youtube clip (no offense
redface.gif
). I tried some Satyricon and that sounded pretty good actually.

If you want examples of what I think is well made metal that fits under black metal check out The Kovenant and Samael.

Jan 28, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

Black Metal is a curious genre. I personally got problems with it because lots of the music is badly produced, sometimes even on purpose, to get that "doomsday" vibe out of it. On good and accurate equipment it just sounds poor (in my opinion of course), even if the actual music is good.

I listen to Dimmu Borgir now and then because I like some of their albums, but their production is mediocre to be honest. Albums like In Sorte Diaboli and Death Cult Armageddon sound okay, but it's not exactly something I would evaluate someones gear with. I think you notice things like this especially well with headphones like the HE-400, because of the very high detail in the sound. You get used to it with well produced tracks and then when you listen to "low-fi" production it really makes you notice.

This boils down to personal taste, and if the bands you mentioned are among your favorites I don't think you will be disappointed in the headphones. Well made metal sounds awesome on it, it's just that I personally can't enjoy bands like Darkthrone because it sounds like I'm listening to someones basement recording through a low quality Youtube clip (no offense
redface.gif
). I tried some Satyricon and that sounded pretty good actually.

If you want examples of what I think is well made metal that fits under black metal check out The Kovenant and Samael.

Yeah Darkthrone records in a basement so no arguing there :p Satyricon and Dimmu Borgir got better recording facilities so should sound better. I am aware of the low-fi in that genre. Just wanted to know if it really was to honest sounding or if it was ok to listen to it. Otherwise I will switch headphones if the bad recordings hurt my ears. :) Not to sell just use other headphones that I got.
So I take it as I will have to listen to it myself and judge from there. Probably wont change phones anyway but could be an idea if headache turns up. :D

Feb 3, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #24 of 32
I love the sound of both (HE400 in the lead IMO). Comfort is going to win every time for me. So I recently sent my HE400 back and bought a new pair of DT990 600s. I know some people would say it is a step back but for me I need to be able to wear them for hours at a time. The HE400 is just to heavy to do that.

Feb 3, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #25 of 32
I love the sound of both (HE400 in the lead IMO). Comfort is going to win every time for me. So I recently sent my HE400 back and bought a new pair of DT990 600s. I know some people would say it is a step back but for me I need to be able to wear them for hours at a time. The HE400 is just to heavy to do that.

How big is your noggin?

Feb 3, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

The HE-400 took some time to get used to but nowadays I can wear them for hours without feeling any discomfort at all. The DT990 actually caused slight discomfort after long periods of use. But this is of course a very personal thing. I think I have a smaller than average head.

Feb 3, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

How big is your noggin?

Grabbed the wire from my iems and a tape measure, 24.5 inchs. It wasn't the side clamp though, it was the top centre of my skull. Plus I wasn't a fan of the velours, but again a lot of people love them. Sound was better IMO with the velours that is why forced myself to use them. Again different head shapes.

Feb 4, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #30 of 32
The stock headband for my personal use was awful. It is very plyable though strong as hell. Again there are people in the HE400 thread that don't have a single issue with it. I am just one opinion of many.
The sound difference between the two was the soundstage and sense of air in then music. Niether sounded awful. It was all about the slight difference in the soundstage for myself. I never honestly spent enough time with it to analyze mids treble bass. You would have to read the he400 thread for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back