*Comparison and Review* Magni/Modi vs O2/ODAC
Feb 7, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #301 of 452
Quote:

Yes, JDS' ODAC with RCA jacks comes in the bigger case.

The O2 was designed (at least in part) to be a simple, inexpensive project for electronic hobbyists. One of the trade-offs between functionality and price is the lack of room on the O2's circuit board for a 1/4" jack. The O2's designer discusses this on his blog along with instructions for the mods needed for the bigger jack. But, linking to it from this forum is against the rules.

Thank You very much for Your explanations. So, the O2 design does not 'prohibit' the 1/4" circuitry.
I'm sure that the 1/4" jack does not 'outstretch' the O2 capabilities and does not  affect negatively the sound quality of the O2.

P.S.
I'm not a DIY'er nor and an engineer so I don't understand the (highly) technical stuff
pertaining amps, dacs, ...

Feb 7, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #302 of 452
Quote:

Not sure about ODAC itself since I was always interested in O2/ODAC units and have no experience with JDS labs... However, if you have a look at the Mayflower's website, you can find yourself what the seller offers... I would suggest to even contact him personally since he can provide you with many possible upgrades. I have heard good things about JDS as well so maybe you can contact them as well to get your answer(s).

I personally wanted to have a fully-desktop combo with RCA outputs from ODAC, 1/4 headphone out and still have an option to possibly compare different DACs through 1/8 input. Also, I wanted to use different gain settings and he helped me to achieve that as well. I've got several minor upgrades in addition so now I do not need ODA at all, honestly.

Thank You very much. I am going for the trasportable - portable version with the 1/4" jack.

Feb 7, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #303 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeJack_2008 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thank You very much for Your explanations. So, the O2 design does not 'prohibit' the 1/4" circuitry.
I'm sure that the 1/4" jack does not 'outstretch' the O2 capabilities and does not  affect negatively the sound quality of the O2.

P.S.
I'm not a DIY'er nor and an engineer so I don't understand the (highly) technical stuff
pertaining amps, dacs, ...

It's merely a matter of a lack space on the edge of the standard circuit board where the connectors live. I don't recall any comment from the O2's designer about any other issue -- but I might simply misremember.

Feb 9, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #304 of 452
Quote:

Very interesting post. So there are at least three well-known manufacuturers selling the O2/ODAC or O2 & ODAC combos.
What interests me is the 1/4" headphone out for my DT 880 (250 Ohm) cans.

By the way, what is difference between the longer version vs. regular (shorter) version of ODAC from JDS Labs? - Does the longer version have the RCA outputs?

I wonder why JDS Labs does not offer the 1/4" headphone jacks on the O2 amp???

Thanx.

Check the pictures and you'll see our logo on MayFlower's endplates (we supply Tyler). There's no room in the standard O2 case for 1/4in jacks, so you have to hand wire the jack in a larger case. While we have the capability, 1/4in jacks on the Objective2 are undesirable:
  1. Larger case looks awkward with 1/4" jack placed out of alignment from other jacks
  2. Higher assembly cost for hand wiring
  3. No performance benefit

We carry a $1.99 adapter instead--performance is identical:

ODAC variants are pictured and described on their item page:

Standard Output - Single 3.5mm output jack, as pictured. Silver or black endplates. 49mm case length for orders after July 27.

RCA Output - RCA output jacks at rear, 3.5mm output and USB jack at front. Black endplates. 95mm case length. Note: The ODAC supports only 1 output; do not use 3.5mm and RCA jacks simultaneously.

Feb 9, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #305 of 452
Quote:

Check the pictures and you'll see our logo on MayFlower's endplates (we supply Tyler). There's no room in the standard O2 case for 1/4in jacks, so you have to hand wire the jack in a larger case. While we have the capability, 1/4in jacks on the Objective2 are undesirable:
  1. Larger case looks awkward with 1/4" jack placed out of alignment from other jacks

Standard Output - Single 3.5mm output jack, as pictured. Silver or black endplates. 49mm case length for orders after July 27.

RCA Output - RCA output jacks at rear, 3.5mm output and USB jack at front. Black endplates. 95mm case length. Note: The ODAC supports only 1 output; do not use 3.5mm and RCA jacks simultaneously.

I've tried this and a lot of other adaptors... To be honest, I prefered Sennheiser's and Epiphany Acoustics' ones sonically over the rest (Sennheiser's being a bit muffled and Epiphany Acoustics' being a bit emphasised in treble but both VERY GOOD). I would very much like to say that all the adaptors sounded the same (in other words, that they do not affect the signal at al). However, this is not the case in my evidence. Unfortunately.

I now have two O2/ODAC combo units, one with 1/4 out and another with 1/8 out... I do not regret purchasing the fully-desktop version at all.

Also, have a look:

Do you think it looks bad? I love it! :)

By the way, I would like to thank you for all the great job and supplying you do!

Feb 9, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #306 of 452
Quote:
I would very much like to say that all the adaptors sounded the same (in other words, that they do not affect the signal at al). However, this is not the case in my evidence. Unfortunately.

I guess you meant 'my experience'.

Feb 11, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #307 of 452

Thank You very much for Your expert explanations. Now, I am almost sure that I'll go with the 1/8" jack and order the O2 and the ODAC from You (JDS Labs).

Feb 12, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #309 of 452
Quote:

There's that....then there's Project H:
Quote:
Thought I might share some results of the community project I've been working on for the past half-a-year
biggrin.gif

We call it [Project-H] and it's funded entirely by 9 Head-fiers. (See sig for details)

Panel Design

Assembled unit front

Assembled unit back

9 assembled units, 2 with custom laser engraving.

^ not available to us mortals unfortunately....

Feb 13, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #310 of 452
Good lord, that thread is already 3700+ pages long. Jelly level = Maximum. I would love to have my O2 combo in an enclosure like that. 

Apr 7, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #311 of 452
I just bought a pair of Pro 900's off Ebay and was wondering if the Magni+Modi would be a good match for them. It seems as if they would, as I have read that a bright to neutral amp works well with the Pro 900's and from what iv'e read so far that is the case with this Amp+DAC combo.

Apr 9, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #312 of 452
I just bought a pair of Pro 900's off Ebay and was wondering if the Magni+Modi would be a good match for them. It seems as if they would, as I have read that a bright to neutral amp works well with the Pro 900's and from what iv'e read so far that is the case with this Amp+DAC combo.

I cant comment too far on that because I only have the O2 combo at the moment, but the Pro 900 works great with my two Objectives. The Magni seems almost audibly identical to the O2 (but with more power output), so I wouldn't expect the Pro 900 and Magni combo to be bad at all.

That being said, I dont have direct experiences with the two being used together, but I'm sure it wont be bad by far.

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #313 of 452
Was looking at the o2+odac combo but if the Magni/modi does the job for that much less...would anyone recommend it as an upgrade over the udac2? I'm wearing the Audio Technica A700x. I'm basically looking for a greater soundstage and less muddy sounding bass.

Apr 18, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #314 of 452
Quote:
Was looking at the o2+odac combo but if the Magni/modi does the job for that much less...would anyone recommend it as an upgrade over the udac2? I'm wearing the Audio Technica A700x. I'm basically looking for a greater soundstage and less muddy sounding bass.

As far as I know from impressions, I would go for ODAC w/ RCA outputs over Modi... And maybe Magni along if you don't mind very high gain that can possibly cause problems (remember that ODAC is already outputting 2vrms).

O2 has VERY good soundstage and very clear bass... That said, Magni could maybe give you a more excitement since it appears to be a bit less neutral.

Well, to put it clear, I would choose this:
1) Desktop O2/ODAC combo (or separate) w/ RCA outputs, 1/4 headphone out and 1x + 2.5x gain configuration (possible to order from Mayflower electronics)
2) ODAC + Magni OR ODAC + ordinary O2 (up to you)
3) Modi + Magni

Apr 29, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #315 of 452
Quote:

As far as I know from impressions, I would go for ODAC w/ RCA outputs over Modi... And maybe Magni along if you don't mind very high gain that can possibly cause problems (remember that ODAC is already outputting 2vrms).

O2 has VERY good soundstage and very clear bass... That said, Magni could maybe give you a more excitement since it appears to be a bit less neutral.

Well, to put it clear, I would choose this:
1) Desktop O2/ODAC combo (or separate) w/ RCA outputs, 1/4 headphone out and 1x + 2.5x gain configuration (possible to order from Mayflower electronics)
2) ODAC + Magni OR ODAC + ordinary O2 (up to you)
3) Modi + Magni

I'm new here at head fi and have been roaming around the website for almost a month now.  I'm very interested in getting the AKG Q701s.  But anyhow, my main question is which pair goes better with the headphones I'm interested in? I've seen a lot of mixed opinions.  Would I really tell a difference on the Q701 with the Modi & Magni vs the O2/ODAC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back