*Comparison and Review* Magni/Modi vs O2/ODAC
Dec 27, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #64 of 452
O2 is now all black, looks super sleek, and you get free custom artwork on it too, so it can be unique :)

Would like to try the Schiit though, but am more than happy with the O2 and JDS Labs customer support is excellent! Best out there

Dec 27, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #65 of 452
The only way I'd consider the O2 is if the only thing on the front plate was the headphone jack, volume pot, and power button (though I don't mind a rear power switch). Inputs should ALWAYS be in the back. It looks hideous in the front. It may as well be turned around...volume pot aside.

Dec 27, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #67 of 452
http://www.head-fi.org/t/638453/jds-labs-o2-black-edition-amplifier-unboxing/15#post_8991265

Dec 27, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #68 of 452
Quote:
It may as well be turned around...volume pot aside.

I ALMOST did that when I set up my rig.

O2 is now all black, looks super sleek, and you get free custom artwork on it too, so it can be unique 

What? Where is this from?

If you order the O2 from JDS Labs, you can contact their support, or leave a message/note when you order that you want a black front plate. John of JDS Labs gave me the option but I opted out since I wanted the silver front to match the silver front of the ODAC.

Dec 28, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #69 of 452
Quote:

Nope. Just your normal 9-10 pm. I really thought it was the headphones falling apart (HD650), but it was the ODAC/O2 combo. I felt better when JDS Labs confirmed it was a known issue. For me, I felt the HD650 needs the dynamics of high gain; low gain is fine, and I was perfectly happy with low gain with the HD600. But if you use an Ipod line out as source, you don't have the issue becaues of output impedance of ODAC... or something like that. 

I wouldn't call it an issue. To put it simply, O2 amp is not designed to be used with 6.5x gain if dac with high output is connected. (ODAC has 2V output).
6.5x gain is for sources like ipod..

More technically, on AC with 2.5x gain max input is 2.8V. With 6.5x it's around 1.1V
On battery with 2.5x it's 1.8V and with 6.5x only 0.7V.

So with 6.5x gain you are overloading the input stage of O2, which translates to clipped sound.

Dec 28, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #71 of 452
Quote:
The only way I'd consider the O2 is if the only thing on the front plate was the headphone jack, volume pot, and power button (though I don't mind a rear power switch). Inputs should ALWAYS be in the back. It looks hideous in the front. It may as well be turned around...volume pot aside.

Build your own and the problem is non existent. It really is easy.

Dec 28, 2012 at 3:53 AM Post #73 of 452
Quote:
The Review

The two perform too close to each other to make any practical difference. 

LOL.  Love it!! 
biggrin.gif

Ahh...that was refreshing. 

Dec 29, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #75 of 452
O2 review: (some very nice pictures included)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/643435/review-jds-labs-o2-black-edition

Users who are viewing this thread

Back