*Comparison and Review* Magni/Modi vs O2/ODAC
Jan 4, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #82 of 452
If you DIY, the Objective combo can cost the same or a little less.  

Aside aesthetics and logistic choices, which I can't stress enough here, the Objective combo is slightly smoothed out and more even sounding with a tad, tad more extended bass, while the Schiit stack is a little more aggressive and solid sounding, with a tad more clarity up top.

These are minute differences, I'm talking like less than 3%.  3% is not something you should worry yourself over at this price point.  Get the combo that looks better or has features that most benefit you.

Jan 4, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #83 of 452
If you DIY, the Objective combo can cost the same or a little less.  

Aside aesthetics and logistic choices, which I can't stress enough here, the Objective combo is slightly smoothed out and more even sounding with a tad, tad more extended bass, while the Schiit stack is a little more aggressive and solid sounding, with a tad more clarity up top.

These are minute differences, I'm talking like less than 3%.  3% is not something you should worry yourself over at this price point.  Get the combo that looks better or has features that most benefit you.

+1

Jan 7, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #86 of 452
I liked the O2 because of the DIY factor....nothing better than soldering each component yourself 
biggrin.gif

Jan 7, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #87 of 452
Quote:
What would you recommend?

I recommend getting any neutral amp and EQing your headphones. It's a silly idea to me to find a dark, bright, or whatever headphone amp. That's a hardware change that costs money and might not mesh well with your other gear or future gear. Getting a clean neutral amp that can power most headphones will allow for you to get the sound you want through EQing.

Edit: I'm a fan of the O2 myself, but the Magni, or any other clean, neutral, and powerful amp would be my suggestion if you don't like the looks of the O2, which is the biggest flaw of it in my opinion. 

Jan 7, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #88 of 452
I'm doing a Magni + Odac combo, was this stupid?

It's slightly better sounding than the Modi/Magni combo. The ODAC is slightly more fleshed out and dimensional than the Modi. It's very hard to compare as it takes time to swap out the DACs, but I came in with expectations that they would sound identical, but the ODAC did sound better to me.

Jan 7, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #89 of 452
I agree, cosmetically the O2 has its worts for sure.....but the transparent aspect, its well thought out design and the DIY aspect make up for those for me....

Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back