*Comparison and Review* Magni/Modi vs O2/ODAC
Dec 23, 2012 at 5:01 AM Post #32 of 452
Upon hearing the Magni, they basically reminded me of everything I read about the O2, so I trust Raven's overwhelmingly lengthy comparison.

Raven, btw, the Magni's volume knob is definitely off center. Let me guess... more towards the bottom right? I'm gonna guess they are all like that. The only fix I see is Schiit placing the hole in the steel more to the lower right in their future Magnis. Doesn't bother me though, as it's only really noticeable if you view it at eye level. Who does that? Unless the Magni sits high on a desk.

edit: Hooking up both the ODAC and Modi to my SA-31 at the same time. Switch time between the two is around a second (letting the SA-31 heat up the fire up the signal after the input switch).

Then using both the DACs with the Magni. Switch takes a few seconds.

The DACs really are stupid close in SQ. I can detect just like a VERY slight hint more bottom end on the ODAC than the Modi. And I'm speaking like in the realm of a few percents.

Dec 23, 2012 at 8:52 AM Post #33 of 452
Quote:
Something about the stack and aesthetics that makes it more worthwhile to me. The ODAC is so discreet, and the O2 has a mess of cables in the front. I'd rather hide those away, while the Schiit stack is something I'm proud to have displayed.

I never even looked at the O2/ODAC for that reason..

I got the M&M stack for the opposite reason

Dec 23, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #34 of 452
For volume matching, I use two apps: Sound Meter, and Noise Meter on the Play Store. I place my phone between the drivers, and play pink noise. Was able to get basically the same decibel level on both programs, and both the Magni and SA-31. Not exactly the best tool, but I did this AFTER doing it by ear, and I was basically spot on with the app.

Listening to the differences on the Magni. The Modi is a little brighter than the ODAC. It's stupid to even put a number on it. The ODAC is just a teeny smidge more fleshed out, while the Modi is just a little sharper. You can tell in the bass as well. The HE-400 hits just a liiiiiiittle harder on the ODAC.

Is it enough to choose the ODAC over the Modi? Hmm... that's a tough call. Definitely not price-wise. I'd say the Modi is 99% the ODAC.

Believe it or not, I desperately want the Modi to be better than the ODAC, so I can put the ODAC for sale, but I can't lie. The ODAC is a very tiny footstep ahead.

If you're gonna get the Magni, just get the Modi. No reason to mismatch unless that price premium for that small micro percentage increase in body is worth it to you. The Schiit stack is definitely a fantastic combo for $200. If you're gonna nitpick over the details that the ODAC is worth it to you, then you should be looking at another amp anyways.

The difference really isn't enough to get a headache over. I'm sure the vast majority wouldn't even notice. Perhaps with the right headphone and super analytical listening, but who's gonna do that?

I enjoy the HE-400 off both the ODAC and Modi and both my amps.

In fact, I'll consider the SA-31+ODAC my warm setup, and my Magni+Modi my neutral one. :D

with flash, because I have horrible lighting in the room...

Don't let the image fool you. The SA-31 is 1.5x the width, and about 3x as deep as the Schiit stack. ODAC wedged in between them. :D

Dec 23, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #35 of 452
Quote:
Raven, btw, the Magni's volume knob is definitely off center. Let me guess... more towards the bottom right? I'm gonna guess they are all like that. The only fix I see is Schiit placing the hole in the steel more to the lower right in their future Magnis. Doesn't bother me though, as it's only really noticeable if you view it at eye level. Who does that? Unless the Magni sits high on a desk.

It's not jus that.  Mine is off centered to the lower right as well, but I don't really mind that.  Mine is actually off-skewed a bit. It doesn't jut out perfectly straight, it sags a bit towards the end, and leans left a bit as well.

Dec 23, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #36 of 452
Can you take some up close pics of it? If you don't mind. Mine looks fine, aside from it sitting on that bottom right corner.

Dec 23, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #37 of 452
I'm curious to see objective measurements.

Honestly at this point differentiating between different DACs is difficult (that's the impression I get). As for the amps, I'm guessing the Magni is very transparent like the O2.

Dec 23, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #38 of 452
Quote:
Can you take some up close pics of it? If you don't mind. Mine looks fine, aside from it sitting on that bottom right corner.

Sure thing.  Although I'm away from my camera, so I had to take a pic with my lowly 1mp iPod.  

Dec 23, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #39 of 452
Quote:

Sure thing.  Although I'm away from my camera, so I had to take a pic with my lowly 1mp iPod.  

Not everything is created equally. Some have are knobs that are perfectly straight, some have knobs that bend and are sad looking 
biggrin.gif

Dec 23, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #41 of 452
haahhaa~~~ short and concise~~ its actually what everyone was wondering~~~ hmm~ i was really hoping for the schiit stack to be better than the O2 combo~ but after contemplating, i think that schiit still looks better~~ gotta get that schiits~~

Dec 23, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #42 of 452
Haha nice lengthy review. Will definitely pick these up soon.

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
Dec 23, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #43 of 452
How would the Magni/Modi combo compare to something like the Audinst HUD MX1. I conviced a friend of mine to get a DAC/Amp after he tried mine out and he can't decide between those two options.

He's buying a Beyerdynamic DT880 to go along with them and he already has the HD595 and the ATH M50.

Dec 23, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #44 of 452
Quote:
How would the Magni/Modi combo compare to something like the Audinst HUD MX1. I conviced a friend of mine to get a DAC/Amp after he tried mine out and he can't decide between those two options.

He's buying a Beyerdynamic DT880 to go along with them and he already has the HD595 and the ATH M50.

That is what i'm wondering. Well I have the audinst, I just want to know whether the magni will do a better job than the built in amp of the audinst.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back