Companion IEM to ER-4P?
Sep 28, 2012 at 10:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Kl7Music

New Head-Fier
Dear guys, I need your advice this time as I bought ER4Pt over 8 months for music production and mixing purpose. I really like it's detail, clearity and mid-high freq but I really want more bass from there. Cos im producing Trance/House and when I mix on ER4P, the result is always lack in bass especially sub bass ommp. I know how to insert to my ears and when I listen to new age, world music and acoustic music it is ok in everything. But for Edm music, it's always lack something in layered synth bass, typically hear in Swedish House Mafia style bass...

So Im thinking to get another IEM for companion to ER4P, around 200$ price range (if necessary 300 is ok) and I need following,

- nearly ER4P details with more accurate and sub bass (but not over powered)
- comfort (I don't think my ER4P is comfort ime)
- also good for general listening ( I only use Er4P to mixing cos its too analytical)

My goal is that I will mixing with both ER4p and my new IEM (that you recommed) to get well balanced frequency without lacking bass! Btw, I already own HD650 but I prefer IEM type and so I rarely use it.

Thanks for your time and sorry for my English :)

Sep 28, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #2 of 21
Why don't you get something very different from the ER4P, like the Atrio (MG7)? It can be had for $100 on Atrio.me with the CostProg50% coupon code. While the ER4P trounces the Atrio on details, I personally find the Atrio flatter than the ER4P over the whole frequency range. The ER4P has better upper extension, while the Atrio has better lower extension. One uses a BA driver, the other a dynamic one. Using both will give you a broader perspective.

Sep 28, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #3 of 21
I haven't heard it, but a number of people here like the VSonic GR07 -- there is a newer version, usually labeled "MK 2/II".  Very detailed for a dynamic driver, but with the fullness and kick of a dynamic.

You can buy them from Amazon.com, or on eBay from sellers in Hong Kong.

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #5 of 21
So what are the options (disregarding the $200 budget limit) for an IEM that gives Ety's highs, mids, detail, and clarity....but also delivers some clean, subwoofer style bass? Is there even such a beast?

Sep 29, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:
So what are the options (disregarding the $200 budget limit) for an IEM that gives Ety's highs, mids, detail, and clarity....but also delivers some clean, subwoofer style bass? Is there even such a beast?

Not that I know of... I can think of a few under $1000 hahaha

Sep 29, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #7 of 21
How about a good amp with a bass boost feature such as the Minibox-E+(if you can find one). I'm sure there are plenty of other amps that have such a feature, but I'm not well versed in amps. You might want to consider EQ as well. Ety definitely has the potential to pump out massive amounts of bass.

Sep 29, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #8 of 21
@Sinocelt I just checked the Atrio and wow it has a lot of positive review abt it's bass. Thanks for the advice and I guess it's what I need in Er4p and Im gonnna learn abt it more. But I'd like to know it is comfortable? How abt mid? i have read that it has superb bass and high.

@Kmhaynes thanks mate. Actually I have never read abt it and now Im gonna check it through this forum.

Sep 29, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #9 of 21
The GR01, CK10, DBA-02 MKII, HF5 are better close match to ER4P in term of soundquality with more bass. Others IEMs like Sony EX1000, Denon AH-C400 are also great buy under this price range.

Sep 29, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #10 of 21
GR01 = most balanced dual armature out there. It really does sound perfect.

Sep 29, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:
@Sinocelt I just checked the Atrio and wow it has a lot of positive review abt it's bass. Thanks for the advice and I guess it's what I need in Er4p and Im gonnna learn abt it more. But I'd like to know it is comfortable? How abt mid? i have read that it has superb bass and high.

Fit is similar to the ER4's. Tips are compatible. The best tips I've found for the ER4 are the Atrio's!

I like the mids on the Atrio ... after burn-in. Before, they sound recessed. 

With the Atrio, I can't hear up to 16 kHz, while I can with the ER4.

Sep 29, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #12 of 21
I'm using an IE-8 from Sennheiser as an alternative for my Etymotic HF-3 for exactly that reason.
The Sennheisers offer more bass, have a bit more lively mids and get close to the detail and openess of the Etys in the HF.

Its a shame that the tips are not compatible though...

Sep 29, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

No None..there is no universal that will do that, trust me.

Custom JH16 (which I owned) describes what you want but it will set you back $1,200

Oct 1, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #14 of 21
Westone 4 would be a good choice... as well as ultimate ears UE900 will be great ( it has linear bass , so it s a no)  

Oct 1, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:
Dear guys, I need your advice this time as I bought ER4Pt over 8 months for music production and mixing purpose. I really like it's detail, clearity and mid-high freq but I really want more bass from there. Cos im producing Trance/House and when I mix on ER4P, the result is always lack in bass especially sub bass ommp. I know how to insert to my ears and when I listen to new age, world music and acoustic music it is ok in everything. But for Edm music, it's always lack something in layered synth bass, typically hear in Swedish House Mafia style bass...
So Im thinking to get another IEM for companion to ER4P, around 200$ price range (if necessary 300 is ok) and I need following,
- nearly ER4P details with more accurate and sub bass (but not over powered)
- comfort (I don't think my ER4P is comfort ime)
- also good for general listening ( I only use Er4P to mixing cos its too analytical)
My goal is that I will mixing with both ER4p and my new IEM (that you recommed) to get well balanced frequency without lacking bass! Btw, I already own HD650 but I prefer IEM type and so I rarely use it.
Thanks for your time and sorry for my English
smily_headphones1.gif

WESTONE 4 ..................................! 449$

Users who are viewing this thread

Back