Companies that take advantage of audio enthusiasts
Jul 12, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #61 of 181
Much better for the same use? Very doubtful - at least to me Hugo still sounds better and AK380 is definitely not "much better" than AK240. It is also treading into home system territory (as advertised by it) with the amp and CD ripper. When it goes there and people compare it with source and amp systems at that price range for example the McIntosh C50 preamplifier with internal DAC, it will be ripped apart. Think Bose and B&O. AK is now the same as those brands to me now. Nothing bad for them, and people can keep buying them - just not me. I'd spend money on true quality audio stuff, not the looks. Wait, I think a&k is more like Bose. Coz B&O at least has the looks - lol.

Jul 22, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #62 of 181
Wow,  this is totally NOT what I wou have expected from the name of this thread. Seems like it should be renamed as "The AK charges too much for their DAPs thread".

What I ws expecting was more like cutomer service nightmares, companies that don't reply to emails or don;t even give out a phone number, companies that take your oney and take 3-10 times longer to send you a product than their competitors...  you know, stuff like that.

Anybody got that kind of stuff to get off their chests?

Jul 22, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #63 of 181
Wow,  this is totally NOT what I wou have expected from the name of this thread. Seems like it should be renamed as "The AK charges too much for their DAPs thread".

What I ws expecting was more like cutomer service nightmares, companies that don't reply to emails or don;t even give out a phone number, companies that take your oney and take 3-10 times longer to send you a product than their competitors...  you know, stuff like that.

Ever heard of JH Audio?

Jul 22, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #64 of 181

Look up the threads here about Stefan AudioArt.

Jul 22, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #65 of 181
I am aware of both of those, but simply thought this would be a thread that was nondenomimational between brands/categories, etc....  I was more thinking about individuals portraying themselves as companies, or small companies that are totally understaffed/underfunded, and try to spin it as exclusivity by using words like 'bespoke' or 'custom made'.....

Jul 22, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #66 of 181
  I am aware of both of those, but simply thought this would be a thread that was nondenomimational between brands/categories, etc....  I was more thinking about individuals portraying themselves as companies, or small companies that are totally understaffed/underfunded, and try to spin it as exclusivity by using words like 'bespoke' or 'custom made'.....

SAA is sorta like that. But for the record, I have nothing against him. It's just that many had serious problems with his service (mainly waiting too long with no response) when they send in stuff to be modified. Then again, perhaps you are referring to low quality products being marketed as high quality. SAA is definitely not low quality, though many would say it's overpriced.

Jul 22, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #67 of 181
SAA was not a company I had in mind when i wrote py post.  Just FYI

Jul 22, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #68 of 181

Whoa. I just noticed "Member of the Trade: Music Direct" under your user name. I've been to your site many times and was considering buying certain things there in the future, such as vibration control and cables. (Only after I take care of more important things, though.)

SAA was not a company I had in mind when i wrote py post.  Just FYI

I mentioned them because they are notorious for the things you listed.

Jul 22, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #69 of 181

What I ws expecting was more like cutomer service nightmares, companies that don't reply to emails or don;t even give out a phone number,
companies that take your oney and take 3-10 times longer to send you a product than their competitors...  you know, stuff like that.

That sounds like a lot of complaints I've heard about AK...

Jul 22, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #70 of 181
Im out of my place here, but this tread seems just as good as any.

Most Head-fi ment for stationary listening is built in a weird way IMO. A single driver wil have a hard time doing a good job all the way from 20Hz to 20.000Hz, theres a reason we used split driver designs on normal speakers. Why not implement some sort of tweeter+woofer and active crossover system for a non portable rig? Sure it wil be bulky and also have twice the cables, but who cares right? To save space one could mount the tweeter in front of the woofer like KEF uses on many of their speakerdesigns.

Lack of innovation makes me think all companies take advantage of their costumers. Lack of detailed data on products makes me think all companies takes advantage of their costumers.

Jul 22, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #71 of 181
  Im out of my place here, but this tread seems just as good as any.

Most Head-fi ment for stationary listening is built in a weird way IMO. A single driver wil have a hard time doing a good job all the way from 20Hz to 20.000Hz, theres a reason we used split driver designs on normal speakers. Why not implement some sort of tweeter+woofer and active crossover system for a non portable rig? Sure it wil be bulky and also have twice the cables, but who cares right? To save space one could mount the tweeter in front of the woofer like KEF uses on many of their speakerdesigns.

Lack of innovation makes me think all companies take advantage of their costumers. Lack of detailed data on products makes me think all companies takes advantage of their costumers.

http://cdn.jvc.eu/szfxz/sz/index.html

biggrin.gif

Jul 22, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #73 of 181
  MOTHER OF ....!

Are they good?

Haven't heard 'em. (Ordered the JVC HA-SZ2000 once, but canceled my order due to it taking too long to ship from Japan. Will get it sooner or later.)

Impressions here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/661129/jvc-ha-sz2000-1000-impressions-thread
http://www.head-fi.org/products/jvc-kenwood-victer-stereo-headphones-ha-sz2000-japan-import
http://www.head-fi.org/t/716711/the-best-bass-headphones-are-the-extreme-bass-club
http://www.amazon.com/JVC-Kenwood-Victer-headphones-HA-SZ2000/product-reviews/B00CIQ7NXQ/

They're not exactly audiophile headphones. Most people who buy them boost the bass with EQ.

Jul 22, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #75 of 181
  I was just contemplating buying M50x's just for traveling, but i think i have to reconsider now that you presented me with these "funbags".

hehe. I'm not a fan of the M50x...but ironically, I've been using it for videos lately.

Oh, and that's another example, in my opinion, of companies taking advantage of audio enthusiasts: marketing a basshead headphone as a studio headphone.

M50x measurements:

(Just to give readers an idea of how much extra bass this is, planar magnetic headphones, which tend to have plenty of bass, follow the green line in the bass.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back