Companies that take advantage of audio enthusiasts
Aug 1, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #91 of 181
The thing to be considered in the classified section is geographic location, myself for example in the UK, the prices I pay are significantly more than in the US, so it ends up to those outside of the UK / EU looking like I'm asking too much (case in point, I was trying to sell a pair of SE846 with toxic cable, retail us$1500 at UK price, only had one nibble from a US member, seeing if I could sell shipped for us$400...)

Aug 1, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #92 of 181
The thing to be considered in the classified section is geographic location, myself for example in the UK, the prices I pay are significantly more than in the US, so it ends up to those outside of the UK / EU looking like I'm asking too much (case in point, I was trying to sell a pair of SE846 with toxic cable, retail us$1500 at UK price, only had one nibble from a US member, seeing if I could sell shipped for us$400...)

true enough.  I generally focus on US sellers, since I have no patience whatsoever, and always want express shipping (which is simply too expensive for international stuff).  I was referring to people who try stuff which they my not really be able to afford, just out of curiosity, then try to unload it for a tiny reduction vs. new.  

Aug 1, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #93 of 181
true enough.  I generally focus on US sellers, since I have no patience whatsoever, and always want express shipping (which is simply too expensive for international stuff).  I was referring to people who try stuff which they my not really be able to afford, just out of curiosity, then try to unload it for a tiny reduction vs. new.  
True enough also, so two points to consider :)

Aug 1, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #94 of 181
  The times when I end up thinking that things cost too much is in the classifieds, when I see a 4th owner asking for $5 below retail, and still wanting paypal fees and shipping costs added to the total, AND acting like that's a fair price.  

On the other side of the spectrum, I have lost so much money making sure to give good deals to people who get my gear...but it's worth it. In addition to being able to hear so much cool stuff (partially thanks to trades), I've gotten some amazing deals myself, especially from those I developed a trusting relationship with.

Aug 2, 2015 at 5:02 AM Post #95 of 181
"I wish things cost less,(I'm talking new stuff from retail vendors here),  but the best really does cost more, most of the time."

The best might be over 10x the price of something that is very good. The best might only be slightly better. Many are only concerned about what they will consider the best within a certain price range. For example, they might have a $100 to $300 target price range for a portable player, but would only consider spend around $300 if they consider it so much better than the $100 one. Production cost though might be very much related to economies of scale. So higher priced items might have to be priced so much higher, since when they are made in small numbers, just the design costs divided
by the small number of units will be very high. In addition the unit cost for the components will be so much higher when bought in small quantities.

How many will pay 10 times the price for something they perceive as being 20% better? Many would pay 20% more for something they perceive as 50% better, or perhaps even just 20% better.

Even if something is much better, it might be used in such a way that the higher quality sound doesn't matter much. For example, a music player to be used while exercising. For that use, durability, and low cost might be the most important factors. So if it is damaged or broken, it won't matter nearly as much.

Aug 2, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #96 of 181
"I wish things cost less,(I'm talking new stuff from retail vendors here),  but the best really does cost more, most of the time."

The best might be over 10x the price of something that is very good. The best might only be slightly better. Many are only concerned about what they will consider the best within a certain price range. For example, they might have a $100 to $300 target price range for a portable player, but would only consider spend around $300 if they consider it so much better than the $100 one. Production cost though might be very much related to economies of scale. So higher priced items might have to be priced so much higher, since when they are made in small numbers, just the design costs divided
by the small number of units will be very high. In addition the unit cost for the components will be so much higher when bought in small quantities.

How many will pay 10 times the price for something they perceive as being 20% better? Many would pay 20% more for something they perceive as 50% better, or perhaps even just 20% better.

Even if something is much better, it might be used in such a way that the higher quality sound doesn't matter much. For example, a music player to be used while exercising. For that use, durability, and low cost might be the most important factors. So if it is damaged or broken, it won't matter nearly as much.
Very true, and the reverse logic applies also, the amount of low end gear that is touted as (using head-fi circles, but could be transposed into any hobby) being 'hi-res capable' etc. - Personally, I see little point in that when the electronics behind it cannot make it shine - I would rather have higher grade inferior specced equipment (i.e. a CD transport and DAC rather than a DSD capable low end device) that provided more enjoyment...

An argument that will never be won...

Aug 2, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #97 of 181
More importantly, those are  arguments that should never even be 'fought'.  

Opinions and preferences simply are what they are.  Some are usefully expressed on Head-Fi (and other boards as well), e.g.," I'd never buy the XYZ because it does not accept ABC files."  This is useful in two ways-- 1.it informs people that that player won;t take those files, and 2. it allows people to explain how those files can be trans-coded, without loss (e.g.) to another file format that the player will accept.   win-win

What I am curious about is the kind of autobiographical comments like "I'd never spend $XX on a component of that category", without any further qualification.  My though is- "I don't like mustard."  SFW- why would I care about your view, or you mine?

none of the above is aimed at anyone in particular, just one old fart venting about stuff in general.

Aug 7, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #99 of 181
  I just want to see the expression on someone's face when after walking 5 blocks they suddenly remember they left their AK380 and Layla on the counter at a Starbucks!  

Something worse actually happened:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/773284/omg-i-lost-my-ak240ss-in-japan-shinjuku-bus-station

(If anyone thinks they can help him, please do so!)

Aug 7, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #100 of 181
  I just want to see the expression on someone's face when after walking 5 blocks they suddenly remember they left their AK380 and Layla on the counter at a Starbucks!  

Saw a vid about a 'smart' umbrella with bluetooth functionality. If the owner forgets it in a place, and the bluetooth link severs, its corresponding app on the phone gives a warning. 
It would be great if such a thing existed with our android DAPs.

Aug 7, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #101 of 181

Something worse actually happened:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/773284/omg-i-lost-my-ak240ss-in-japan-shinjuku-bus-station

(If anyone thinks they can help him, please do so!)

Oh crap.  Poor guy.
eek.gif

Aug 7, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #102 of 181
I realize I'm late to the thread, but I can't think of a single company. Why? Because I have a brain, an education, and I'm fully capable of making my own decisions.

This being said, I cannot comprehend the justification behind blaming a third party for personal mistakes. No one is holding a gun to a costumer's head forcing him to buy the product.

Aug 7, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #103 of 181
Hi there,
I just got off the phone with an old friend. I'm buying some MIT Cables Oracle ZIII power cords for my home system and wondered if you want to get in on a group buy with me. These are perfect for powering up Pulse LPS-- that's one of the places I'll be using Oracle ZIII.
http://www.mitcables.com/available-in-stores/power-products/oracle-ziii.html
Anyway, I don't want you to feel like I'm pressuring you or anything. Just thought I'd extend the invitation. If you're interested, please let me know by raising your virtual hand in this thread.  If I can get at least 10 other people to commit, I can get them for $699.50 each.
Take care,
Gavin

This is from mr Fish from LH. Cus I have nothing else to do with my $700.

Not too happy with these guys at the moment. IF there is a company that is taking advantage of enthusiasts. I wonder where these guys fall on the list.

Aug 7, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #104 of 181
Hi there,
I just got off the phone with an old friend. I'm buying some MIT Cables Oracle ZIII power cords for my home system and wondered if you want to get in on a group buy with me. These are perfect for powering up Pulse LPS-- that's one of the places I'll be using Oracle ZIII.
Anyway, I don't want you to feel like I'm pressuring you or anything. Just thought I'd extend the invitation. If you're interested, please let me know by raising your virtual hand in this thread.  If I can get at least 10 other people to commit, I can get them for $699.50 each.
Take care,
Gavin

Not too happy with these guys at the moment. IF there is a company that is taking advantage of enthusiasts. I wonder where these guys fall on the list.

Sorry, I don't understand the issue. You decided not to buy. Made your choice. End of story.

Aug 7, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #105 of 181
  Hi there,
Take care,
Gavin

This reminds me of the South Park episode about timeshares, which I saw for the first time last night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back