Comments for my PCM2702 DAC layout?
Nov 10, 2008 at 1:11 AM Post #196 of 613
Not that it helps much, Gross, but I'm in a similar boat - the BantamDAC I incorrectly installed the regulator cap on isn't recognized, even after replacing the cap and regulator. Like you, I've built several Alien DACs, and don't find the SMD stuff particularly difficult. I've gone over everything on that particular board twice, and have to believe that installing C16 in the "wrong" spot probably killed the DAC chip, but can't really say for sure. Just live and learn, I guess.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 10, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #197 of 613
Thanks for the words of encouragement. However, 1 hour later, and number 2 is working. I took all the through hole stuff off of the first board, but otherwise used all new SMD parts. Now that board 1 is mostly clean, I suppose I can attempt a heart transplant, just not today. So for those just tuning in, IF USING THE TPS REGULATORS, PUT C16 ON SPOT R8. I don't know 100% if it causes the problem, but it sure does not help. I guess when all else fails, RTFM.

Nov 10, 2008 at 4:31 AM Post #198 of 613
Sorry about this, guys. I have a warning and layout diagram on the Bantam DAC PCB catalog page at Beezar.com, too. So, hopefully the chances of this happening again will be reduced.

We actually thought even up to the time of the production boards that maybe the provision for the SOT23-5 version of the REG101 was more important (they use C16 in its silkscreened position). As it quickly turned out, the TPS chips are a no-brainer. We'll get it corrected on the next round of boards.

Nov 10, 2008 at 5:15 AM Post #199 of 613
Don't worry about it, I wasn't paying attention. That is all part of the fun anyways, isnt it?

I am using some Canare L-4E6S and that makes it a bit tough to do the cable dac, as there isnt a lot of room with the caps in the way.. I am using the 1uf Vishay/Roederstein caps, but I think I am going to replace them with the Wimas for better bass response, as I will use this on a lot of different soundsystems, and I know a bunch of the mixers I use are only 10k inputs. The only problem with that is even less room for the wires, Not a biggie, I will just need to strip back more of the jacket to maintain flexibility.

Damn, I ramble.

Nov 16, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #202 of 613
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What size VitaQ and what are the blue caps?

VitQ's are 0.68uF and Blue caps are 0.047uF MKP. I'm not sure if it really does something to bypass VitQ's, but at least I tried with some caps I had laying around for a while...

Nov 16, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #204 of 613
Quote:

Originally Posted by czegevara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want to buy Bantam Dac board through beezar.com site, but "page cannot be found". I there any other way to buy this little board?? (I'm from Poland...)

No. You should contact TomB regarding the Website issue, I'm sure it can be easily fixed.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 16, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #205 of 613
Quote:

Originally Posted by czegevara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want to buy Bantam Dac board through beezar.com site, but "page cannot be found". I there any other way to buy this little board?? (I'm from Poland...)

Can you be a bit more specific? How and from what page are you trying to access it? I'm not seeing any issues and can access it just fine on my end. I'm continuing to receive orders, too:

beezar.com welcome page

Nov 16, 2008 at 7:40 PM Post #206 of 613
Even when Im trying to use your link - it doesn't work - Error 104 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_FAILED). The same effect when I type beezar.com welcome page into the browser window. Im using IE and Chrome on Vista. I also have full acces to any other site and there is no firewall (only windows standard firewall).

Nov 18, 2008 at 2:43 AM Post #210 of 613
Hey there, Just ordered parts for 2 Bantam DAC yesterday night. Planning on mounting one in a mini³ with a switch and the other as a cable DAC.

I've been advised not to try this one yet because I only made 3 CMoy and 2 Mini³ up to now but I found those to be easy as pie to populate and tought I could give it a try.

I'd wanted to have any useful input(if there are) not mentionned in the already more than complete How-to from the Bantam DAC website by TomB.

I only fear the PCM2702 DAC soldering but will be more than careful with this little guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back