Comments for my PCM2702 DAC layout?
Aug 10, 2006 at 8:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 613

cetoole

1000+ Head-Fier
When I missed the 1st round of Alien DAC boards, I decided to do my own board layout to best suit what I wanted. The following is what I came up with. It measures 50x26mm, and for the most part, I just copied the schematic used by the Alien DAC, dropping the BUF634 section, as I only plan to have this bus powered, replaced the regulators with the SOT23-5 versions, which allows the use of TPS79333 and TPS793475 3.3v and 4.75v fixed regulators, which are less expensive than REG101, and pin compatible. I also went to 6.4x13.3 mm film coupling caps for the output, instead of 6.3mm electrolytics. Anyways, I am looking for comments on the DAC and layout, especially ones relating to how to improve it.
PCM2702DAC6.png

PCM2702DAC3sch.png

Aug 4, 2008 at 1:10 PM Post #9 of 613
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is very nice. How about squeezing one of those on the miniMax?
evil_smiley.gif

Nope - the fit is too tight. The regular MAX is a different matter, however.
wink.gif
wink.gif

Aug 6, 2008 at 4:50 PM Post #10 of 613
The prototype boards shown above are on their way to several people right now. Things have been a madhouse at work this week, but I hope to have a preliminary BOM posted tomorrow evening. Except for the SOT-23 regs, commonality with Alien DAC parts should only be limited by the pad sizes.

Aug 6, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #12 of 613
Quote:

Originally Posted by error401 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice work tomb, maybe a replacement for the AlienDAC project with its pesky, difficult to find SO-8 REG101s. The silk could use a bit of cleanup I guess, but other than that it looks great.

PS. You "stole" my DAC project name! http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/min...ve-i-v-292673/

I'm not tomb, but that is basically what this project was intended to be, when I missed the Alien DAC group buy, I redid the layout for my own preferences, and when I saw they were going to make more, I bought some of those, and put this on the back burner until now where the regs are getting extremely difficult to source. There is definitely a few things that need to be cleaned up, and that will happen before any more are made.

Sorry about the name issue, I didnt even think about it. Tom an I have just been calling it the mini DAC in our emails since we started looking at actually getting boards made for it, and just stuck with it as a name. That is the problem with generic names like miniDAC, they have already been used. Guess I could go back to the name of the folder the layout files are kept in on my PC, "PCM2702 DAC".

Aug 6, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #13 of 613
Quote:

Originally Posted by cetoole /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not tomb, but that is basically what this project was intended to be, when I missed the Alien DAC group buy, I redid the layout for my own preferences, and when I saw they were going to make more, I bought some of those, and put this on the back burner until now where the regs are getting extremely difficult to source. There is definitely a few things that need to be cleaned up, and that will happen before any more are made.

Sorry cetoole, I saw tomb's response and assumed he did it all! Silly me.

Quote:

Sorry about the name issue, I didnt even think about it.

Totally kidding, go ahead and use whatever name you want, I don't plan on my project going anywhere, and even if it did, it's such a generic name...

Aug 6, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #14 of 613
Well, I am tomb
wink.gif
. Colin and I make a great team and I feel privileged to work with him. However, I am not the acomplished board designer. My job is documentation and support.
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: Not a very good documenter at that, I guess this is another instance where I sat on the post too long before submitting it. Sorry for being redundant.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back