Coming soon: Comparison of $99-$150 sealed headphones
Jul 17, 2007 at 11:40 PM Post #91 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by qazwsx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually think foldables get in the way of things. It's nice for long term storage but when you're taking them out and throwing them in a bag actually folding them takes forever.

Hmm, I never thought of it that way. But, I always have a bag full of diapers and baby food on a plane, so folding helps me a lot, as does the ability to swivel the ear pads so I can take off the phones and rest them on my neck. Aside from that, size matters, from my POV. The smaller, the more portable. An IEM, for instance, would be extremely portable. Darth Beyers, doesn't strike me as such.

Anyhow, I'm curious to know the definition of portable from the eyes of the reviewer, so that it's clearly understood. YMMV clearly applies, but I need to understand it, to understand his ranking.

Quote:

And those Koss's are ugly. And apparently sound pretty ugly too.

I wasn't going to mention that.
wink.gif
The gold and black...I'm not too sure about that color combination. The pads look a bit odd too, but I didn't take a close look.

Jul 17, 2007 at 11:45 PM Post #92 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WOW, you people are IMPATIENT! I have listened enough to give you this:

SOUND QUALITY:

1. Sennheiser HD25-1 (recabled with Headphile BlackMax)
2. Denon D1000

What is the price of the HD25-1 with the BlackMax?
Is the sound quality rating the same with the standard HD25-1?

Jul 18, 2007 at 12:00 AM Post #93 of 141
Quote:

I actually think foldables get in the way of things. It's nice for long term storage but when you're taking them out and throwing them in a bag actually folding them takes forever.

And those Koss's are ugly. And apparently sound pretty ugly too.

EXACTLY. For me, portable means fairly small, hassle-free, durable. The Denon gets big points for having a shorter cable and a cable extender - the K81DJ loses a lot of points for coming with a hugely long cable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by alias71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the price of the HD25-1 with the BlackMax?
Is the sound quality rating the same with the standard HD25-1?

The Headphile cable adds a lot of expense - about $200. And no, it sounds FAR better than the stock cable. Again, that was just the reference.

Jul 18, 2007 at 12:07 AM Post #94 of 141
Can't wait for the full reviews.

Thanks for posting your initial impressions for those of us who just hate to wait.

Jul 18, 2007 at 1:55 AM Post #96 of 141
Hey Sky,
can you post some pics of the D1000 and D2000 side by side?

Thanks

Jul 18, 2007 at 3:03 AM Post #98 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by big-fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im pretty sure AKG K81DJ doesn't deserve 4th place..

...I'm not surprised. K81DJ's, are not one of the top performing headphones in my eyes. They are good for the money, but they weren't great.

Jul 18, 2007 at 3:07 AM Post #99 of 141
You have to understand you won't have the same opinions as him. You will both have different taste.

That's why you have to wait for the full review as he would go into deatail about the sound signature (I hope). And what he may feel is a negative aspect of the headphone, you may feel is a positive.

Not everyone is the same, or we would only have one headphone to rule them all.

Jul 18, 2007 at 3:25 AM Post #100 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by big-fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im pretty sure AKG K81DJ doesn't deserve 4th place..

4 place in terms of that?

If its in regards to portability, i'd rank it number 1 if it werent for that overly long ridiculous cable. It's WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too long.

Jul 18, 2007 at 5:53 AM Post #103 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I'm not surprised. K81DJ's, are not one of the top performing headphones in my eyes. They are good for the money, but they weren't great.

I agree. Relative to that grouping, the K81DJ is about right, though I love it at the office. I think 4th and 5th will be very close, with trade-offs for various circumstances. The isolation is a bit surprising, that the RP-21 beat it out since everyone said it's not great for isolation. The K81DJ is great, IMO, just behond the HD 25-1 and HD 280.

Jul 18, 2007 at 1:14 PM Post #105 of 141
As much as I love the HD25-1's, I don't find them particularly comfortable. Nor did I find the K81DJ to be. Both will rate "fair to poor" in that category when I publish the whole review (if you guys ever let me, lol)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back