Comic Books!
Jan 3, 2006 at 10:56 AM Post #16 of 42
Currently in my reading stack:

- The Filth (Grant Morrison)
- It's a Good Life, if You don't Weaken (Seth)
- Fray (Joss Whedon)
- Terminal City (Motter & Lark)
- Astro City (Busiek)
- The Fixer & Palestine (Sacco)
- Artesia (Smylie)
- Epileptic (David B.)
- Age of Bronze (Shanower)
- 5 is the Perfect Number (Igort)
- Persepolis 1 & 2 (Satrapi)
- Blankets (Thompson)
- Blood Song (Drooker)
- Promethea (Moore)

(no comments yet on those)

... which was brought on by re-reading some of the 80's Classics:

- Dark Knight Returns (Miller)
- V for Vendetta (Moore)
- Watchmen (Moore)
- Bacchus (Campbell)
- Cerebus (Sim)
- Sandman (Gaiman)
- The Adventures of Luther Arkwright (Talbot)
- Hellblazer (esp. Delano and Ennis)
- Animal Man (Morrison)
- Lone Wolf & Cub (Koike & Kojima)
- Swamp Thing (Moore)
- From Hell (Moore)

(all highly recommended )

So yes, still reading Comics, but now wading through Catch-22 (Heller) while comics are on hold.

Jan 3, 2006 at 2:47 PM Post #17 of 42
I gave up The Filth after a few issues
tongue.gif
Too difficult for me to comprehend.

Currently reading the Walking Dead and Y The Last Man.

Also collected alot of ALIENS comics too.

Jan 3, 2006 at 3:04 PM Post #18 of 42
I gave up collecting about two and a half years ago. I just couldn't justify the cost anymore. Prices have gotten way out of hand and I don't see how the comics industry can attract new readers let alone kids. Storage also became an issue for me and when I moved last year I threw out most of what I didn't want. I was able to sell some stuff on Ebay but based on other auctions, a lot of what I had would only bring pennies per issue if any bids at all.

The other thing that had me frustrated with the industry were all the revamps, "shocking revelations" of things that supposedly happened 30 years ago, and storylines done for sensationalism only (e.g. so and so becomes a villan, so and so gets killed, so and so comes back to life, "the story that changes the Marvel/DC universe forever").

It will be interesting to see if the industry will still be around in 20 years. If it wasn't for the licensing of characters for movies, toys, etc., some companies probably would have gone under by now, Marvel in particular, who's only saving grace was the development of CGI so that they could finally get some decent movies made.

Jan 3, 2006 at 3:17 PM Post #19 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticaldodo
I gave up The Filth after a few issues
tongue.gif
Too difficult for me to comprehend.

Currently reading the Walking Dead and Y The Last Man.

Also collected alot of ALIENS comics too.

It's an old-time Grant Morrison theme: the Good Guys are really Bad Guys, while, if you look at the Bad Guys from a slightly altered perspective, you'll see they're the Good Guys. As per The Invisibles. GM is a big believer in the radical perversity/improbability of human nature. Still, every once in a while, he seems to relent and suggest there are some core values that deserve special nuturing, like benevolence and kindness and forgiveness. Then he seems to freak out at the prospect of being a humanist and promptly gets infected with cell-cannibalising bacteria while he his tripping on endorphine-analogue to The Pet Shop Boys on an interdimensional school-outing to Paris during the Reign of Terror. The bus driver is a Scissorman. The Marquis de Sade gets to hold his lunchbox.

Jan 3, 2006 at 4:02 PM Post #20 of 42
The very last bunch I used to subscribe to were "nostalgia" comics like Battle of the Planets and Street Fighter. But now I just wait until the next Ranma graphic novel comes out and buy it, and the rest I read in the bookstore. My friend still subscribes to ALL the Batman-related books, even the Outriders lol.

Jan 3, 2006 at 7:33 PM Post #21 of 42
been reading the following books/series (tpb's), some I'm reading from the beginning, some I'm up to date with:

The Authority
The Goon
Ultimate Xmen
Ultimate Spidey
League of Extraodinary Gentlemen Vol II
various X titles following house of M
Infinite Crisis

need to read
Planetary
Ultimates 2

i'm forgetting what else, but i usually carry home a large stack o books every week or two
biggrin.gif

Jan 3, 2006 at 7:53 PM Post #22 of 42
Long time reader here...Followed the X-men from day 1 and still get most of their titles monthly (never got into Wolverine's series though, for me, he's da man in the movies..weird). Any truth to the wicked rumour that there won't be any Mystique in X-3? I hears somewhere that she was ticked that the make-up took too long to put on....I hope I'm dead wrong.
Just finished all 7 GN's of Sin City...a great read. Now I need to see the DVD with the extras..worth it, anyone? How much did they add back in in the end?
Also finished V for Vendetta and Watchmen this past year. A big Alan Moore year for me.

Jan 3, 2006 at 10:02 PM Post #23 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
My friend still subscribes to ALL the Batman-related books, even the Outriders lol.

And there's something wrong with that? Batman is badass, as is Robin and Nightwing.

And I imagine you mean Outsiders... friggin' non-comic people...
biggrin.gif

Edit:

nanahachi: You DEFINITELY need to read Planetary, the first two trades alone make the series wonderful for me, even if it's constantly ridiculously late. I only get the Ultimates (2) in trade, but I'm enjoying it. Have you ever read Darwyn Cooke's New Frontier (DC)?

NacMacFeegle: Eh, the same was said about Mystique in the 2nd X-Men film, but apparently if you throw enough money at her she's willing to do just about anything. I've read that the special edition of the Sin City dvd is very excellent and well worth it, but that's about all I know about it.

Jan 7, 2006 at 3:37 AM Post #24 of 42
hmmm, what else did I used to read (and still have stacked up somewhere back home). other than a lot of anything 2000AD or Judge Dread related:

- Aliens (The 4 parter, "Labyrinth" was killer)
- Punisher (especially the War Journals (I have 1 - 50))
- Batman (Anyone remember a 4 parter where the riddler led Batman into doing a series of "activities" that would spawn a demon or something? eg: dancing with the dead, slitting a baby's throat etc etc. Really dark. great stuff)
- Sin City (The movie was GREAT wasnt it? one of the best comic --> movies ever)
- Akira

Now reading:

- Japanese Manga series (translated to English) called Vagabond. very cool.

Jan 7, 2006 at 9:26 PM Post #25 of 42
docta: yeah, just saw the Sin City movie for the first time a couple of nights ago, I thought it was fantastic. Got a huge kick when it included my flat-out favourite moment from the comics, exactly as it happened - miho shoots the mafia-comic-relief-henchman with an arrow. I love the way the comics were basically used as the movie's storyboard, so many shots taken exactly from the comics. Great stuff.

Jan 8, 2006 at 3:05 AM Post #26 of 42
oh yeah, the scene where he's just standing there with an arrow through his chest and very calmly saying "hey guys, this kinda hurts". yeah, classic.

I was also waiting to see how they did the scene of Miho slicing up the car full of thugs and then finally finishing off the cop. another great scene.

In fact, I cant think of a bad scene throughout the entire movie.

Jan 8, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #27 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by halcyon
Currently in my reading stack:

- The Filth (Grant Morrison)
- It's a Good Life, if You don't Weaken (Seth)
- Fray (Joss Whedon)
- Terminal City (Motter & Lark)
- Astro City (Busiek)
- The Fixer & Palestine (Sacco)
- Artesia (Smylie)
- Epileptic (David B.)

Epileptic is a freakin masterpiece and I strongly encourage you to read it two or three times - if you like it, check out Satrapi's "Persepolis" and Ware's "Jimmy Corrigan"

never been a big seth fan but then again I've only read his early stuff and It's a good life.

Jason Lutes - jar of fools is tres bien.

I'm reading TinTin en francais so it's difficult but fun.

Jan 9, 2006 at 12:05 PM Post #28 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepkyng
Epileptic is a freakin masterpiece and I strongly encourage you to read it two or three times - if you like it, check out Satrapi's "Persepolis" and Ware's "Jimmy Corrigan"
Jason Lutes - jar of fools is tres bien.

Thanks for the comments. I have Persepolis, Jimmy Corrigan (great!) and Jar of Fools (also good).

I forgot to put Love & Rockets (Hernandez) in the "old-but-good" category. Don't have nearly all the stuff as I think the quality varies, but in general even the mediocre stuff is so much better than the average output from most others.

I'm still trying to find something worthwhile in the day-to-day comics genre (i.e. so called superheroes), because I (mis)spent my childhood with that. It's hard to depart with it, although 99% of the stuff is inane stuff or boring recycling, imho.

BTW, I really never liked Planetary & Frequency by Ellis, and fail to understand what all the fuss is about. It's not bad, I can say that, but doesn't do anything special for me. Then again, I never saw the genius of Whedon either, but had to at least try 'Fray'.

I'm only slowly reading Y - The Last Man and even that is imho tons better, although not my top100 stuff.

Preacher... must dig out the old stuff. Maybe I'll still like them.

Good thread, keep recommendations coming!

Have any of you read any of the European classics?

- Le sang du flamboyant (Auclair, Claude & Migeat) - great silent b&w classics, excellent inking & drawing

- La foire aux immortels (Enki Bilal) - power, violence and stupidity of rulers (or humans in general)

- Squeak the Mouse (Mattioli) - splatter, hc & slapstick, itchy & scratchy to the power of five. Not for kids.

- Philémon series (Fred) - surreal, almost like children's stories, but then not
smily_headphones1.gif

- Corto Maltese (Pratt) - classic, although cliched by modern standards as it's so copied

- Tintin (Hergé) - a classic and rare breath of fresh air, even when I re-visit them
smily_headphones1.gif

- Incal, Blueberry, etc. (Moebius/Giraud) - from sci-fi to euro-western

- Der Bewegte Mann (König) - A human relationship drama done differently. A hilarious classic, even if you don't like the drawing style

- Ankardo (Sokal) - an alcoholic duck as an anti-hero detective. What more can you ask?
smily_headphones1.gif

My short list only scratches the surface, there's so many gems to be discovered. Heartily recommended. I'm ignoring British comics now, as it's a whole world to it's own (and sometimes very near to American comcis).

There are English language editions of most, I just don't have them in English myself.

Jan 9, 2006 at 3:44 PM Post #30 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuffMorgan
And there's something wrong with that? Batman is badass, as is Robin and Nightwing.

And I imagine you mean Outsiders... friggin' non-comic people...
biggrin.gif

LOL oh yeah Outsiders. C'mon, doesn't Outriders sound better? I have to admit, I got tempted to buy those Jim Lee batman books, but I think I'll just read my friend's copies (if he lets me take them out of the taped baggies)
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back